Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holes allow the bullets to slide into you without a bit of a fight...;)...Speaking of bomber/fighter seats the Lancaster Bomber I was helping restore the pilot seat had a 1'4" plate at head level about 10"x 7" approx and it was literally armour plate to protect the back of your head from pointy fast moving objects...hell in the sky it was...

In the much safer environment of the Hotrod I suppose they provide some form of ventilation...so yeah the fine line is the question

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I think they look neat with only the four holes.

Your build doesn't follow the crowd, why make the seats the same as everyone else does?

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Matt! Definitely don’t want them like everyone else make theirs. That’s why I made that previous comment. Clearly they are not meant to clone a one warbird seat. I would have just started from scratch if I wanted to do that even if I probably would have failed. I just hope they look wwii military to most. Like @Tim said where you wonder what they came from. They already will seem weird with the cushions and tilt bottom. When the seat belts are laid across it really helps. I assume the paint and de stressing will take it further. I have to remember I started with something that cost a measly $15.
    Today I’m thinking no holes in between the bead lines. This is where it may be getting obnoxious. The side one was the first I wanted to add. P-51 have a single large hole on the side and that was what I was thinking when I marked it. I may look at it moved up and back a tiny bit. I think the dark green will soften the look of any holes. I really wish the dang phenolic knobs would get here already. I have the base attachments figured out too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also think it needs the dimple going outwards as to not grate any love handles like Romano cheese?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, jerseyboy, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Alright!
    [​IMG]
    My intentions are to use one on each panel outside to activate the release latch for the seat to tilt forward so access to the back seat is possible.
    Then...
    [​IMG]
    Something like this on both side of the seats to rock the base up or down.
    I know the it’s a little corny but since the theater seat always pivoted I just couldn’t see them any other way. I had hoped all these handles would add to the purpose built look and maybe cloud further scrutiny of the seats themselves. I think the seatbelts will do this as well.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can’t wait, although this pic isn’t very flattering to my current prospects
    [​IMG]

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

And this is what I do to nice $25 like new Vintique chrome radiator caps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not that I have to apologize to the haters but I do this stuff cause I can’t afford some of the crazy original parts. Not cause I’m some big liar. I try really hard to purchase old Henry cast offs. My budget has limits I and I work really hard on these faux parts. I take pride that I didn’t just order it from Speedway and slap it on, not that there’s anything wrong with that either
    Yes I know I’m crazy and I share this with you since we all can’t hang in the garage

7. Hey Wyatt,
    That's my cap!!
    What did you do, piss on it for 3 years???!!!!
    Looks great!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I did! A few times, and left it outside in the dirt over the winter but it didn’t really do anything. So I sanded it down and started over.

loudbang, Stogy and Tony Martino like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Stogy likes this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have a rechromed 34 Chevy cap you could have had....

Runnin shine likes this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I have a similar looking original 33 commercial for my pickup. I think they are cool and I’ve been completely unsuccessful finding a correct 32.

dumprat likes this.
  12. Wyatt,
    Got the Deluxe Mag along with the surprise ya sent me.....The drawing is soooooo dam cool. I am going to frame it and hang it in the shop. Can't thank you enough for sending me this cool stuff. You rock !
    I like the direction you are going with the seats. THANK'S

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  13. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Speaking of the seatbelts... I know you’re trying not to overthink the holes in the side of the seats but I have a question. How are you planning to route your seatbelts? If you’ve already addressed this I may have missed it but I was curious if you were going to have the seatbelts go through the side of the seat and if that would affect the hole placement?

loudbang, Runnin shine and Stogy like this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

They will just go over the sides like this
    [​IMG]
    Do to the seat base and cushion even a skinny person would have plenty of lap belt pressure. Yes it would just go straight across the sides I think if the base was an empty pan.
    The belts will bolt to the lower sides after I make and rivet a reinforcement plate that also holds the latches for the flip forward.
    [​IMG]
    In the front side bottom will be another riveted on small plate bracket that is for the pivot mount.
    These brackets I have imagined will help the finish of the look of the seats I believe. Especially with the awesome phenolic knobs.
    Oh I put the single holes in the sides. I think they look fine. The seat belts will pass just below and in front of the holes. The holes are 2” the seat belts are 3”.

Shadow Creek, brEad and Stogy like this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Single hole.
    I started messing with the fabric late last night. I may have to sew the bottom cushion cover out of three pieces like they had the base upholstered already. I hope to have these things finished really soon. My brain is getting in full body mode.

jerseyboy, brEad and Stogy like this.
  16. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I love what you did to the re-pop radiator cap to make it look old, I also bought a re-pop for my other '32 project and I guess I need to soak it in salt water for a year and pee on it to get it look like this original one. HAHA!!
    IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@So-cal Tex you might have to do more than that to get it looking as good as that one. If it was only as easy as keeping it wet with bleach like I’m going to use on my copper grill shutters and roof insert. Most of my nickel and chrome guitar parts I float in a plastic bowl inside another larger plastic bowl with muriatic acid about a half inch deep with a lid. Be careful of the fumes whenever you open it though.

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

These fender bass tuners were brand new and shiny before I did this to them
    IMG_5939.JPG

19. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Look what pappa “ borrowed from the wife’s canvas stretching and framing supplies Should of kept a lock on your junk
    IMG_5958.JPG
    Took off some plastic dodads and
    IMG_5961.JPG
    Maybe not the correct style but once I put some hot rivets in’m and paint the same final color it will fly?
    IMG_0008.JPG
    I’m using this old Kodak film reel canister as a finish reference.

Doctorterry, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. and "for the military look" don't hang them all straight up and down that type of stuff usually is at angles, specific to their use.

loudbang, Runnin shine and Stogy like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

You still going to use the canvas glass mast bags on the backs of the seats? If so there is your attachment points.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ah yeah, that was the point all along. I am putting snaps down low. With the angle of the seat back they would slap back and forth from all the extreme acceleration and braking It’s been my intention they would act like the pouches built into the backs of my daily. I can’t believe how much we relied on those with the kids, never touched them before that.

Stogy and dumprat like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Been a minute anything new?

Stogy likes this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Man I wish I had some good news. My son even made a 1 cent wish in my name today in a fountain while out for burritos that I could work on the hot rod soon. Ever since about a month prior to Memorial Day I have been deep in yard, pool, garden, decks, honey-do and kid work. It hasn’t let up but close. Now I’m supposed to be making plans to build an addition to the back of the house and nix the mommas she shed plans, right after I finished a big garden shed right in the only spot where’ve can add to the house!
    I almost squeezed work on my truck’s commercial shell the other day so I could bump its thread.
    You bros will be the first to know when something happens. Hopefully it really is soon. It’s a lot harder to work on my shit when the kids and wife are all on summer break. I better have an update before I go to the Meltdowns. I’ll be on the prowl there for any good inspirational drag tidbits for my PU.
    Although OT, I did finally put together this 64 Tele I’ve been saving up parts for a couple years. I wanted to name it “nicotine habit” the wife says I should call it “grandma smoked Luckys”
    IMG_6107.JPG

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha don’t fret on our account, no pun intended, I haven’t hardley touch anything in the garage other than yard tools for about two months.

28. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

I finally got a notice you posted. I didn't even know about the last page! Seats are coming out great! Loved the picture of your seat with your bench in the back ground. Neat looking bench, looks like something that's used for vintage restoration! Loved the aged components on the guitar too. Aged to perfection! Anyway, good stuff.

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Runnin, I feel your pain!

Runnin shine likes this.