Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to store Car over winter outside?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Nov 12, 2017.

1. What is the way to -

1) properly cover
    allowing car to breathe sitting outside over winter in N.E area of the U.S?

2) What surface to park it on ?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Keep driving her. Not trying to be a smart ass but keep driving her as long as you can .I have had cars stored under tarps for the winter and like the rest of the crew have said it traps moisture. I had just painted a 62 Buick about 10 years ago and had one old car in the shop a ready so I tarped it down and weighted it down with cinder blocks. We get a lot of wind up here on the mountian top during the winter and the tarp kept coming loose on almost every end. When spring time rolled around and I took the tarp off the paint was beat and scratched to hell. I would try a least keeping it under a car port that way you could run her every week or check in to one of those inflatable bubble storage bags you can park your car in that. As long as it doesn't snow I will keep on driving mine. Took it in to town the other day when it was in the 30s.Boy I am glad that old girl has a good heater in it. Good luck with yours .Bruce.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. BJR

BJR

There is NO WAY to keep mice out of the engine compartment and your wiring on a car stored outside. Also very hard to keep the mice out of the inside of the car if it has any amount of rust on the body. Try to find indoor storage and make some 5 gallon water bucket/antifreeze traps for the mice.

chryslerfan55 and CapeCodBob like this.
  4. Park over moisture barrier, on blocks to keep tires round, screens over exhaust/intake, leave windows cracked for venting and a way for the rodents to get out. Turn over 1/month if possible.

Bruce Fischer and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If possible, rent a storage unit for the winter and still follow advice above.

6. Bruce is right. From my experience, you have to store your car or Rod inside. Or if not, at least start and drive it as much as possible. Basically treat it as you would your daily driver. If you store a car out side, with no maintenance, it will turn into yard art. If I have a future project car, that's stored outside the best thing to do is nothing,{ just let it breath} and let it to the open air. But the longer it sits outside, the more work I will need to do to it later. Like said, put it in a storage container, a friends shop, etc. Mother Nature is not a nice lady, when it comes to our old cars,:( {sorry}, but true. Ron...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. I also try to Start them once a Month.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die A fool

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Ever look at the frame of a vehicle that has been stored outside for long periods of time?
    It's like a sponge absorbing moisture.

9. To the OP: Don't know who your insurer is but, mine requires that my junk has to be kept inside in a secure place when not in use. Just something to think about aside from the usual and many issues with outside storage. Better check your coverage.

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^^^^ This.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A good breathable car cover, no tarps. Tarps trap and hold in moisture.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Special Ed, bobwop and Bruce Fischer like this.
  12. Most important thing in the north east is to have a water proof surface under the car. Heavy plastic and/or plywood works well. Parking over bare ground will rot out the underside.

13. jazz1

jazz1

Don't tarp it. I use portable wigwam. Vapour barrier is a must on the floor to keep moisture out over the winter
    I also made a false front to protect entrance from prevailing north wind IMG_1322.JPG

14. 19Fordy Now that's a GOOD idea if you dont have a place to store it a least its out of the weather.Bruce.

15. Change the oil, check the prestone , Drive it up to the front of the garage , throw it in park and lock the doors.

chryslerfan55, jazz1 and pat59 like this.
  16. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it has to stay outside I wouldn't put a cover on it. Any cover or tarp is going to move on the car when the wind blows and it will scuff the paint-ask me how I know. You also want to start and run until completely warm once a month or so, if it's covered up then that becomes a pain in the ass.

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Now that looks like a great idea, who makes/sells those wigwams?

18. GR5

GR5

Hello,

If you have access to power I’d look into an outdoor Car Capsule.

http://carcapsule.com/outdoor-carcapsule/

I️ use their indoor version and it is fantastic. Never had any issues. I️ was speaking with the manufacturer and they think the hum of the fan keeps rodents away.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. What is the surface it will be sitting on ? Gravel is the worst. Do not use a conventional tarp, use a breathable cover. Be sure to not allow it to just sit during the winter months. Start it and move it around. Treat the fuel for storage as well as using a battery tender.

chryslerfan55 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  20. oldsman41

oldsman41

i really dont like storing cars outdoors. can you afford one of those portable garages they sell at menards or harbor frt i think 199.00. im lucky enough around where i live there are places will store indoor heated for 75.oo a month, if you live where the asses down the street loves to bitch about storing cars on the property, thats an option here.

21. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have my car in a car bag inside a heavy duty portable garage that I put a floor in. If you put a car in a car bag it has to have all the fluids removed otherwise battery and moisture is enclosed with metal. If one looks at the cost of car bag and a decent portable then there must be somewhere the car could be stored inside. We have a couple local places that make winter storage available as their businesses are summer. They will take in campers, boats, RVs and cars. I know that it costs about $150 a winter for my friend to store his 36 ft camper inside at an old ice rink. The local agricultural club has large buildings and take in winter storage as well for about $150 for a camper for the winter. Both call when they want to empty the building for their summer use. Ask around. There may be a seasonal business with space for your car.

22. gene-koning

gene-koning

My car sits outside year around. In the winter, you need a moisture barrier between the car and the ground. Grass is the worst. Any kind of cover on the car will kill the paint in a year. If you can afford it, inside storage would be better, and your car insurance may require it to keep the coverage. Gene

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jazz1 showed exactly what I was thinking of in his post #13. One that has a vapor barrier below the car and a real sturdy portable carport that fits somewhat close to the car but doesn't let anything touch the car and is designed to shed snow, water and wind. You don't need room to work inside you just need enough room around the car to get out of the car when you back it in. From experience the bigger portable car ports either get blown away or don't shed snow and collapse.
    The round top ones aren't cheap but look a lot sturdier than the other ones. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...oundtop-instant-garage-sandstone?cm_vc=IOPDP1

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Interior Desiccants

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Best thing i did was buy an enclosed trailer.
    Now I have a safe dry place to store a car, and a trailer available whenever I need.
    I take the wheels off one side to discourage theft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Live in Florida

49ratfink likes this.
  27. Mine stays indoors, but I drive it quite often no matter how cold. I was out Saturday with it, 22 and windy. Being outside, it would be a mouse and squirrel duplex.

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

We need details of the car and your living situation.
    Everyone is answering as if you have a finshed (painted) driving car and reside in a single family home with property to build a portable shelter.
    Is the car running/driving/painted? Or a project car?
    Do you have room to build an on site shelter, or are you in a HOA district or condo? Do you have a carport or a garage (full of stuff that can be cleaned out to make room for the car) as an option?

29. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Put the word out to your friends that you're looking for storage.
    Only once did I have to park a car outside for the winter, there's always someone with an empty garage who'd like a few extra bucks in their pocket.

The year I did park my ot convertible outside, I didn't do anything special.
    It was parked on gravel,
    I didn't cover it or put anything special in it.
    I did start it up and drive it to the end of the driveway and back a few times once a month. That kept everything moving freely. I don't drive the old cars after they start salting the roads until after a few good rains in April, but with winters here I normally drive them till November so it's only 5 months I'm off the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  30. jazz1

jazz1

IMG_2678.JPG IMG_1324.JPG The round type of wigwams do shed the snow however you have to shovel it away from sides as it builds up and puts pressure on walls. My first cover lasted 4 years. New cover was $200 so cheap storage IMO
    With poly on floor I occasionally sandblast in there during warmer weather