Register now to get rid of these ads!

Howells sheet metal co.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5_guy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Just wondering is anyone else is having an issue with Howells Sheet Metal Co?
    I placed an order 2 orders the first a month ago the secong 3 weeks ago. Last week I dropped a note to their customer service deapartment asking where my order was, no reply as of this morning. I then called and got an answering machine recording saying to leave a message, but when it went to record it said that the memory was full!

Anyone have any input or have had dealings with them in the past?

2. john walker

john walker

try a search. click "search this forum", enter "howell's sheet metal", click "go". easy!

3. lol
    here we go again
    tk

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

This would be the point to tell you to do a search... Lot's of threads asking the same question. My opinion, I have used Howell's several times many years ago, it always takes forever to get your stuff, but what I have got from them fit very well and in my opinion was worth the wait.

5. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

You fellas need to use common sense.
    In 1958, Mr Howell got a couple of Model Ts for his sons and since they needed some metal patches, one son made them and as people asked him to make some for them too, he got his younger brother Dave to help. This continued thru the years with some other paid helpers until Dave got old, and sold the business to his nephew a couple of years ago.

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

The business did well thru the years and some ways of doing business were developed. Some places like Snyders and Brattons and others call up and order 100 pieces at a time so the parts are made in runs.If some guy calls and wants one piece he may have to get in line and wait. Just makes sense. You are not going to drop everything you are doing on a big run of parts for a major customer just to make a single part for a guy who may never order another part. That means YOU, so order your parts from Snyders or Mikes Affordable or someplace that has what you want, in stock.
    No waiting and if there is a problem, you can deal with the nice folks at Snyders instead of a guy who is running the manufacture of parts by his own hands, and dealing with his employees and trying to drop everything and answer the phone when a HAMBer calls.

7. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Then maybe Howell's should stop doing retail, and just do Wholesale. No sense stringing individual customers along, making them wait weeks/months if they are busy completing large wholesale orders.

8. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

Thanks for the advice regarding doing a search on vendors. Leson learned as from today forward I certainly will do.

As I said I called numerous times and finally this morning the answering machine said it was full!
    My only saving grace is I paid via Pay Pal and just got off of the phone and I was protected via Pay Pal's buyer protection.

So now I need replacement sheet metal for my 30 Model A P/U any good sugestions?

Thanks

9. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

I totally agree, why advertise for the guy buying in small quantity? You go to their website and you got the guys from 2 Guys Garage promoting them showing the one part they needed!

By the way my order was over $1500.00 so it was not just one part!

10. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

howells is worth the wait...but there is also Carline inc. Right down the road a ways..in beaumont .they do speedy work and make quality patch panels.

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Quite often they have what you want in stock. They have filled MILLIONS of orders with happy customers, but one whiner on the internet can make a lot of noise

12. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

I ordered a trunk lid from Snyders , when it came in, It was twisted 3/4" front one corner to another on a diagonal line. They gladly refunded it and told me the the same guys that build brookville roadsters parts where making them.

I was expecting a little fit up on a 30 model a, but for $550 I was not going to reconstruct this deck lid

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...And on the other hand, when my quarters came in for my '29 RPU, they actaully fit better on the factory brackets than the original sheet metal did. I do get the run thing and always make sure when I buy form them that I don't need it yesterday. Nothing in this hobby happens quickly.

14. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

To make it clear especially to Chrisntx, I'm not complaining or whinning I am asking if anyone else has had issues and from what I've seen on search, yeah theres plenty of upset folks and the complaints go back a few years.

My point is this, when you order from a vendor most will put on their order form that it may take weeks to get. No problem, but most vendors (I have bought from Synders, MAC's, etc) they have a way of checking on your order for a progress. I started to inquire over a week ago what the status was on my order, not being an ass about it. But I never recieved any word. I also called and the phone just rang. It wasn't until this morning when I called and their machine said it was full that I got concerned. If there still in business great, communicate with me on my order thats all!

