Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howells Sheetmetal, How was your experience? UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopsaw209, Jan 25, 2010.

1. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

check with DirectSheetmetal in socal
    it is a big manufacturer that supplies what you see selling nationwide
    you can also order direct...they do custom orders to your drawings
    they can make it out of aluminum for you too

2. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I waited like almost 4 weeks before my trunk lid, rear lower panel and both back corner patches showed up.

I called after a few weeks to check on things and asked about them building the parts and they said that they basically sell what they have already built until it is out of stock, then they make like 8 units of what ever it is that someone wants when they are out, ship off the order and shelf the rest for future orders. My order was held up on them making the trunk lid.

They invited me to come tour the facility since I am only about 4 hours away.

They seemed nice and stuff. My parts came in and seem to be pretty good. The trunk lid seems to be just a bit narrow for the opening, but I think that might be because the car isn't perfect in the back any more.

The corner patches seem like they don't make a sharp enough turn to transition from the side to the rear panel. I will have to shrink the bottom to pull them around, but I need to clamp everything in and really check it all before I know for sure.

I don't have the "Rear Crossmember" piece that goes around the bottom rear of the car, which would determine the exact shape. I was planning to build that myself, but without it I will be guessing as to the exact location of everything.

So, my experience isn't a bad one. Seemed like the reason they gave added up to the time frame I had to wait for the parts to arrive.

The longer wait times and never getting the parts that others have experienced is no good. That concerns me.

I'd still like to tour the facility and see how they do what they do there.

3. Just got new fenders , running boards and rear inner fenders delivered for a 29 coupe and they arrived on time, look good. So far they have been good to us.

4. grothac

grothac

Good luck, I have been waiting since 12-22-09 for my parts and have not seen them yet, they said they would give me a refund a month ago and have not seen it either. They owe me $499.40 Warning do not use this company. They are also known as fordor.com and Al's Sheet metal or Hal's Sheet metal.

5. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I just ordered again, have a tracking number. only 3 days I'll let you know but so far so good

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Got my panel, I have no complaints other than lack of communication but I really didn't need any

7. BELLM

BELLM

I called about 2 weeks ago asked if a rt inner fender for my 34 was in stock, it was, gave my credit car # 3 days later it was here and on its way to be painted. I've never had a problem with them. Had it not been in stock I would have called until I found one 'cause I needed it rat now.

8. Brewton

Brewton

This subject (Howell's) has been beat to death!
    I had a bad experience with them..... sounds like some people had a good experience.
    If you do buy from them, just be prepared to get jacked around... maybe.

9. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

They had a crap load of parts and a big trailer full out at the Pate swap meeting in Fort Worth this weekend.

10. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

i ordered a 30 coupe rear quarter patch from them thinking i might get jerked around but it was at my door in less than than a week,and it fit was not bad,alot better than the same patch from brookville

11. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

I placed an order from them on the 3rd, and everything arrived today. It was well packed, and all the parts look good. The only complaint I have is they didn't include an invoice, but it's a trivial matter.

12. cato

cato

ordered parts for model A and T for about 2 years ago for ca$1100,they say the parts was shipped out evry time i call,and after some time they stop answering the phone.....still missing my parts

13. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Maybe it's like the lottery; I guess I won this time out, but may not be as lucky next time.....

14. Harley Too

Harley Too
    from Alaska

I call Howells (Ryan) every month to remind him to make the parts. It has been 6 months wait and more excuses. I have no idea how he can stay in business...his reputation has been burned long ago. BEWARE - he has our dollars and we have no parts!!!!

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I see the Last Refuge Thread got closed so here you go anyway!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476570&highlight=last

Well hopefully this will be the last thread done on Last Refuge for two reasons;
    1. because Norb hopefully will get his act together and,
    2. because I am getting tired of seeing the same old come up on this forum over and over again.

I've been to the gates of HELL with Norb in the past regarding a large number of parts I had ordered and all I can say is that he did finally deliver, that I was very happy with the product and I gained a better perspective of his side of the story.

He is a fair and reasonable guy to deal with once you understand from so many past threads that he does struggle to meet his deadlines.

I know he can do better and so does he, but he does have some constraints such as his location and limited workforce etc.
    He seems to have taken on alot more on that he should at times, but in his attempts to please everybody it seem he pleases very few/nobody.

