Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ?? HUB CAPS ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 48coupe, Sep 24, 2016.

1. 15 inch  with 3 bar spinners.jpg Heavy metal, ( 7 lb's ), 15" guessing the 60's or 70's.
    What yr., Thunderbird, Lincoln, Chrysler, ?? I am thinking Bird ( sure should be - they got that look) but could not find them there either. Everywhere I run into a dead end.
    Thanks for any/all help,
    Wes

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Hollander manual but not here. That said, if it's OEM there's probably a part number somewhere. Still, I see a full-size GM style. They're more "turbine" than wire, the bend at the edge before the rim is a nice detail, the tri-bars may have been added by someone. My instincts say Riviera or Wildcat from 67-8...? Or they're a bitchin aftermarket item.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I have just about exhausted my search in hopes of finding the source. There are no/none part # or mark of any kind any where on caps. Sooo, it looks more all the time that they are aftermarket. BUT, they are just too high quality to be such ?

4. aircap

aircap

Gotta admit, they are cool.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm kinda selective when it comes to hubcaps but those are cool, wish I could help but haven't seen them before.

Here is an example how good some hubcaps can look on the right car.
    These are GM issue IIRC.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    e z i likes this.
  6. Do you have any local stores that sell hubcaps, they might know? They actually have stores like that in Los Angeles.

Charlie Stephens

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have collected/bought/sold hubcaps and wheelcovers since I was a little kid(like 60 years ago). I have over 10,000, its a sickness. My best guess would be late 60's full size 15 inch Mercury with aftermarket spinners

low budget likes this.
  8. I did, no luck. I took the spinner off again and this time I removed the large washer on the backside --
    FINALLY I found something. See pic, looks like a Cadillac emblem to me, back to hubcaps.com. Still no luck. Oh, on the backside of spinner it reads: "for offroad use only" ? and has a tiny sticker that reads "Made in Taiwon". Must be a add-on ? Well, isn't that special ?? Just too nice to be aftermarket. Spinners could be ? IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0205.JPG

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would have guessed 68-69 lincoln continental, but the spinner has spun me.

11. Looks like a Ford Galaxie emblem to me.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. robracer1

robracer1

Yep for Ford Galaxie!

13. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

image.jpeg Definitely a Ford probably off a mid 70's LTD

14. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

That's actually an early 70's Mercury emblem. Those hubcaps or wheel covers (whatever you want to call them) are for 70-72 full size Mercurys like the Grand Marquis.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

low budget and Hnstray like this.
  15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Must be a knock off of a Taiwan knock off:D
    .....sorry, couldnt resist.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  16. BINGO = Thanks PAGH88, I knew sooner or later someone would know. They pulled the Merc cap off and put on a 'Taiwonees' 3-bar spinner.
    I ck'd Merc once, (stopped at '69) when I was ck'n T-Birds.