Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hubcaps......please post up some pictures.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Happy, May 15, 2007.

1. Happy

Happy

......My first post for info. Thanks in advance for any input. I'm interested to see some hubcap photos. Full car shots would be great and please post what caps they are. I'm just starting a build on a 1960 F100. I'll be running the 223 six in it and plan on an 8-9" total drop. I'll be running the factory springs with every other leaf removed, 3" dropped I-beam, rear axle flipped and the remainder of the drop will come from a 2-3" channel job. I want to run steel wheels with wheel covers and would love to see some photo's of what you guys are running...doesn't need to be a truck. I'd like to use these to copy and paste and see what looks good on it. I can then start the hunt.

This is just a scanned photo of the truck as I got it. I wanted to see what an 8" drop would look like. Please excuse the quality but it's just a concept. These are mid fifties Oldsmobile caps popped over the white wagon wheels the truck had on it when I got it.

Attached Files:

2. shop truck!

Attached Files:

3. sociallydistorted

sociallydistorted

[​IMG]

Here's my '60 with my new hubcaps. I lowered the front yesterday with a drop axle and leafs. I'm dropping the rear tomorrow.

4. Gas Huffer

Gas Huffer

5. Be original.

Combine a wheel cover and knock off spinner, cone, spider or the like to create your own wheel cover.

Commonly done back in the day - late 50's - and it was common to shoot some gold metalflake into some areas of the wheel cover as a background to the 'flippers.'

Most commonly done on Olds Fiestas, both the 55 and 56 versions as well as the Dodge Lancers.

I made a pretty good looking wheel cover out of a set of 54 Buick wheel covers.
    Removed the red plastic center and adapted some two-bar knockoffs from some imitiation wire wheel, wheel covers.
    You couldn't tell they were Buick covers at first glance.

Scalloped Moon discs were done now and then.
    Usually a three or four cornered scallop in a dark color and pin striped with a white border.
    Some imagination, a little paint and masking tape works wonders.

Some of the hubcaps off the economy versions of Fords and Chevy's were used as well.
    56 Chevy small hubcaps pop right onto 50 Ford wheels and with the good looking 50 Ford beauty rings it made for a good looking wheel/cap/tire combo.

Got a lathe?
    Machine up a set of billet caps in a rounded style, polish well and have a wheel like no other.

Running mags?
    Preferably old style.
    Make an adapter to pop an early hubcap directly onto the mag wheel.
    Here's a pic of one I did . . . 32 caps on slot mags.

An interesting looking wheel I mocked up was a 13" Moon screw-on disc set inside a 10" wide 15" diameter slot mag.
    Made for a different look and the 13" Moon disc would probably fit the 14" slot mag up front.
    A real trick with this one would be to order un-drilled Moon discs and hide the mounting screws.

Just use your imagination and knock something out on your own.
    Preferably something that's not real easy to duplicate....:cool:

Attached Files:

6. Happy

Happy

Thanks for the great input guys.

7. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Here are a couple '57 Caddy cap ideas and my '60 F100 running '55 Ford caps.

Attached Files:

8. ARCHANGEL

ARCHANGEL