Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to slam a 1954 bel air

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by socal9094life, Jun 24, 2009.

1. socal9094life

socal9094life

Hi i was wondering the easiest way to slam my 54. the axle is already sitting on top of the leaf springs. i was told you can put blocks in between the two to lower it more? i was told that its pretty expensive though to do the right way. any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    thanks
    dave

RussDee likes this.
  2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

you can buy or make blocks to lower it, but the best way would be to have some lower springs made for the back.

3. RICH FOX

RICH FOX

Go to your local auto zone or similar store and buy a lowering kit for less than $40.00 you'll get 1", 2" or 3" lowering blocks with new u-bolts. Another thing you can do is pull out 1 or 2 of the short springs to help soften the ride and lower it a little more, works great.

On the front end you can use a mustang crossmember kit, chassis-engineering front-end kit or if you're an econo-minded guy you can use a pinto or mustang complete front end, stock cross-member and all. If you call me i'll even give you an instruction sheet to install the front-end. I can show you some photos of some already done with stock cross-members, sets nice and looks good.

Rich 620-792-2836

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

the rear springs are
    a> too narrow for those and
    b> the u-bolts they come with are wrong for a stock rear-end.

get a piece of scrap 1 3/4 wide steel rect tube and longer flat u-bolts from a trailer shop. much lower and you hit the frame/ bump stop.

you want SLAMMED? spend bigger money, check alex gambino's website. or 50chevy.com

5. socal9094life

socal9094life

thanks everyone. so i guess the auto zone trick is out but will the mustang crossmember kit still be good for the front? im trying to go with the sled look. thanks again.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

fatman sells a dropped upright for the front if i aint mistaken, not cheap, but not a bank breaker... that'll lower it 2" in front... blocks out back will drop it as well...

but that said, you wont be "en el suelo" without a bag kit and a notch like alex at gambino customs makes... not an easy job, not for beginners and not cheap either

7. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

8. Old school way: take the leaves off, take apart the spring pack and re-assamble using every-other leaf. I did it and it works great. Use lowering blocks to fine tune. The ones from AutoZone are probably too big, you will have to get some for those old axles or make 'em.

9. RussDee

RussDee

Lift the car in the rear put jack stands to hold the a frame up lower the jack stands down now your differential on the leaf spring get the Jack and it's rubber mat put it under the pumpkin (aka) differential housing spray a little bit of oil on the u-bolts threads once a u bolts are Lucent and all 8 bolts and washers are off slowly lift up the differential remove the u-bolts pull put the lowering blocks 1" 2" 3" or 4" you desired in now lower the differential down put the new u-bolts torque down around 65 LBs this is where a lot of people forget the rubber stopper on the frame C- section cut him down to half so the ride won't be so bumpy and make sure you have some good new shocks Monroe those are the best.... Now lowering the front is a little different that's for another post.

10. Slopok

Slopok

I'm sure that after 9 years he's already figured it out!:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.