Register now to get rid of these ads!

How/when did you join your first car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63FalconFutura, Jun 29, 2010.

1. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

Well i have always been curious, post your stories here

2. 454navyss

454navyss

i have never been in a car club...i wouldnt mind joining one though

3. 1958, Night Angels, New Brunswick, NJ. Would like to find some of the old members. That was a better time for cars.

4. moter

moter

clubs are for seals :D

5. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Joined the club I'm in, geez around 2006ish. Got in farely easy, but turnaround on members was like a revolving door, 4 members (including myself) were serious about the quality of people we had so a house cleaning was in store, new prospect rules, you had to be sponsored by a member, you're in after a 100% vote and waiting for a year, your sponsor pays for your jacket and plaque and you are on probation for 6 mos. Every since then we've had nothing, but loyal, quality members with great attitudes, respect, family and bitchin' rides. We're a small group, but the quality not the quantity is what matters now.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

about 1964. 5 guys with a club car in the back yard of a parents house. Chopped model A sedan. No garage just tarps. It didn't last long. We never got it running but it was the first.

Clubs aren't for everyone but I've been in one or another for most of my hot rodding life. Some with monthly meetings and some just loose connections. They have been very helpful for me. In the times between clubs, I seem to stagnate and nothing gets accomplished. Peer pressure can be a good thing at times.

7. bobjob55

bobjob55

1968... southern cal. vw club .... and L. A . street racers .. great times ,, great party's ... and yes being with a group of " like minded" guys to keep kicking you in the butt helps a lot ... wish i had someone out here to help keep me motivated nowadays....

8. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

wow sounds nice :)

9. lowelife

lowelife

In at birth (through parents of course), lasted about 16 years before it was disbanded. Two guys thought they were the whole club so that was that. All the original memebers left but one, including the folks, and that was the last of the car clubs for us.
    A buddy and me are thinking about starting another but who knows.

10. Joined the Rake Runners in Sedalia, Missouri in 1958 or 9. Loose knit group that was fairly active. I am still in contact with some of them yet today. We re-ordered the plaques about 2 years ago from O'brien Truckers and they still had the original art work that was done by Charlie Smith more than 50 years ago. Have been a member of several since them but most all since then were Power Parking, trophy whores, so that didn't last long.
    Later,
    Dick

11. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Pipes Motor Cult, started by me and my brother. We have a blood initiation and everything!

12. krome

krome

I was 16. I joined Tiempo CC. Las Vegas' oldest lowrider club. Figured why join a club with lots of young dumb guys like me when I could join a club with old members who could teach me. Plus it kept me out of trouble. Took over as President for 4+ years. Now I'm out the car club. Just hang with everybody.

13. moparjack44

moparjack44

Not yet, but heck, I'm only 65 :D.

14. Awesome...;)

15. Brahm

Brahm

I'm still trying to make my first friend.. A car club now that's fancy business!

[​IMG]

16. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

I joined Green Country Classic Mustangs in 2001 & left a couple of months afterward. I never fit into clubs. I was asked to introduce myself & tell what cars I owned. After I got to the third muscle car they all rolled their eyes in disbelief. I had to drive a different cat to each meeting to "prove" I had them. After I did I left.

17. I was looking at joining a club a couple of years ago. It was a pretty bad experience and has pretty much soured me to the idea.
    I was posting on another board in a thread about car clubs and mentioned something about having some interest in joining a local club. So, I got a message from a member of a club inviting me to check out his board and get a feel for his club. OK, cool. So, I register and start posting, getting to know some of the guys. Pretty much all young guys, but they seemed alright.
    After a while, I get another message from a guy who was in another club, inviting me to check out their board and members. So I did.
    As it turned out, the second club was an offshoot of the first club, formed by disgruntled members sick of the other club's bullshit.
    So the guy who sent me the invite to the first club finds out I'm posting on the other club's board (keep in mind I was NOT a member of either club) and starts telling me stuff like "you'll see how they are" and "watch your back with those guys" and shit like that. So a few weeks go by, then I get a message from a member of the second board accusing me of talking shit on their club with the guys on the other board, and how I was trying to start problems, which of course I never did. I kept my business my own and didn't even MENTION one club to the other.
    As it turns out, the head guy from the first club was still buddy-buddy with the head of the second club and they both talked behind everyone else's backs, while talking about how bad the other club was. He used me to get under the skin of the guys in the second club.
    There were a couple cool guys from the second club who I still talk to, but the first club ended up being a bunch of scenester dickheads, some of whom were responsible for starting trouble at one of the hotels that was supporting the Hot Rod Hoedown a couple years back.
    I did look into another club that a member invited me to check out and even offered to possibly set me up with a local chapter, but the next closest member was 1000 miles away and there was no way I could make their club events. They all seemed like good guys and there's no hard feeling there whatsoever.
    So while I can't say I'd NEVER join a club, it would have to be a well established and reputable club.

