Register now to get rid of these ads!

How well do you handle your welding equipment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CharlieLed, Nov 22, 2003.

1. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I got these photos and story from a friend of mine. This is one of those "wake up calls" that we all can use at times to re-establish the importance of safety in our shops and garages....

"This is an incident in Newcastle. It happened on Monday the 29th of September. A fitter with a works van left an E size Oxygen and Acetylene cylinder on the back seat of a Toyota dual cab over the weekend. The Acetylene cylinder must not have fully closed and a small leak occurred.

Over the weekend the Acetylene had accumulated in the van. On the Monday morning the fitter approached the van and opened the door, a large explosion took place. We believe the ignition could have been caused by either the internal light, the automatic door control or by a mobile phone which was on the front seat of the van. The fellow was also a smoker. He has damage to his ear drums and facial damage. As you can see by the attached photos he was very lucky."

2. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Another pic...

3. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

From the rear...

4. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

That looks more like a pressure explosion instead of one needding an ignition source. I worked next to to a shop that cleaned the paint tanks for GM. When they left for the night someone left some sort of gas valve partially open. This gas being heavier than air settled along the floor of the shop. About 5:30pm all the walls of the shop blew outwards at the bottom, due to lack of ventilation.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

about thirty years ago there was a local hot rodder that would throw parties,

one of the big occasions was when he would stack one car on top of another,

seal the bottom car up, fill it with Ox/Acc and wire it for remote detonation.

we would all stand WAY back when it blew the car on top would fly about twenty feet in the air!

the fitter in your example IS luck to be alive.

Paul

6. Greezy

Greezy

Acetylene must burn fast, like hydrogen. There is definatley a lack of scorching on the remains of the vehicle. And that guy is VERY LUCKy to be alive.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That looks more like a pressure explosion instead of one needding an ignition source.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, Sure. I'm guessing a Toyota truck full of ignited Acetylene would create some fucking pressure?!?!?! Hahaha.

8. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

[ QUOTE ]
    about thirty years ago there was a local hot rodder that would throw parties,

one of the big occasions was when he would stack one car on top of another,

seal the bottom car up, fill it with Ox/Acc and wire it for remote detonation.

we would all stand WAY back when it blew the car on top would fly about twenty feet in the air!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good clean source of amusement and entertainment! and my kinda PARTY [​IMG]

9. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Sorry. I posted before the other pics were posted and couldn't see the burned out dash and grass...

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

You can see pics like that on the walls of welding stores all the time.
    If that guy was a professional he should have known better.
    Everybody has to deal with to many rules and regulations because of idiots like that.

11. lulabelle

lulabelle

I travel about 70,000 miles a year for work.I have a set in the back of my truck at all times.I never take the guages off while in transport.I just don't take the time.I've been lucky enough to have not been caught to this point.(or hurt!)I will go out NOW to fix this!Thanks for the wake-up!

12. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

i thought that acetylene in open air in pressures over 15 psi becomes highly unstable. if the pressure in the tank was 600 psi, and it all leaked into the truck, it would be over 15 psi in the truck. i dont know, sucks to be that guy though

13. plan9

plan9

iam noob to welding/gas tanks... i usually make sure the valves are shut off all the way... are there any signs to look for if there is a small leak?...check the hoses, and look for damage around the gauges?

14. [ QUOTE ]
    . He has damage to his ear drums and facial damage. As you can see by the attached photos he was very lucky."

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was lucky his damn truck wouldn't have blown up.

JH

15. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

A guy and his wife died when putting Acetylene in a Propane tank... the first bump on the road set it off and took out the cab of the truck.

Most people dont realize that actylene gas can not be compressed and The acetylene stored in the cylinder is dissolved in acetone. A full cylinder should not exceed 250 psig @ 70F

you dont wana tip those tanks either... the tank is not hollow its filled with a porus material that the acetone sits in... keep them upright to keep acetone from the valve.

When I was at Tech some kids knocked over a Oxygen tank when hooking it up to a portible cart and it went right through a cinder block wall... it broke the brass valve off the top CLEAN... shot out like a ROCKET! nobody was hurt.

people cant stress safety enough... even when theres rules to follow...

Dont let the above happen to a hamber DAMN that explosion is nasty.
    Tuck

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

The lucky part is that he did not have a kid that sneaked over to steal his smokes out of his Truck, or wife...
    What happened to him was self inflicted.
    Now watch him find a way to sue Toyota.

17. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

tuck explained what i was trying to remember.

18. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

[ QUOTE ]
    people cant stress safety enough... even when theres rules to follow...

[/ QUOTE ]

Look up the word pyroforic.

19. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

20. What Rocknrod said....

21. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

That's insane. I still say he's pretty lucky to be breathing.

22. LIMEY

LIMEY

Glad he wasn't seriously hurt, thanks for the wake-up call,
    even happier it was a Toyota!

washing up liquid is good for checking any kind of gas leak, i'm guessing you all know that anyway!

23. Does that photo look super fake to anyone else? like shawdows that don't match up, or maybe needs a few burn marks somewhere? It looks like bullshit to me...

24. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

what do you want,,pics of the guy??..
    Anyway, he's lucky to be alive!...Maybe this will remind 'some' of us how important and crucial safety is...Thanks for sharing...

Dirty

25. james

james

The thing that gets me is the cut in the bed and topper--almost look like someone took a sawzall straight down through both. Seems like the fiberglass would have reacted differently than the metal. weird