Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thank you so much!!! I'll take any measurements you can give me that you think will help. I do my web research on my phone, it gets tiring. I have no traditional hot rod friends to borrow this stuff from, come to think of it I hardly have any friends left at all, maybe that's why I'm one of the nicest people I know?

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Larry, did you really forget to ask what size wheels and tires?!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Do you have a 3w cowl? That is the distant cousin to a 33-34 ford

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That's what I see when I look at a 3w, like you see the transition starting.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I like the fact you are simultaneously pissing off both the duece perverts and the 34 lovers in one easy step.

Hack it! Weld it! Chop it! Put a big loud non stock engine in it! Drive fast and scare little old ladies!

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I'm starting to think I posted this on fordbarn. It's cool I like the push and pull of the convo. I am just worried that I have flared up to many gents feathers, I don't want Ryan or Gary to pull it down to stop any aggression that may transpire. Part of me thinks that they're just manipulating my oppositional defiant disorder side to do it. Bottom line... The following Sunday when I bring it home... next morning you're all invited over to watch me cut the firewall and cowl off, end of discussion, anyone wanna join me in breaking a commandment?

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I wish I was closer, it would be fun to come help!

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I probably won't be cutting that soon I just was being dramatic. There will be squaring, stiffening, and measuring going on first. I will step up my documentation, tech info, tutorial , and post game. If I play it right you'll smell the steel and beer.

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Picked up more straps today. Although I was a Flatbed Big Rig driver haulin big steel coils around the rust belt,when I bought my 32 pickup, I wasn't 5 minutes from picking it up when me and my brother in-law turned and looked at one another with ooooooh shiiiiiiii....faces. We both had failed to check if the cab was secure to the frame. It had model A skirts on it that the bolts were snagging the cab floor. I was towing it backwards on a dolly when the drivers door tried to commit suicide. Like F-16 air brakes, it put a holt to the cab's forward motion. Down the road went my new prize possession! I still laugh when I think of how when I came back to the scene of the accident to retrieve my scratched, lightly dented and busted door handle cab with more new straps(Napa your prices suck!) in hand, my wife's brother sitting on the roof by the side of Rt26. I said why you sitting there? it's hot as hell out here. He says as soon as you pulled away with the truck and trailer, some hicks turned around to pick it up until I came out of the bushes after takin a wiz to send them on there way, so I'm protecting it from shady characters. Oh yeah we wouldn't want it to get messed up.

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Looks like junkmanjr is gonna help me out with sweet 40 zephyr 16x4s. I just got to send him the money and I'll try to pick'm up later in Louisville upcoming event. I'm gonna leave the paint as is on the centers and blend in the outer rims.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437146136.873051.jpg
    I've started to collect up 2 of the four 40 Deluxe caps. I want these to be old and just a little better than ruff.

With 4" rims on the rear can I go 650s and look period correct?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  11. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Nice thread, nice build, interesting:D. I too have ADD, so I can relate. I have a 32 woodie, I inherited. I actually prefer the 33-34, but I don't have to pay for it, so... I'm thinking of changing the wood floor and front doors to fit like the 32 pickup (nicer transition than the wagon). Not anywheres as drastic as you, but kind of the same idea. I hate the box look right after the cowl.
    I'm subscribed and supportive!

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Im not gonna say don't do it, but I am gonna say think hard before you do. Maybe get someone to do a photoshop. I'm having a hard time visualizing it, and I'd hate to see you end up with a hacked up '34 and a '32 cowl, a pile of burned up cut-off wheels, and a broken heart.
    Be damn sure you REALLY have a clear idea of where you are going, what you have to do, how you are going to do it, and what the finished product is going to look like before you start hacking. Cutting shit up, looking at it and ending up hauling the remains away to scrap is a lot more traditional than some guys like to admit...

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Separated the 32 hood tops.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437155931.135092.jpg
    Took to blast today w/the cowl top and vent.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437155996.533304.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437156018.976447.jpg
    I'm going to repair the ends of the center strip and reuse it.
    Also thinking about using this 32 big truck steering box in the cowl
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437156137.365223.jpg
    It works and no one wants it. I had bought a NOS sector and worm from Poland for my car box and when it showed... Big truck! This way I could get back the $52 and $75 plus what ever shipping was back when I got them.
    I also have a 40 car box that I could use as side steer with the pitman pointing up. I hate cross steer looks, it's a matter of preference. The 34 box is probably in bad shape or in need of rebuild $. I could see in the pics of the 34 that the column tube was ripped open in the engine compartment, water gets in everywhere w/time.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Woodies are the bomb! Before I started this path I bought one of these as a rough 3D blueprint to build a Lakes Woodie 32 PU with no bed a gas tank just in front above the axle, all stubby in back.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437157218.812382.jpg
    That's the reason I have these extra 32 front tins.

