Register now to get rid of these ads!

How well do you fit in your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blackmaria60, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Lol I'm not offended by any of that. I know I'm a fatass - being tall hides it some, and I wasn't always this way. Stress came down a couple years ago when my wife forgot she wasn't allowed to have boyfriends. Then, a handgun, the rubber room and tons of therapy later (all for her, not me!) I'm divorced and now have a really kool car girl chick (who sold a bunch of her crap to help me buy said Chevy)
    But I digress: it was the God awful drama w/the ex that made me fatten up. Not with burgers and beer, but Chinese and Little Debbies!
    It's coming off....but it's hard when you hit your 40's.

2. markbe1

markbe1

Just wait, I was 6'2" in high school, now I'm retired and 6' 1 & 3/4"

3. Im 6'3" 215. Was 259 last year, I still fit the same in my 55 now, but I put a 13" steering wheel in from the get go because my knees kept getting in the way!

4. roughneck424

roughneck424

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

BEFORE

[​IMG]

Just go ahead and lose the weight ... I was 335 lbs in the top photo and 220 in the lower photo.
    I now FIT easily in a 32 Ford 3W coupe.
    :D

6. If you are too big to fint in a '55 Cheby you need to work on something. It sound to me like you could stand to lose quite a bit if weight and that maybe the issue is more than not fitting in your car. I suppose that is the pot calling the kettle black I don't have a weight problem but I smoke. :eek:

I would loose the weight if it were me.

7. woodypecker

woodypecker

Was 6 foot and 250 with Model a pickup and hole worn in tee shirt. Lost 15 pounds and reduced wheel diameter and now have clearance. I am keeping the old wheel and hope to lose 25 more.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I love that line "My wife forgot she wasn't allowed to have boyfriends." :D:D Lots of them have bad memories when it comes to that little detail.

Don

9. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

If you got a hardtop, trade it for a sedan, that'll get you an inch or two head room. If you have a sedan, just bolt the seat back a couple inches. And who likes the stock steering wheel, that needs downsizing no matter what! I think the stock wheel shrunk an inch and a half is the coolest.

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'd modify the seat brackets. Take some out the height, weld on some extensions. Exercise optional.

11. stimpy

stimpy

new one sounds like a keeper , maybe she will help you loose the weight , My 2nd wife is trying to help , but being 6'4" 280 and having some health issues is not helping me , but she is trying . she wants me back to the weight I was in college when she 1st knew me ( 230 ) and I have a major problem fitting in the toys I play with as they are of the newer generation and have tight rollcages long doors and are low to the ground . so they laugh when I have to roll out of the car to get out .

12. Even at 6' 2" and 250 I look like a circus bear on a bicycle when I drive my roadster. Been loosing weight, 40 lbs so far, so I can get in and out of that stinking full containment seat in my race car next year.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 6' 8" tall buddy who did just that in his Falcon Ranchero in the mid 60's. He unbolted the seat, figured out how far he could safely move it back and drilled new holes and bolted it back in, instant extra leg room. He didn't need the belly room then.

I'm only 5 10 on a tall day and look like well fed Fred right now so it is going to be a moratorium on french fries for me for the next year.

14. nickk

nickk

Im always seeing people on here talk about comfort issues and it honestly makes me feel greatful for being 5'8 155lbs, I can fit comfortbly in a stock model A, but it does have its many down falls for sure, id rather be alittle taller and heavier for sure

15. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I fit in them all, funny seeing all those fat boys in small cars, I will either loose weight or get a bigger car...me, 5-11 205....Not fitting in your caris like the Old Man Pony Tail, and having a bald spot....

[​IMG]

16. MERRELL

MERRELL

im 6'5'' 285lbs and have a bitch of a time fitting in my bone stock 30 coupe:eek:

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Make it fit man. Adjust the brackets or what ever ya gotta do

Attached Files:

18. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I am 6'2 and went from 305 to 230 so much better. Easier to do almost anything. I fit in my chopped 41 pu now. It's the best solution to your problem

19. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I used to fit "in" my Sedan and now I sit "on" my roadster. Might as well ride a motorcycle!

