Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to use a shrinking disc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57suede, Mar 2, 2011.

1. 57suede

57suede

Hey everyone,

FNG here with a question about shrinking discs.
    I reskinned the doors on my '57 210 sedan and they seemed to fit pretty well, with the exception that the center of the new skins are kinda poofed out. I laid a level across the mid section of the door horizontally, and have a gap of 3/8" at either end of the door between the door and the level. I've been told I can reduce this swelling with a shrinking disc, but I've haven't seen one used, much less have never used one. Is this the way to go?

I'm learning bodywork as I go along, I'm by no means a pro. What do you all recommend?

Tim

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

3. bct

bct

i'm no expert either , but was it puffed out before you installed it? maybe you need to stretch the surrounding areas rather than shrink the center....a 3/8 curve over the length of that door doesn't sound that bad...

if you shrink the center and it oilcans you are going the wrong way

4. Tim-

To follow on a bit further with Jay's YouTube link, here is John Kelly's web site: http://ghiaspecialties.com/ You can get the DVDs from him directly if you want to go further on. John is also on the H.A.M.B.

5. I know this is a prrtty obvious question, but have you tried refitting the door back on the car. Sometimes things look wrong when they aren't on the car, but when we reassemble it, it's not as bad as you thought.

That being said, if the center is still too high i'd start with the shrinking disc. do a general pattern over the center of the door(about 1.5 ft in diameter). Be careful though, you don't want to get the door too hot, if the metal starts to change colors(to blues or really dark grays) it's too hot, and you want to let it cool for about 15 sec. before the next step. Then, with a spray bottle of slightly soapy water, spray the door till it stops steaming. Wipe the panel and let it finish cooling for a few minutes (it will continue to shrink as it cools, trust me.) then check your crown.

MOST importantly, as you get the crown closer to what you want, you'll need to do the last few shrinks with the door on the car, so you can constantly check the curve of the entire car side.

Just my .02

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2 on John Kelly. He can show you how to properly use a shrinking disc. Don't try it unless you've had proper instruction or you may get the panels so far out of shape it will take a real experienced person to get them back. You might try a search for John Kelly in the archives.

Frank

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shrinking discs RULE!!! I have a larger 12" disc and a small 5" disc that I got from Pro Shapers on egay. (sorry John! Just hadn't seen yours yet) Seriously an amazing tool for "precision shrinking".

8. toolman1967

toolman1967

Do a youtube search, I met a guy at a Metalmeet event and he put out a video on youtube that was incredible. I think he went by Chevelle-something or other. To watch him use the disc in person was humbling, I would have stopped several hours before he did. It didnt seem to need a bit of filler after he was done. Awesome work.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say you need to reinstall the door skin correctly. that would be a lot of shrinking.