Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to use Ford column w/ Oldsmobile steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Legs, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Hey everyone,
    I'm still working out major details on my 54 Ford and long story short I'm still using the stock steering column shaft w/ the stock Ford splines but I've got a 60 Olds steering wheel I'd like to use on this car but I'm assuming it has different splines?

Any suggestions on how to get this to work? BTW, Finding a Olds steering shaft in Iowa would be basically impossible.

Thanks in advance :)

2. I asked this question several months ago but didn't get much of a response...

If you don't want to modify the shaft, your only other choice is modify the wheel. Probably the easiest way would be to get a Ford wheel that fits, machine the splined hub out of it, then bore out the Olds wheel to take the Ford hub (welded in of course). As an alternative, you might be able to modify the Olds hub to accept a Grant-style steering wheel adaptor (about $30 on eBay) for the Ford shaft. This the route I'm taking on my wheel swap, although I'm using a '58 Edsel TeleTouch wheel and those don't have a conventional center, just a 3" hole....

3. Legs: Been through similar wheel/column issues. I think GM may have used the same spline in their cars??? Its always a possibility. A chev or buick or something may be easier to find and that is likely easier to do than the hub mods. (which require some machinery) I found it pretty easy to weld the two together, just how it worked out for me. Tim

4. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

ok, that's what i was thinking as well with maching them to work but was hoping you guys had a easier fix :)

Funny you mention the welding them, jokingly I thought of that and thought it was crazy until I realized I could still remove the shaft from the column without hitting anything since the column shaft is so short cuz of the deep offset of that Olds wheel. I will take the Ford wheel off and see what it looks like it needs first.

Thanks

5. carmak

carmak

I have an extra 57 Cadillac Column in Riverside, IA

Carmak

6. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Interesting, I work in Williamsburg & I got a buddy who lives in Riverside, I'll get ahold of ya, thanks!