Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

As much as I think Vickys always look like a hot girl with a fat ass. I do like the style of that car.

loudbang likes this.
  2. As an ass man, I'd say that ass isn't fat, just curvy enough to hold ;)

3. Well, a rear gas tank, back seat and open roof fit with a car that came off the track and started seeing a return to street duty. So keep on it!

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

Just for the hell of it I cleaned up your side view pic a bit to get a better idea of what it'll look like.

33tudorchop.jpg
    Then I tried it with the quarter windows shortened (front to back, not top to bottom) about 2 inches. I think it kinda helps with the competition chop look, but you be the judge. It does look very chopped to me.

33tudorchop2.jpg

5. loudbang

loudbang

CALL it GOOD. Looks very good like that

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hey man thanks a "Vicky Back" load for you vigilante'esc save to my parts pile and garage floor, lol.
    As you posted this I am in hard thought on another 1/4", 3/8", or 7/16" out of the top. It just doesn't look mean enough to me. And boy it's cold out in the driveway backing away to stare at this thing over and over.
    Is there a way you cold "drop" it for me a tiny bit to see? And lean the pillars back a touch. I'm not happy with the light angle. I'm trying really hard to not cut the windshield anymore.
    I want everyone to know I do recognize I'm very close and have to be extra careful right now so I don't screw it up.
    We are definitely in the realm of taste here as it seems to be a rule to never take a Tudor more than 4". I think the 2" shorter quarters are helping me a lot with this dilemma.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yes guys I'll cut it a 1/8" if I think that's what's it takes

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Squablow, I like the shorter quarter windows but don't like the extra meat behind them. It seems to fatten the back of the car. But it definitely looks less panel truck or station wagon this way. I wish I could now just shorten the back of the car an inch more including the axle position and frame.
    But we are splitting hairs here.
    I have to love this thing when it done not second guess my choices.

9. It might just be me, but it seems like the roof looses a little bit of crown over the door pillar in @Squablow's edits. That, or there seems to be a visual 'peak' where the door gap transitions to the quarter window moulding.

Personally, I like the chop of the whole car, but my eye keeps getting drawn back to the same spot as a 'trouble area'. But maybe I'm being thrown off by the horizontal ladder with a step that lines up perfectly with the door jam. I'm not sure if I'm out to lunch, or not. o_O

Runnin shine likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

This is fun so let's try out a few things. First, here's one where the door is chopped probably 3/4 of an inch (just guessing) and the rear quarter window is cut at the B pillar to match, but not at the rear, basically trying to take the "bump" out of the B pillar like Speedy Canuck is suggesting.

33tudorchop3.jpg

11. Squablow

Squablow

Here's an even steeper chop and like 7 or 8 degrees more windshield angle, to see where that would land. Keep in mind this one works off of the previous one that already took some height out of the B pillar, this is probably 2 more inches out of the B pillar than where it sits untouched, plus probably 1 1/2" out of the C pillar and lots more windshild angle.

33tudorchop4.jpg

12. Squablow

Squablow

Another, taking probably 2 or 3 more inches of length out of the body (but all behind the rear wheel opening, wheelbase unchanged). Would be really hard to do, but looks nice.

33tudorchop5.jpg

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. As a kustom car builder the roof needs to follow the lines on the door window. On a coupe the roof is short so you can get away with a wedge type chop. But with a sedan the tops of the windows need to stay flat with each other, or you will end up with a bubble/hump look like it is now. I would say the B piller is going to half to match the A piller height wise to look right. That means it will need to be chopped even harder. So get to cutting.:D

slv63 and RODIST like this.
  14. I also think the APiller angle is too much for a sedan. Bring it back forward and the rest of the roof will look right. Hard A piller angle then a long flat sedan roof don't look right. Just my thoughts

slv63 likes this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

And a last one, with the rear window leaned forward to match up more to the laid back windshield. This one could be done without shortening the body, but I did it on the shortened picture just because it was easier. I kinda like this and I don't think this would be too terribly hard.

