Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods howards cams?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bulletproof1, May 12, 2010.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

anyone ever use there stuff?

2. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Got one of their cams in this engine.......32 Barn Car

Attached Files:

3. 31modelo

31modelo

Have a Rev kit going in my Cadillac by Howards.

Attached Files:

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I put an F5 in a GMC years ago. Worked fine.

Todays trivia: Howard use to drink beer from quarts because it was cheaper.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh yeah, these sticks have a long history. Founder Howard Johansen was famous for wringing more horsepower out of a cam than the local adversaries, some of whom 'disected' some of Howard's cams and when indexing, were puzzled.
    Barney Navarro wrote some praise for Howard's cams in his late biography, Barney never gave credit away freely!
    Harold, Howard's son has taken over the business, and is very knowledgeable about the old as well as the new. I called him for info on some Howard's flathead cams I have, also some for my DeSoto and Chrys hemis, and one I have in my 455 Olds.

6. ran an M8 in a flattie for years loved it.......

7. His son Donny is THE cam man...

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

I met Donnie at Bonneville last year. Great guy.

Also have a M4F, I think, in the 235. Great cam.

9. The name and late model end of the business was sold a few years ago -- so the 'Howards Cams' of WI that you see on the internet and advertising all the normal SBC stuff is not the same as the vintage stuff.

After he sold the name/business, Donnie Johansen saddled up with the late Chet Herbert -- to kind of handle the vintage and odd-ball stuff. You'd call Herbert and if you knew the secret code words, they'd pass you to Donnie. Donnie kept all the original masters from way back in his Dad's days -- didn't get sold with the name and late model stuff to 'Howards Cams' out of WI.

He is one heck of a good guy, fun to talk to and still has some fire in his belly. Now he may promise you a custom cam in a few weeks . . . that takes a few months, but he's not the first in that regard :D He recently took his business and sold/merged it with Contreras Cams (may be a start-up) and who knows how long he'll still be working, but for now . . . he's a great resource and is willing to make just about anything.

Contreras Camshafts 15298 El Prado Road, Chino, CA, 91710 (909) 597 -5950

10. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thanks for the info,i was looking for a new bump stick for my ford 302,the prices are decent..

11. Now that Cad is CANDY, look at those valve covers...

12. Magneto-fired, Ardun-headed, six carbed flatties with Howard cams suck.

The sarcasm is so thick you could cut it with a straight razor.