Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And now today it’s pouring down the white stuff outside!
    The great thing about primer is that it reminds you how fast you may have went through your metal prep or filler coats.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Dash looks wicked! Although it is a bit of a tease with out the gauges and the stainless on it.....

Stogy, loudbang and Tim like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yep, that’s the point, keep’m on the edge of there seats.

Stogy and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Sold my nice old chrome oil filter housing after getting tired of looking for a decent matching lid and got this one. It is more abused and will match my engine bay almost perfect. I cut off the main ear that bolts it to a head. It had big pieces already broken off. I want to weld in two threaded bungs in what is left of the bracket to mount it on the firewall. I will reinforce the area it will attach to so the firewall won’t crack. Totally pumped about this addition.
    [​IMG]
    When any of you see the finished car in person it won’t look this pretty. I have to age it after all.
    I had no fine line tape left so I used some old pin striping laying in the paint cabinet. Of course it goes and pulls up some of the stainless spray bomb base and a chunk of spot putty. I filled it in with a little more on a Q-tip and then touched up the stainless part with a testers model brush that I spray the bristles with the rust-oleum.
    [​IMG]
    This area looked fine before that mess up now I’m glad it’s this good with out starting all over. Hey what do expect with spray can. Oh and you can bet I paid no mind to anywhere covered with the engine turned insert. I’d like to drive it someday.

chryslerfan55, slv63, 2bubbas and 6 others like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Still looks fine lol. I stared at that for a fair amount of time trying to see the mess up

loudbang likes this.
  6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I am not sure I get the drift of your discussion on start up safety or security but it made me think of the system we installed in my 40 coupe. I wanted to use the stock column lock ,ignition switch and start button. I installed this proximity switch on the clutch pedal. The car will not start unless the pedal is pressed almost to the floor.To take the load off of the stock ignition switch the actula load is run through relays.

After two years of use I think it works pretty well. It doubles as a neutral safety switch and layer of security.Yes if you want to start it on a hill you need a good emergency brake or a right foot capable of a heel toe operation between the throttle and brake.

Please feel free to delete this post if it is way off base as I do not want to mess up your excellent build thread.
    IMG_9032R.jpg
    Bought this switch from Mc Master Carr
    IMG_9034R.jpg IMG_9052R.jpg
    A few shots of the switch installed
    IMG_9053R.jpg IMG_9054R.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not that you can really tell but I’ve been cleaning on my garage for a few late night evenings. Soon as I get mostly finished with the front seats than I can pour my focus back on the body.
    Stay seated refreshments will begin shortly.

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man! Pre Easter I got 5 or 6 hours of cleaning in the garage done before family was going to see it. Even though I feel like it just barely scratched the surface it felt good

loudbang, 2bubbas and Runnin shine like this.
  9. The dash mods look great. I have a question regarding the paint. I probably missed something along the way so forgive me if that is the case but I thought you were doing a late '40s style build? Metallic paint didn't come out until the '60s if I am not mistaken? Again, apologies if I missed something along the way! (I'm sure that is the case since your attention to detail borders on the neurotic side, ha!)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hey don’t be hypocritical,
    Ok as fast as I can before I cut the Easter Day HAMB, pun intended.
    This is again all @ct1932ford ‘s fault. Initialy my steering wheel was going to be stock 40 black and the dash would be black or possibly woodgrained. Then Mark did the sketch where the interior is green and my brain went fuzzy.
    [​IMG]
    So I did refresher research on things I believed I had seen. This is where I got the metallic is sell-able and the basic scheme. I think it’s metallic?
    [​IMG]
    I already had this idea in my head of the post war teenager or veteran taking most cast off pieces from crashed 40s Fords at the scrapyard. This 40 deluxe paint layout seemed like a feasible influence if not somewhat cliche. My fall back excuse would be the Lakes car turned show car story. Maybe the interior was revamped in the 50s if all else fails? It still would be a late 40s “build”?
    As for being neurotic I thought I was normal and everyone else is screwed up. At least that’s what I told my self when I added this green dice to my keychain last night.
    [​IMG]

11. Tim- in process of a deal trading cars and my wife shamed me into cleaning my work shop before he comes- it was getting really bad- all my tools now in correct locations- for sure I'll never find them- used to looking where I used them last- Happy Easter-

12. Running shine- I love this build! Bob K.

Runnin shine likes this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Bob
    Although I admit it’s the worst thread on here to read it is clearly the coolest build by far trust me, I worked at a used car lot a long time ago
    Wyatt

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    spurgeonforge and Outback like this.
  14. Ok gotcha! I figured I missed something along the way!

15. That's it blame me, my wife always does.:rolleyes:

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I will then
    No sir it’s a good thing really. I think the car will now come out somewhere between 33 and 46.7% cooler than before. In retrospect the interior would have been run of the mill boring by comparison. You were a spark that launched me in further pursuit of all that was unbeknownst to a mere low grade man. (Should I buy you dinner first?)
    But seriously this is a great example of the HAMB power. I have most positively benefited from everyones’ critiques and influence. Thanks all you for the lift
    [​IMG]

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Sliced up a 6’ quarter sawn plank of Ash today that I bought for guitar bodies. It was warped so I thought I could use it to my advantage. I’ve been putting it off knowing I need more roof support and accuracy to help finalize the chop.
    Thanks @timwhit for the dimensions so quickly
    Now the hard part begins getting them to shape and size.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  18. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

You inspired me to help out....[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. practice with a 2x3 first. .........

20. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

^^^ BITCHIN!!!

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks dang good! Is one of those lights a 1/4 tank left light since your fuel gauge is waaaaaay over there?

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Shared crew responsibilities, all gauges to the right are the copilot’s job, I’ll be busy shooting down the enemy.

Stogy, kmc777, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks man!
    This sketch does a good job of showing the early “Tommy Gun” gangster vibe that I think a Tudor has over the other body types. I know they don’t exude the same racyness as a 3w but I hope the heavy chop and pill-box windows carry over into a similar level of aggression. I come from the chopper school of where you are afraid to touch it or you might get BIT! I have been really considering since posting this P-40 pic to paint that skull on the very front of my hood and grill shell. But yes I recognize it could ruin the car into something too different from where I started if not way too cartoonish. I would loose a big chunk of my voter base but it would achieve a level of scary. Imagine it creeping up on your driver-side view on the tranquil roads of peaceful America
    [​IMG]

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Same crude skull on the lower cowl side could work. Big and up front it doesn’t look scary it looks like a car from a sailor Jerry rum add

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Unless your chopper school is the occ one then go right ahead lol

Runnin shine likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Oh man you’re totally right! I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I was afraid it was in the rat rod sub-category but that wasn’t totally it. It has obviously got to have “Hubba
    Hubba” on the cowl and I wasn’t going to hide that low but rather up in your face. So maybe...

It’s just something I’m feeling out cause I want to embrace where it’s theoretical 1946 builder’s head was at. He might have just finished up shooting down Nazis after all. I suspect that sort of thing sticks with you a while. Heck I’m not so young that I didn’t hear growing up the sting that laid under the surface skin of our seniors for the non-allies, ie derogatory catch phrases and slang.
    I’m talking here in reference to history not any views I have towards the current world. Again think time machine and the buy war bonds water slide decal I’m putting in the rear window.

brEad, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

On a further note I’m not so old that I don’t daydream and play pretend either
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I think it all looks too fancy. Hopefully after I work up the courage to distress it all things will become believable.

Stogy and kmc777 like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My thought is that you saw lettering on the side of the hood top and cowls but I’ve yet to see an actual old photo of a hotrod with giant nose art on it.