20. HamD

HamD

21. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Amen. Im 6'2 300 pounds and i have a 38 inch waist. I fit in a stock model A. My brother is 6'2 and 400lbs but cant drive his Merc anymore because the wheel digs into his gut. I told him i refuse to move the seat back for him, and if he wants to be comfortable, lose the weight. Well the car has sat for over a year now because he refuses to try. :( Its more a concern for his health than anything.

22. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

And the best thing is what it does for your health. After loosing 70 lbs my blood pressure went from 149/90 to 118/65.

23. Hell women pay thousands of dollars to "Jenny Craig" for wieght lose programs.

Any questions on why I name all my cars "Jenny"

24. Lucky77

Lucky77

Here's some pics of the seating placement in my sedan. I'm 6'1", and a little under 200 lbs. The car is chopped 6" and chanelled 6" at the Z and 3" the rest of the way. No, its not comfortable and it kills my knees and back on longer trips. I have to sit pretty far back which means my steering wheel vibrates at highway speed and wears out my arms. I have to stoop foreward a little to see everything through the windshild which ends up bugging my shoulders on long trips. Also, I don't have much padding on the seat because I can't afford to sit any higher.

So, a chopped and chanelled car can really kick your ass. I've been driving my sedan for going on four years now. Its a fun around town bar hopper, but it sucks if I take it out of my zip code. It was my first hot rod and I learned a lot. There's a reason I'm building an unchanelled roadster with a comfy seat. And my coupe is going on a 32 frame and only getting a 3.5-4" chop.

Attached Files:

25. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Chopped, channeled, on the ground, no one said cool would be confrontable!!!!

26. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

DANG! When we have the HAMB tag-team wrestling championships, I want "the dude" on my team.

I think there is more of a general fit difference on old cars than just your size. It seems to me the late 40s and 50s cars have the seat too high and the column too long. Others have mentioned lowering or moving the seat back, has anyone shortened the column on a car? I have not, but with the exception of maybe some shifter geometry it may be a relatively simple solution; weight loss or not. I like to keep the original wheel.

27. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've had a Model A and now a '63 Pontiac Grand Prix. At 5'5", I can fit in anything. However, at 60, I hit the gym 5 days a week and only eat half of what is on my plate.

28. darkk

darkk

I have a 46 Hudson racecar converted for street use. I'm 5'8" and about 225lb. The car has a chopped top (low) and an 8 point cage in it. The seat back is right up against the side to side cross bar and the seat is too close to the wheel. When I drive, I feel like a monkey humping a football. I'm to close to the wheel, the gas pedal is way to close to the seat so my leg is uncomfortable if more than a 30 minute drive, the brake pedal is to close to the steering column, the column gets in the way when I need to stop, have to 2 foot drive the damn thing. Been thinking about cutting the bar out but hate to hack it up...But it's cool to drive. I just put up with it. After all, it's hot rodding.....

29. Lucky77

Lucky77

Out of curiosity I just went out and measured the width and height of two stock Ford vehicles: a 1930 Model A coupe and a 2009 F-150. The coupe's interior is 44" tall from floor to ceiling, and 45" wide at the B pillars. The truck is 67" wide at the door panels, and 50" tall from the floor to the ceiling. I think the average person in the 1920's-30's was about 5'4" and 130 lbs:eek:

30. maybe you should sue chevy for making a car too small for you to be comfortable in. then you can sue mcdonalds for making the food that fat americans love to consume making it hard for them to fit in thier cars of yesteryear. maybe you should drive your chevy to the next show at the local sonic burger and sell it to another somebody that needs a car of yesteryear. Or better yet take the steps to lose the extra 100 lbs you are carrying and enjoy your car for many more years. Alot of fat chicks buy a pair of jeans to hang in thier closet that are too small. They keep them in the front of the closet and set a diet and fittness goal to fit in to them. They are "goal pants". Some day they may or may not fit them but ther will always strive to get thier fat asses in to them. Park the chevy at the front of the garage as a goal to lose the xtra baggage and start walking around the block. I know I can sound like a ass but come on. you can get it into gear. the last thing the hotrod scene needs is to lose another good person due to fatass related health issues. I hope you take no offence to this reply, I mean you no ill will. I hope you can do what in takes to be healthy. Now but the beer and burger down..... or go sue chevy.

Hey,newby, go somewhere else and preach your dietary BS.

I'll eat what I want and it's none of your or the governments business!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011