I am sure by now Norb knows he is not the favored son and I believe he has taken the the criticism on board, but he does not need folks continually taking cheap shots at him from afar.

I see him as a necessary evil for now in our hotrodding community and hope he can lift his business to the next level.

I would say that Howell's in real figures have screwed more folks around than Norb could possibly even if he tried.

However it just seems nobody comes up with a name from Howell's to beef about and we all know Howell's dont even bother to reply or answer the phone.

So lets get things into perspective.
    You know Norb's short coming so either accept them for now or use another supplier like Howell's.

At least Norb's stuff is good quality and his prices are right...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  16. norbyrattler

norbyrattler
    BANNED
    from Colorado

We have come a long way but still have a long way to go. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can hang on in these times. Ryan at Howells is a great supplier and he has bent over way backwards to help me. I am delivering one of my Cabrios to him soon, so please check it out and maybe we can all move this thing forward. To Ausie Steve.. I am sorry for losing my cool, it just gets tough some days.
    Norb

17. Harley Too

Harley Too
    from Alaska

Wow...time flies, been 8 months and still no parts from Howells. It takes BALLS to grab the money and not deliver. Called this week and Ryan said it would be another 6 months.
    BEWARE!!!!

18. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Order came in 2 days, all parts great condition. No problems!!!!!

19. 6-71

6-71

My buddy just got patch panels for a 33 pickup.Excellent service and really nice quality panels. When he told me he ordered them from Howells,I thought about all the negative comments on the HAMB,but He didnt tell me until he had already placed the order.:)

20. Bought panels for my 34 pickup from them on Ebay and got nice stuff in a week.

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, for Howell's use Ebay or a Ford Parts Dealer, seems to be the best advice.

22. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

As I wrote on another older thread her I paid part by Paypal five weeks ago and they (Ryan) do not answer my emails at all since.
    Does it seem he thinks if one lives far enough he can service poor.
    Not in this new world of internet and frequent traveling around.
    I sure will knock their door personally some day.
    Anyone local here willing to help and go there to ask for Model A parts order for Jukka, Finland. It would help me a lot at least to any answer.

23. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

No reply, no parts. I made a claim by Paypal and got the money back.
    Now I need other supplier who really can and will deliver.

24. Holy shit, Finland? Maybe that's the problem. I'll be going back there soon, if you want I can get you the parts you need and ship them to you.

25. I just talked to Ryan, he said he had all the parts except the crossmember, which they get from another supplier. He did not want to send a partial order due to the shipping costs. He said he sent a couple emails, and didn't get a reply. Maybe there was a mistake in the email address? Anyway, I'll let you know when I go back out there(hour and a half drive each way) and I'll get your parts if you want me to. The FedEx truck comes right to my office, I can ship them to you myself.

26. I started ordering my stuff from Berts Model A in Colorado. WAY BETTER customer service and they stock original parts too.

27. Harley Too

Harley Too
    from Alaska

Now the rest of the story. I waited a year for the parts and then drove over to Texas (850 miles each way) to see if any parts were being made. I showed up on a Monday morning like a "walk-in customer" to ask about parts. Talked with Ryan and he said he could get them made from scratch before noon if I wanted to wait. Right on time the parts were finished. No explanation for not getting them made and shipped. He even gave me a refund check for the freight that I had prepaid. The check cleared. Do not pay with personal check is the best advise I can give. Paypal and Visa will protect you if they don't ship the parts.
    The TT C-panels fit as well as original but are made from thinner steel. You have to make your own angle brackets also. End of story.

28. I ordered parts December 29th and have still not received them. Called 3 times - 1st time out of one item - would ship when they made more. 2nd time -could not seem to find my order, then did and said would ship as the part I was waiting for was made several weeks back. Last time - really sorry will get it out tonight. Posting this because I want everyone to be aware - something is not right there - bought from them before and had not problem - this seems like a stall.

29. 5window

5window

No, the stall was at the end of January. This is the screw. Cancel your order, find a supplier that carries what you want and has them in stock and order from them.

30. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

i have done business in the past with howells 5 years ago. just recieved door skins for my 27 roadster a few days ago. took about two weeks. a little slow. but good product