Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to tell if racing fuel is still good to use...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dandingo, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Dandingo

Dandingo

My dad picked up about 5 of these at a garage sale for pennies. I wanted to find out if it is still safe to run through my wagon. I have no idea how to test fuel to see if it's safe. There are some numbers at the bottom. Possible date? Any advice out there or do I just have to buy a used lawn mower and test it? :eek:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'll test all 5 gallons :D

3. Dandingo

Dandingo

I'd happily let you test it if you were local ;)

Also, I just found out that this one is leaded. Is this bad to run through a '70s 350 SBC?

4. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Have you smelled it? If so dose it smell like bad gas dose?

Is there a cap with a little pull ring under the black cap?

Just run it and top off with premium

5. Race fuel has a shelf life of about 2 years if un opened and stored cool.

If the can was bulging out I would say no -Heat will bulge the can and the light hydrocarbons may have gassed out.

You can go to VP's web site and get the specs on the specific gravity and check it with a hydrometer.

Pump gas is high in paraffin which makes it gel when it gets old, race fuel is low in paraffin.

It doesn't sound like your getting it for your highly tuned race car so as long as it doesn't have that old gas smell and you just want to bump up your octane a bit, you should be ok.

-Don

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

2007. If unopened and has some pressure id say sure. If not, you'll have the best smelling weed eater ever.

7. From VP's web site :
    How long will VP fuels last in an unopened drum

The length of time the fuel will stay fresh in a sealed drum depends on the fuel itself. A non oxygenated fuel such as C12 should be used within a couple years. I personally have tested some that was eight years old and was fine
    The rusted drum can casue problems if it has rusted to the inside.

8. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

If you get a little wiff of it up your nose and it has a little burning kick then it may have some sweetness left, if you can just sit there smelling it forever, you may have bad gas or you may be an addict.