Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Howard adjustable cam? (from an old ad)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I saw this in the 'Vintage Shots' Thread and have no idea what they are talking about.

[​IMG]

What do the numbers in each of the quadrants represent? I'm familiar with a cam diagram that looks like this -

[​IMG]

And the ad seems to imply that each lobe could be adjusted individually. Howard was/is a major cam grinder but this really puzzles me.

2. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I am very sure It is the lash he is talking about. The lobes can not be adjusted but they can be ground with clearance ramps that allow a large range of lash settings. Say from .020 to .030. There is a formula for lash= degrees of lobe duration. But it is fact that loose valve lash = shorter valve timing and tighter lash = longer duration.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. RmK57

RmK57

I thought it could be done through the timing chain set up. Advancing or retarding cam timing like the Cloyes Hex-adjust.

loudbang likes this.
  4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Chain wouldn't adjust one lobe, which seems to be what the ad is claiming. I dunno, no idea how that'd work. Looks like Howards is still in business. Call up their tech line and ask?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.

5. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Add SAYS revolutionary new cam, intake-n- exhaust in 5 min, but things that are adjustable are ---> well here see pictures.

cam adj.jpg Cloyes_Hex_A_Just.jpg adjustable.jpg vari.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Any adjustable timing chain/sprockets will change all valves; the ad says 1 or 16..I believe the roller lifters had axles for the rollers on center and off set..When on center the degrees would be what the cam lobe was on center to the crank but by using the off set axle location you could advance or retard that one lifter/valve, still have the same lobe profile but just advanced or retarded by the five degrees, the duration [290] stays the same..IE, 20/90 [retarded 5]...25/85 [strait up]...30/80 [advanced 5]...BUT what I wrote maybe for another brand cam and I don't get why the timing cover has to be off or maybe means intake manifold and wouldn't work with solid lifters!..Yeah, call Howards; will find out if any one is there thats old enough to remember..!! LOL..

loudbang likes this.
  7. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Yes I think you are right about the changing the duration individually with offset axle on the roller but the ad claimed flat tappets were also adjustable?? It mentions the timing cover being off so it is a mystery . My earlier possible explanation of lash is already known to most tuners so that Idea is out too. Now I'm really curious.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

9. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Thanks for the replies - there was some original thinking in the 'old days'

loudbang likes this.
  10. Fordors

Fordors

I'm in agreement with Seb on the offset axles and Howard's must have sold lifters at straight up, and also with a 5 or 10* offset. There is no other logical explanation, the axles have to be fixed in the lifter body otherwise there is no reliability.
    The mention of the timing cover and solid lifters just had to be invalid claims. I can remember a Howard's decal showing a roller lifter with scribed lines on it for 0* and then 5 and 10* on both the advance and retard side but that must have been in the early '60's. Calling Howard's today will probably get a big "Huh??"
    Howard Johansen had a lot of ideas for cams, his own injectors, even what must have been the first fabricated aluminum block with hemisphereical heads for the drags. The Polish Prince, Leland Kolb ran it one time in his dragster at an NHRA event before the association with the motto that said at the time "Ingenuity in Action" banned it.
    I have photos of the engine in a funny car chassis, I took them at an early meet at Rt. 66 Drag Strip where it was on display.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

How about just changing the rocker arms from a 1.6 to a 1.68 or higher.
    Valves open higher and it would change the characteristics of any cam.

Jimbo

loudbang likes this.
  12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Howards cams sold the NAME off to another company many years ago. Bobby Johansen due to health issues closed the alu rod business a couple years ago, and Donnie Johansen grinds "Cacklefest"cams on occasion , Donnie would be the one to talk to about this as this is/was way before the name was sold

loudbang likes this.
  13. flatjack

flatjack

Howards is now located here in Oshkosh, Wi. Competition Products bought them out, but have retained the name. As far as I know, they never got any of the old masters.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Post above is correct, after Howard , one took over rods , one cams, Donnie had the cams, I used to stop by just to bs with Donnie, his sister was a property over, lots to see. First aluminum heads, I got a stock orig Chevy cam for my 56 vette. Howard was one of the thinkers. And I have no Idea how to change only one cylinder under the cam cover, maybe typo, on ad ???

loudbang likes this.
  15. This kind of stuff is what makes the Hamb so cool.
    Normal people don't know this kind of stuff :)

loudbang likes this.
  16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I seen this a couple of years ago on COMP CAMS website, granted it was on April fools day.
    12719434_10153648573121025_2929790430486048015_o.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017