If it's going to be 1 week, 1 month whatever communicate. If this is a one man show then I agree with SquireDon and sell only to wholesale, just my 2cents

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Folks who don't want to satisfy the retail customer shouldn't advertise for the retail customer to "bother" them. Those who who do retail should have a parts inventory in stock on hand for retail sales. How hard can that be? Business is business and there is that little thing about mail order sales and how the federal and state governments feel about retailers who don't deliver in a timely fashion, usually 30 days from time of order and payment.

16. bagged51ford

bagged51ford
    from San Jose

It took me 30 + attempts to get a hold of these guys and I got the same thing recorder full. When I got someone live I forgot why I was calling it caught me off guard. I placed the order and got everything in a week which suprised the hell out of me. I thought it would take forever but was willing to wait. The parts are soso, they dont match so make sure you line things up and check the shape I noticed they don't put the bends in the sheet metal its flat.

17. Dave Zapatka

Dave Zapatka

I've used Howel for years and yes sometimes he is a little slow but what the Hell he aint perfect either !!!

18. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

common problem when placing orders online instead of calling ahead and checking stock, you could be waiting for quite awhile as most companies will just back order your part and wait until they have enough back orders to warrant making another run of that part.

I've used Howells with no problems but I always call ahead and make sure the parts I need are in stock and ready to ship, if they aren't I use Mac's, Synders, CW Moss or a few others. Key here is to call ahead and check stock. Until these companies do online inventory it's the only way to go. If you can't get a hold of them on the phone, their too busy for my order I call someone else who isn't...

19. I've read these posts before, but I've always had good experiences with howells, never had to wait more than a few days to get my stuff. I called around trying to get the above deck panel for my roadster, everyone sells it for more money, & they were out of stock, howells had it, shipped it, three days later, there it was!

20. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

you need to order from a stocking dealer as was said earlier ...........
    the items i've used have been a perfect fit...direct sheet metal in socal&howells supply most of what you see offered for sale.......

21. Bikerjim14

Bikerjim14

I just bought 2 cab corners for my 42 Ford from them. Only took a week to get to Maine

22. I ordered parts for a 32 5-window on 8-25-11...thursday of last week.....UPS delivered my parts today.8-29-11...4 days total....
    WHERES THE BEEF????Maybe its the way some of you guys talk to them on the phone..you know Attitude???

23. 5window

5window

I am curious how you ,and others, expect to talk to them when they don't answer the phone and the answering machine is full? The problem in this and many other threads is that YOU CAN'T GET A HOLD OF THEM!

It is a very poor business model, but that's what it is. Buy from a stocking dealer.

24. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I have ordered several parts from Howell's and they fit well. I did get them to answer the phone a few times and they would tell me that the parts had just gone out. I'd call a week later and they would tell me that they will be going out this week, no answers to emails, etc. Thats no way to run a business.

25. dirtyhippy

dirtyhippy

i have been waiting on an order placed in may. numerous phone calls and emails,not once a returned message or call. finally got a hold of him 2 weeks ago and am supposed to have parts this week.???

26. I always had good dealings with old man Howell over the years. He was never cheap and never fast but his stuff was always good. I learned to physically go to his shop to pick my stuff up.....he never did get in too big of a hurry, and like a lot of really talented craftsmen that I've known over the years, he didn't give a crap if that pissed you off or not.

So....you either dealt with him on his terms or you threw a fit and left....it was entirely up to you. I always chose to deal with him.

I've never dealt with the new management.

27. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Here we have a Made in the USA product and a lot of complainers.

Would you like it better if the stuff was made in China or will you be happy if Howells closes the doors and goes out of business??

28. Where's that beating a dead horse caption..it's time for it.

29. E-mailed a question about product availability and got a very quick response. Have ordered parts in the past with only minor problems in the past (the box arrived but it was empty). The replacement part came in just a few days. My panel beating skills (?) make the wait worth it some times

30. willys_truck

willys_truck

People would not complain if they shipped them there parts. I got excuses for 2 months before I finally filed fraud through paypal and got my money back.