Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Wyatt, I know where you are coming from as I have not got much done since my last cancer treatment over a month ago. Energy level is just not up to par yet. Did get the 3 window out and make it to the dirt drags and that has been it so far.
    It sucks getting old...

Cyclone Kevin and Runnin shine like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I’m the only guy on the HAMB who is childish enough to admit this excites me.
    Before 2018 Meltdowns
    [​IMG]
    After $10 in swap meet
    [​IMG]
    “When I die bury me with my old chrome on”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  4. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Old chrome rocks.

Stogy, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah Rick, maybe someday me and you can go terrorize these Lafayette streets with all this sparkle. I don’t mean reckless driving, I’d hate for you to have to come out of retirement and arrest us both or whoever was driving at the time

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Through in the towel on the passenger side suicide door safety latch. Instead of making a reverse clone of the first one I purchased. I bought a second and cut the top portion off and welded it back on in the opposite direction. I also hammered the lower indent flat and then out as well. It looked cleaner the first attempt. But I had only put it back to stock. Then I got it right the second time. Now a few heavy coats of primer, some drab olive, and light aging. I plan to make the knob part red and maybe a yellow and black arrow decal to help fools lock the doors right if they steal my car.
    Then maybe I’ll be motivated to finish the seats.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Progress is progress man :) looks good

slv63, kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

9. No problem!

loudbang and Tim like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Scrub a dub dub

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mmmmmmm....the bowels...:D

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This is my “spare” motor. I had intended to use it in an A-v8 roadster down the pipeline that I’ve been collecting extra parts for.
    Almost every time my stepfather visits I lament about how much it is going to set me back to build the engine for the Tudor. On the most recent visit he asks about the second one. I says well it is hopefully not my spare block if the first checks out ok. I would like to build it on the cheap and much milder than what I want for Hubba Hubba. If that works out it will get used later and it’ll be ok to sell cause I wouldn’t have spent endless hours cutting, polishing, stroking the crank, getting everything balanced, porting and relieving the block, spending a fortune on rods, billet main caps, Pistons, file fitting rings, getting huge valve seats installed, pricey valves, dual springs, expensive oil pump, custom Pistons, ARP studs and bolts, aluminum flywheel and so on. Of course he says why don’t you get this one running and it will motivate you to make a step forward for a lot less money and effort. Then you save and work on the good motor with less pressure and you can have the car finished sooner. The slow motor will be worked out and ready for the next build, you don’t have to fudge with it and it will help that project move along quicker. If it’s so boring in the Tudor that can help motivate you to finish good motor but the car is still already usable.
    I thought on this long and hard. It is tuff to stomach spending money on a second engine that could go towards the first. I really set myself on a cash register ring heavy trail to blaze with my goals for the “good” engine. And with me now so set on soon running a blower with the four chrome 94s? It’s even cha-chingier. I’m sure my Edmunds heads won’t work well with a super charger without a piston swap. And I love my Edmunds intake and head combo. Can’t use that intake anymore. I have figured I’d just roll them down river once I get the 4-71 and blower intake. I have a Hexagon tool intake on the way for the “slow” motor. Now it may wait it’s turn on the shelf.
    So I procured another Merc crank and have decided to build a softer version of what I had first wanted out of this second tired stock block. This time though the plan is no stroking to 4 1/8, no grinding on the crank, stock rods, maybe 3.313” forged Arias 3 rings, I have unneeded new small 1.57 and 1.51 stainless valves, will get new valve guides, springs and other crap in there, I want to tweak the block reliefs a little and port some but nothing risky and exhausting like I envisioned for the big dog. I’ll use my Isky 400jr and Johnson lifters. The blower motor would probably benefit from a specialized cam anyway. So the Edmunds intake and heads will go on this motor if not at least temporarily and probably my aluminum flywheel too. I can use my Harmon Collins distributor for now but I’ll finish the clone I started on for this motor when it leaves my tenure. Obviously it’s all much more complicated than this post.
    My goal is to get this block checked out and machined on pronto, like weeks outa here pronto. I need a good kick in the butt and this could be the jump start.
    Now let’s see what the inside of that trans looks like
    Yeah lots of words lots of thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    ct1932ford, 383deuce, brEad and 4 others like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good call.

I was going to say sometimes it’s easier to get the car tuned- brakes, steering, suspension etc- when you don’t have the monster motor in it right away. But your building a Flathead so how much difference could there be lol

Kidding ;)

Sorta.

Seriously though sounds like a good way to get you on the road quicker and motivate you to get the nasty motor built

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks for the support Tim.
    Yeah a lot of this has to do with that lust to put a huff’r on. I don’t really have that kind of money. I don’t think it goes well with my build theme. I also don’t want to wait forever. I figured after driving the car for a year or two I wouldn’t care so much about the induction’s era accuracy. I can always leave the hood down if I’m concerned about showing the big ugly box on top of my engine. I’ve been dreading the cost of balancing the bottom end and getting top quality Flathead machine work and especially giant valve seats properly installed.
    With this motor I’ll just go locally and not so hardcore race about everything. It should be 80-90% of the original motor I dreamt up at much much less money. Hell I’m still bummed about the $300 oil pump I got but know I needed. This motor? Stock replacement. Same attitude about must of it. I hope I can salvage between the two engines a decent set of head studs, cost... zero fitty. ARP? Way too much mullah.
    I didn’t think the car would take so long to finish when I started grinding my crank and planning a 4 1/8 or 1/4” stroke. I knew the large valve swap would cost and be a chore to find a good machine shop. Now three years later I’m starting to worry the car can’t be finished in another three years. I haven’t been able to do jack all summer.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sure as heck know enough about this to build either level of motive power and there wherewithal to pull it off either way. I'm happy going with the vintage flow and all levels of used and driven ambience.

