Register now to get rid of these ads!

howdy from so cal the birth of drag racing.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by jcw, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jcw

jcw
    from pomona ca

i am 61 and all threw the 60s and 70s hung out at lyons, irwindale and ocir. i was at the last drag race at lyons. my brother in law [chuck smithfield] had his hemi powered b/sr out that day.
    i saw a lot of great races over the years. a couple that stand out are
    grumpy and butch leal had a match race on a wedensdy night at ocir. butch won at i think a 9.48 et.
    the other one was at lyons. it was the dyno man [ my god] and butch leal at the top of his game. the dyno man won. yes i am a ford man but i have been around a lot of fast gm and mopars. love them all.
    my buddy and i raced in div 7 1975 in modified elem in a 65 stang [g gas] .it was powered buy a boss 302. got a lot of help from jim stevens [ you da man].best performance was runner up at the fremont points meet in modified. ran a 10.67 on a 10.61 index. this was a very back yard effort.
    back then other drag racing buddies were van prothero and danny broguear. we sure had fun. thanks for letting a old fool ramble.

2. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Welcome,

We like rambling.... especially about drag racing. So dig out any old photos you might have and post them on (ROYAL SHIFTERS) "drag cars in motion thread." There is a ton of history there.

Joe

3. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea
    BANNED

Welcome Jcw,,,,,

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

A huge tire tearing, rubber smelling, nitro tasting welcome to you sir.