Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to set roller cam end play correctly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, so the I busted off the 327 in the Produce truck and had a weird noise. This was a flag so I drained the oil through a paint filter and found traces of metal. Not huge amounts but enough for me to pull the motor.

I tore it down and didn't find anything major, so I pulled my newest experiment, a Howards retrofit hydraulic roller cam.

I bought the good Milodon roller cam timing cover, the nylon button etc. They were suggesting .0015" end play. I pulled the cam and there is a shiny spot on the rear plug. I thought I had it pretty close, but apparently not.

On the race car, we just remove the front part of the cover and measure it on the spud, but this is a stamped steel cover.

Help a brother out.

Thanks

Root

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. aaggie

aaggie

Last time I researched this was a few years back but I found an Aluminum timing cover with an access plate that allowed you to shim a cam button to get the correct clearance and end play. I think it required a long water pump. My current 400 SBC is built on a Dart block that has the holes in the valley for stock Chevy roller cams and the thrust plate that holds the cam in place behind the cam gear.

4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

The end float on the cam has nothing to do with the cam hitting your rear cam plug, looks like it was installed in too far as the cam will never hit it if it is in the right place in the block

DND

mad mikey and saltracer219 like this.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

DND, you are correct. It is seated too deep. I did nt see that until late last night.

6. oj

oj

There are 2 different cam buttons, depending on the timing cover you use. One cover is plain, the other has that 'peace' symbol. Moroso #60460 is for the early 'ribbed' cover; #60461 is for late plain cover.

7. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

The cam plug was installed too deep?

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32533
    Interesting comment by a mAchINe shop that SBC cams are supposed to rub against the plug.

A buddy succeeded in knocking the cam tunnel plug out when he put a new timing chain in his girlfriend's Catalina with the engine in the car. Big hassle to fix.

8. oj

oj

Dunno about hydraulic rollers but lots of experience with mechanical roller cams, the lobes are ground to drive the cam to the front of the engine and timing gear stops against the cam button. I suspect hydr rollers are the same. If the cam was touching the rear freezeplug then you might have used a big block chevy cam button, they look the same and will fit but are longer.
    Edited: to be clear, the cam is not supposed to touch the rear plug.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yes, the cam plug was too deep. When I set the endplay, it was correct. I assumed it walked back, but in essence, it was touching from the word go. It made a nice pretty swirly pattern and caused me a lot of unnecessary work. Lesson learned.

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Root

That is why all that kind of stuff needs to be checked before it ever gets put together or turned over

Use a dial indicator from the valley to the back side of your cam gear to check the end float

DND

296ardun and mad mikey like this.