18. I've only ever belonged to one car club. I didn't set out to join.

I was at the skating rink in Hillsboro when I was in highschool. It was a good place to meet gurls and get in a fight.
    Anyway this cute girl came over and wanted to skate when they had couples skate. i obliged her of course. Turned out her boyfriend was a fella in his 20s and he jumped me. He had on shoes me skates. This big Mexican guy intervened and said let me put my shoes on and go outside.

I walked out with the Mexican (Jose), and the older guy came after me with a tire iron. Jose grabbed him and said what was uo I was just a kid. By then I had the knife out of my back pocket Jose smiled and said that's a little more even. He let him go I cut him and he ran away.

Jose said where do you live. I said Forest Grove and he said I'll take you home the cops are going to come. We ran and jumped into the worlds lowest '59 Chebby. Beautiful custom and I'm not a custom type.

Jose and the rest of my soon found friends belonged to a club called the Cam Busters. Some customs, some rods, mostly all Mexicans in the club. They just sort of took me in.

That was about 40 or so years ago and I still remember those fellas. Good folks uno a todos.

19. Bull

Bull

I was just accepted by the Scavengers on Saturday. I have been a member of unofficial clubs or organizations too large to consider a club but this is my first official car club membership.

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It was a POS!! We were 18. The rear end was welded solid to the Model A frame. Young and dumb.

21. gsport

gsport

1996 joined my first club.. i'd just bought my new grandsport corvette and wanted a place with friends to hang out with. i'm in my 3rd corvette club now, the other two were down in calif. sunday 7 of us got together for a bbq and oil change at my house (i have a lift) to do some more planning of a national park tour we are doing this summer.. here's a picture from sunday
    [​IMG]

22. Around 1976 or so.Three or four of us car people that knew each other got to talking about starting a club.We rounded up everyone we figured would like to start one.We got together and came up with a name and bi-laws.We met,had fun,I moved away,later I think the club folded.Joined another in the place I moved to but all they wanted to do is constantly raise money and go out to eat.Never discussed cars anymore.The wives took over and I couldn't stand all the eating, gossip and busy bodies.I quit. No more clubs for me.:cool:

23. VintageGuy1940

VintageGuy1940

In 1957 I joined the Switchers Car Club in Roseville, CA. Roseville was the largest rail hub in the western US, hence the club name Switchers. I was still in high school.

24. First club I was in was a Mopar club I co-founded in 1982 with about a dozen friends. I held every office at least once, and was part of the club when it reached its high of 130 members and a low of just six. It got to be such a PITA after over 20+ years involvement that I quit and never looked back.

I've been in probably a dozen other clubs over the same time frame, depending on what kind of car or truck I owned at the time.

Proudly club-free these days. The HAMB is probably the closest thing I'll ever come to a "club" again.

25. Fisrt club I joined was the No Club Lone Wolf club when I finally found a plaque in 1977. Made extra plaques and the rest is history as they say (100,000 plaques for 3,000+ clubs plus a collection of 12,100+ plaques and patterns of history).

Dennis

26. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

good stories keep them comming

27. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Me and some dudes started one in 1996, We still do that crap.

28. I bought my first "Hot Rod" a few months ago and one of the guys I work with asked if I wanted to join the club he was in, so now I'm with the Rusted Rockers, yeah me. Now if the ship I'm on was home a little more ofter we could actually do something with our cars. Got to love the Navy.

29. dragster dude

dragster dude

clubs are like shoes ,it doesnt matterwhich one yoy join as long as its a good comfortable fit
    i joined eliminators hotrod and american car club late in 99 still going strong

30. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal