Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to wire doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Indychus, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Ok, I know this has been done, but I can't find much info on it.

I am wanting to put some speakers in the doors on my '52 Chevy. I got some accordian boots off of a car at the scrap yard, but after trying to install them, I realized that the geometry between the door and pillar on my car is different from a modern car and it was never intended to have wires run through it.

So, I know people have added power windows, speakers, power locks, etc. to older vehicles... how do you run the wires??

If there are any pics or threads about this, please post them up!

Thanks

KB

2. I used "jamb tacs" from painless wiring on my 51'. Work great, no wires between the jamb and door. Vendors like Speedway Motors sell em'

3. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I just ran the wires for my door poppers in up close to the hinge and shrink wrapped them. It looks good enough for me.

Also, have you considered placing the speakers elsewhere in the car? I hat to see a big modern looking speaker in an older car door panel. You can get pretty small boxes that will allow you to mount a set of small speakers under the seat. May not sound as nice but it looks way better IMHO.

good luck!

4. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

The entire stereo will be hidden, but some components have to go in the doors. I'm an audiophile, so there are no compromises on the sound system. The headunit is behind the glove box and the component speakers are hidden behind modified kickpanels. The car is a 4 door, and will have an 8" subwoofer in each door that will be hidden behind mesh in the door panels. The only part of the system that will be visible is the 2 12" subwoofers in the trunk. And I figure there's no sense in trying to hide them in the trunk since the air ride notch and bridge are visible and take away from the period correct vibe.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Might have to try these... they slide in and out of each other as the door opens and closes...

[​IMG]

6. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

hmmm... that's interesting... do you know who makes those?

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

You can get them on ebay for about $20 shipped.... :)

Here...

I usually keep an eye on them, and get them pretty cheap.

8. Indychus

Indychus
    from Irmo, SC

Thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Glad to help!