33tudorchop6.jpg

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

AJ you are totally correct. The front roof section is all sagged out and wavy compared to the rear. I don't k ow how much is from the slats and side bracing bows being removed, all the rust out, or previous bends from having crap on the roof before I got it. It has been pretty bad the whole time but it's really bad right now. I've only made repairs to the header area. I of course will tackle the rest soon. I'm trying to look past the lack of crown right now. This is one of the issues with it's current perceived lack of lowness. Once that roof ark is remedied it will look even fatter.

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This is totally awesome! It's like you all are here helping me build this right(well except for paintslinger, he doesn't know what he's talking about,) so I can undorkify myself.
    Squab, I really like this one a lot! Number 2?

[​IMG]
    I probably will hold back a 2 or three degrees on the lay back.
    This all helps so much and it proves my point that I do t think I'm there yet.
    I am trying to show some reserve but the slammed roof really gets me excited.
    I could always stick my head through the roof to see right? Ala Rat Rod?
    If I could muster up the drive to alter the rear roof curve like you've shown I might have something really unique. This I feel though would take it from my 32 1/2 preproduction theory? Anyone, anyone?

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

^ I am very tempted to do the last pic mods. Even if I have to shorten the back of the car and frame to shrink the quarter window and the car is no longer drivable!
    I could just drink beers and hangout with it in the garage for the rest of my days. It might be a waiste but it wouldn't be a trailer queen either.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Here's one with the steep chop and angle like you had suggested, but with the roof crown sag pushed up.

33tudorchop7.jpg

Runnin shine likes this.
  20. Squablow

Squablow

Here's what paintslinger is suggesting with a level chop. I was thinking this was going to look terrible and was ready to hate it but now that I see it this actually looks good too. Basically the current height at the A pillar remained and the rest of the roof was chopped to match, removing all of the angle from the front door post.

33tudorchop8.jpg

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

1: the more you chop it the longer the body looks. Which I think it's part of the problem of proportions your not digging. But your trying to fix it by chopping it more. I'd like to see if with the front roof not sagging and maybe shorten the front to back length of the back windows. But don't extend the c pillar just bring it all in

2: with motor weight is it going to change stance much?

3: im really afraid of you getting garage eyes.
    Example, my buddies car looks kinda low in the garage but not crazy. But in the driveway where you can see it from different angles and next to other cars, grass, and the outside world it looks so low that you don't think it'd be driveable.

I'd really push it outside even if it's a pain in the ass.

4: you chopped it 90 inches and your afraid that shortening the quarters might take away from your pre production mythical year of production? Lol

Speedy Canuck, Runnin shine and slv63 like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Don't mind the flat chop, you get your "wedge" from the chassis rake

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok a third note since I'm already rambling.

What if you shortened the quarters but kept your current wheel base? Move the wheel wells back some and kinda bob the back off them? Might start creepy big towards That Vicky but with the back even with the ass instead of having the hump?

24. image.jpg Just make the quarter window bigger:D:D:D

Runnin shine likes this.
  25. Or be super crazy and move the quarter windows back and make like a 4-5" panel in front of the quarter window. So that the quarter window is not right up on the b piller.

26. Maybe squablow can photo shop that blue car I just posted and make the quarter window like I said and put a panel in front of it at the b piller.

27. image.jpg I know this is not a 32 but an A model ford. It's low and looks great

28. Squablow

Squablow

Not totally clear but I think this is what you're suggesting. Doing this actually involved adding windshield height back in. And shortening the roof does look nice but it will affect the angle of the tail pan which doesn't really translate well in this pic since it's dark. Still, not bad looking like this either.

33tudorchop9.jpg

jerseyboy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. slv63

slv63

Since this has already been opened up to opinions, I think the straight chop looks better than the wedge chop, and totally second the idea of pushing it outside for perspective.

jerseyboy and paintslinger805 like this.
  30. Ok now I got it. You need to lean the b pillers forward dorkist.:)