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks George for the kind advice. I am gonna try my damnedest to shanagle my wonderful wife into photo shopping a certain classic associated with a guy called Larry into my monstrosity.
    I also will have a hard plan of attack, I insist that it will be cohesive. I'm not looking for a masterpiece but a damn fine hot rod to have fun in and appreciate. I was just foolin in previous posts about cutting it up while still in transit from the Wolverine state. Unlike my PU that I'm doing lone wolf and is more like my opus, this one I will be taking advantage of help to smooth things along this time. I have already signed my best friend(who is a better body man than I, he and his dad taught me when we all worked in their family body shop before his pops passed on) onboard to help with the chop and possible narrowing of the body. Who wants to help hand rub the lacquer on the front end, I'm thinking of using dirty old rags, lol.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

What I am tying to convey to you is .... I think it's possible to make a really neat "transition car" like the 32 3w is..... BUT I think you need to pull out the stops As I stated the full cowl and front door tops should be used , and change the c-pillar window opening top , making the car square like a 32 withe the round window openings will look odd I think ....

You need to study the styling cues or it will look as bad as that tubester 32 pickup with the slanted a pillars on a square car or the" scratch model A " with the 34 roof ,.... kinda cool but awkward at the same time

17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You can reverse the 40 box, that' would probably work the best

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I want to use use 34 a pillars and a 34 windshield frame because of the more laid back angle to go with the angle chop to give that 100mph standing still look. Mostly though it is cause I don't have a full 3w cowl. I have the top sheet replacement panel with no vent and a rusty 5w/Tudor cowl that I'll use the vent and hood rail channel, I have to full PU sides to steal more of this channel. I'll get new 3w sides and use the 34s window channel I hope. I'll have to make pieces to finish the belt line where the 34 leaves off. Also could use the 32 dash brace and side supports to get the A pillar width established I hope. My big concern is the way a 34 is "channeled" over the frame. If the doors and cowl are taller than 32s there could be a big problem short of using 32 lower patches from front to back, again there is no floor in this thing. I can see this one-off in my head but true I don't even have the car here yet and I'm not even close to always being right. I really want to make this happen.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I like them down on the rail. I'm concerned about header clearance, if it reversible I could remove the bulky mounts and weld on the big truck snout? Anyone?

20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My newest pondering is the 34 axle if functional or rebuilt, would it be useless with a mildly hot flatty if you don't do stupid launches and hard shifts but just roll it on in the gears to here that torque load and smitthy rapp?

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

"Patina" use it if you got it or get it, but DON'T make it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

sage advice there...

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

All the internals are identical to an f-1 box- you could actually use the 4 bolt steering mast flange on the 40 box flip steering shaft around and your done, you can weld a 3 bolt flange on the sector snout like tardel does on the f-1 ... Same but different

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Again it's really early to say for sure but... I am hoping to minimize this round window effect when I chop. I'm not going to straighten the window frames. I am banking on an angle chop. My goal is to square up the rear side glass opening to minimize or cancel the way it "opens" up to the door hinge post. I would like to even out the to vertical distance between the top of the opening and the bottom just in front and behind the four corner main curves. The door opening will just become a wedge or tapered shape like most lake chops. This is in my head and is possibly blurred and not reality. I'm not thinking this will look better than what Henry wanted but I'm only just a percent of the people cutting and moving these old gals around.

25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I got a lot of the same flack when I chopped my 50 shoebox and made the 1/4 windows stock length.

If you can envision what you want and are prepared to spend the time to make it happen you can do anything.

One hint I could offer is make window shape patterns out of plywood or MDF then use it to adjust the finished shape and to copy them side to side. It makes life way easier.

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I'd have to give Bishop snd Tardel credit for making me think of putting the big truck snout on there, I can't lie. But I don't know if I need to flip it cause I'm gonna have the car low with the bones mounting up on the frame side and the spring behind the axle, thanks Doane.
    All of this would be easier than cowl steering. It just the 40 seems so bulky.

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

It's alright, everyone is just making sure I do it up right and not unworthy of the HAMB. I think most people will like it if not I'll just disappear. To each his own, when you do model 40 google image searches, I think mostly all you see is horrifying street rodder shit. Maybe expensive or extensive hours and not built in a subdivision but I wouldn't want to be seen in'm, RIP Boyd, you changed the world.

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

No , just make a triangle plate the fits around the sector snout , the geometry is wrong with pitman arm going up , travels at a different arc than wishbone

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Even if the drag link is running horizontal to the steering arm or roughly 90 degrees of the pitman?

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I have a 32 3w I built from pieces and a 33 and 34 3w I plan on resurrecting with sedan pieces ... The sedan door opening is very close to 32 3w from belt line down, the inner door is thinner though