Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

There’s not enough room. But if I use copper rivets they will blend in a little with the aging process I hope. [​IMG]
    Unless I take a notch out in the middle where the hole is? Good idea Matt I’ll ponder on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

A nicely formed round head copper rivet would also look pretty cool.

brEad, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Not a bad use for a shelf cleat haha. Looking good man :)

Stogy, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hubba2020V6 (1).jpg
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-6-5-20.1195961/page-2#post-13615141

:rolleyes:... @Runnin shine I worked this a bit...added some other details...again just something to appreciate and look at it as a plausible reality...even if just in inspiration...

I have a raw, bare metal prepped look well underway as an unfinished look as now might be a desired stepping stone...

Have you been following @Nailhead Jason's Thread on restoring paint on his sedan? Spray bomb touchup and buff...

I understand the appreciation the Driven Look...often referred to as part of the Soul...

I think the solder sounds a better choice maybe Silver Solder?...a Domed Head Rivet will not have a even surface to seat on possibly deforming/dimpling the Vent/Blade after forming...

Perhaps there are reproduction avitation cables for period aircraft that can be sourced that have a lock feature as you were discussing earlier...

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Stogy the next time you play around with that image can you try something for me?

In the front where you have round belly’s connecting the streamers can you flatten it out?

imagine that each flame/stream is like a piece of paper torn into that shape. So where they meet at the grill/ front of the car would have a look more like you’d get with them over lapping each other. Like a very un regular triangle or D shape. Does that make since?

lol might been easier for me to draw it than ramble about it half asleep.

I think what I don’t like about it with the round part is it feels like your clashing a more “hot rod flame”’ round curvy with the chunky torn look of very early “flame” shapes.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@Tim, you are correct. That curve especially the one on the grill shell corner is what makes it look in the realm of flames. I’ve found no 40s racers with that on the style “I’M” digging. They have straight V parts where the stringers come together.
    Something I noticed too with the @Stogy inspiration shots is he some how flattened my widow opening. I think this steals away from the aggressive stance I see here at home even with the front of the car sitting up a couple inches.
    IMG_0815.JPG
    Ted recently added to the nays list of hiding the body lines and my work. I will not run a streamer over the beltline though that’s not what you guys are meaning. Also I am not trying to showcase what I’ve done to the car. It’s really supposed to be a 32 forgery anyhow. Perhaps a 32 1/2? I’m even getting 32 wheel well panels on the way. I have no intentions of pointing out it is a morphadite. I’m just a poser.
    On a final note I love the work Steve has done to help me. I however I will not be running hub caps. I think they make it look wimpy.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Stogy and brEad like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah reminds me of hells Messenger, I wonder if he didn’t use an earlier photo before you chopped it even more for his starting point?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yep, Hells Messenger I studied for this though mine is much less exaggerated. The angle chop and 5” shortened quarter panels are my saving grace from the dreaded Tudor pancake effect. Closer to one of my other favs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Wyatt
    That car is even more wicked in real life. And the three window Brad is building now is just as well proportioned if not better.

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I spent more time worshiping on Bad Brad build then just about any. So jealous of is old chrome rear axle, spring, and drive shaft tube!
    I fully expect Hubba Hubba to be viewed as equally wicked when completed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The rest of the blower is on the way! Except for the pulleys, snout coupler/shaft/bearings/seals. The actual snout itself I will fabricate later once I can get the block in the chassis. I need to do a little more thinking on my intake manifold still. No going back now , Blown Flatty hold the Nitro, comin right up! Well for now anyway

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I also did buy a pair of Brookville 32 wheel well panels. I have no idea if the match the 34’s radius. I am afraid the will be too small but I wanted 32’s so I deal with it.

chryslerfan55, Tim and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am working on another with reworks in the side window area as you pointed out and also modding the licks around the beltlines and the way they meet towards the Shell...and caps will be removed...;)...its not uncommon for stuff to get off with the jello like ease of distortions...The other difficulty is things like voids were metal is missing like the aft section behind the door and that fwd door area...I have to improvise...but hey that's what makes it interesting of course...:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    I know I’ve talked about this little guy before, sorry. I re-mild polished the lever just now. I used steel wool then Mother’s. It has a old look to me. It’s not pro buff quality. This may be the way I bring my intake and blower to a shine that doesn’t seem modern. Previously I thought I would finish off with only compound and nothing finer or fancy. Sorta like how I plan to hand rub the body’s lacquer with old dirty socks that I drop on the garage floor.
    For the layperson I of course have to grind and sand down the casting finish first.
    The paint on the Do-Ray keeps falling off. Do-U think I should give it the dash/steering wheel green/stainless combo? Remember it will clamp to the chrome column. I fear that’s getting excessive.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. rustoleum makes a hammered tone paint, in silver, that is a pretty good match to that turn signal switch. must be sprayed heavy to match the finish.

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    More pieces to the puzzle showed up today. You know what’s goin down tonight!

Got to match this little bit I did before the machining.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Is the main case mag as well?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

No just the rear bearing support end plate. I’m not that lucky but I’ll keep looking for more.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Am I correct in thinking the 3-71 is the same ends and drive as a 4&6-71?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

IMG_0921.JPG
    Last night barely scratched the surface, pun. Grinding around all the bolt bosses is a real hoot. It’s gonna take a lot longer that’s for sure. I also am slowly looking for the right amount of crappy polish I’m after. It needs to match my heads nice and good. Last nights research showed hopeful prospects. Good news is I’m purposely not after show polish of today’s standards. Will be skipping some fine grit steps. First knocking down the main casting texture with 80 and some small 100 sanding discs on the air grinders. Tonight I’ll try some of those roll jobs in the corners. But then I’ve used some 220 and 320? Paper by hand. I’m not wet sanding any of it. Just trying steel wool which I think is helping hold it back. Of course there’s Mother’s and dirty socks. Gonna have to retrace a bunch of areas for the air grinder discs marks. If you don’t get them out the curved scratches look terrible. I hope to have plenty of imperfections, just the right ones though. Doing the main blower housing after pruning and the intake manifold is going to be a arduous task.
    I am investigating vintage aircraft bolts to have something period and cool to hold it all together.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Studs,castle nuts and safety wire!

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    I didn’t get to go back to grinding the front cover yesterday. I am however calculating a way for the generator mount to hold a combination belt tensioner and snout support. Anything that can help belt slippage will not be for naught. I plan to do four V-belts.

25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Do you have a manifold already? Or are you going to weld a plate onto a stocker?

loudbang likes this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    The plan is still to try this. A couple problems arose after milling though. I didn’t take it to account that the manifold when milled square the rear ports loose some height. The stock intake adjusts for the engine tilt for driveline angle. So I need to weld on a spacer/riser/collar deal before welding on the plate that will become the flange. It needs space for the runners to have equal flow potential and some plenum volume. This spacer will give me a place to install a pop off valve or two after I make’m.
    It’s not just about bolting a huffer on it for me. It’s actually about making power.
    I’m disheartened by the math that even on Methanol I still won’t be on Judy’s heels, crap that sounds sexist, on Judy’s pushbar?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Got two more qualified hood hinge strip mounts. The others can go to my pickup now. No big deal to some but I'm super-stoked. "its in the details baby!"

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Who is Judy?

loudbang likes this.
  29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

chryslerfan55 likes this.