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Block is ready.

Ha! I wish. Just pretending but could you imagine if got to this point soon?

kidcampbell71 and Tim like this.
  17. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Who you using for machine work? I know Banes on Earl has built some flatheads. I also have a buddy who built a flathead years ago and he used somebody in Greenwood Indiana I think?

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Coincidentally I believe it is Banes that I want to stop by this week. I only opened my eyes to their building a few weeks ago once I started to make plans for doing this lesser than motor.
    I looked for your truck the other day when I saw these two dudes at the amphitheater by the river.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Homer, (BANES) is a good guy and a fellow enthusiast. He has built a couple of flatheads for some guys in Dayton, and he is a character as well. He has helped me on several of my projects.
    The amphitheater? What was going on there? Steam and Power show was the same day as the Market Square show.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Well I am sad to say that I can’t help myself from stretching the boundaries of period headers on this b!tch. I’m kind of a exhaust snob actually. Ive wanted a raw steel header that’s blued from heat and proper tune. One that is sweeping back into my 36 driveshaft tubes to right before the rear tires as one complete unit per side. I’ve also wanted to toy with a equal length 3 into one merg collector style. To obtain a racer look more than a real scavenging effect. I have done a fair quick amount of research on this for Flatty’s and it seems it won’t make much of a difference with the crappy exhaust flow situation. But boy can it look rad. I plan to go more technical than this example and with more of a typical lead primary pipe style, steering box allowing, that flows at a familiar angle back to the collector. I don’t want a flange and most likely use a stainless wide exhaust band clamp.
    [​IMG]
    I’ve chosen stainless and was just about to order the tubing sections.
    Monday my twins started Kindergarten and I had grand plans of using my new six hour free days. I was gonna finish the motor disassembly, toy with me and Mark’s Pines grill parts, and so much more, plus house chores to boot. Well...
    I’m about to head out to the friendly box store for some stuff to get it all rollin and the wife gets a phone call. Our twins are adopted if you haven’t followed my ranting. We’ve had them since new, “you might say we picked’m up at the factory, it’s a lot cheaper that way”. It was DCS and they had removed our kids 4 younger siblings from the biological mother. Now it was practically a snap decision to decide to get these traumatized 4, 3, 2, yr and 9 month olds off a office floor. We knew we could never handle the nine month old along with the others but oh how naive we were for the rest. These three are seriously more delayed, abused and generally F’d up than the ones we’ve raised and we have already cried “Uncle” but are going to have to hold out while they locate foster care parents who will take them on or even sadly each individually. We are at or past our maximum mental and physical capacity and must important is our twins are transitioning to the new home environment drastically worse than we thought. Anyhoo yada yada you get the drift. Hubba Hubba has to be ignored until these innocent troubled youths find safe harbor. Sorry friends sometimes life throws you solid lifters when you should have settled for hydraulics and lemons? I don’t know anymore I haven’t really slept or ate in days.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    ct1932ford, jerseyboy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’ll come back around to you man. Some timing set backs because you decided to do what you could in helping those kids is more than justified.

Runnin shine and Stogy like this.
  22. slv63

slv63

We recently adopted a teenager from a foreign country. So I know some of what you mean by the trauma that these kids have experienced and how that effects them. The brokenness that occurs when kids become orphans, occurring even before they are born, messes them up so much. They are not like other kids. May God bless you for taking a hard road in raising these kids and for trying to help the siblings too.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Sounds like your children's bio mom needs a serious talk about family planning, perhaps even at gun point.

Kids are our future, the shit people put them through is criminal.

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

No she’s a messed up, low faculty, through the system, abused, young girl herself. Never been taught right even if she could retain it anyway. She’s not to blame we as a society are. No one gives much a shit until it’s to late. Most my life I’ve noticed way more effort and upset is spent on unborn question marks than all living humans especially if you can’t put a face to the idea. Let’s not forget the men who take advantage of broken women and no responsibility. Remember now far too many run control center operations out of their sweaty lower level that spends most its time in the dark. Yes I get riled up about the deep stuff.
    But let’s not let my Bitch’ n thread get shut down.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Thank you and your wife for caring enough to step up and do more than your part in helping these innocent victims have a chance at a better life! Sadly there aren't enough who are willing or able to help these unfortunate kids learn what life should be like for kids.

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Update I took the three children to be placed with another foster family a few counties north of here. They will be with there 9month old sibling. We hope for their well being, and to hopefully retain some contact maybe as pseudo aunt, uncle, cousins roll for now to not get so complicated
    Now back to our regular programming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My good fabricator friend Dennis had just finished a set of headers recently. He offered up some scraps and to Tig in a three tube configuration the pieces to finish off my merge collectors similar to these above. This will save me another step. Hope he does it soon cause I can’t wait to hold some tube together with tape and pretend a little.
    I obviously can’t build the headers until I can set a block in the chassis. I will have to make the motor mount off the front of the block first.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  27. x2. Good on you for stepping up when called. Love each of your threads. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Runnin shine and tb33anda3rd like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I’ve been fighting head studs for a big chunk of today. They are coming out just tedious. Should be done tomorrow morning.
    After seeing homemadehardtop Jerry post his beautiful spark plug wires and caps for his magneto it reminded me I never bought any for my nos Packard wires I’m going to use
    [​IMG]
    So I bought eight of these Sealtight kind like this.
    [​IMG]
    If anyone has a pic of some on a Flathead I’d love to see it.
    I am planning on finally putting the dimming warbird instrument lights in my dash tomorrow too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    ct1932ford, Tim, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  29. Just checking in to see what condition your condition is in.
    You are good people for trying to establish some normalcy in those kids lives.
    Respect.