Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to set my valve gaps..1957 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Jan 27, 2013.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

So im down to the last mile here on my 51..But I know have to learn what seems to Me, the most difficult part...Removing the Valve cover and setting the gaps on the Valves...Any one knowof a linkor have some tips.. The engine is a 1957 235 inline 6....

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

buy a service manual. They are very handy.

3. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

First step is to determine if you have hydraulic or solid lifters, totally different procedures. You should be able to find out through the serial number stamped just aft of the distributor.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Also, check out the rocker arm tips for wear....I've seen them with some pretty deep pockets worn in them, and a normal wide feeler gauge will bridge the gap and you'll wonder why the valves are so loud when the gauge said that you had .006 clearance.

5. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

The motor was rebuilt 10 yrs ago..so I figure all are in good shape...

6. henry29

henry29

It probably still has the original rocker arms on it.

7. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Right now it runs and idles fine...But ticks and sounds like an old Tractor Motor....also How important is the vacuum advance...cause when I step on the gas while driving..it stalls out..??...Im wondering if its a vacuum issue...???

8. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Its annoying when people simply tell you to get a manual. If you do want a manual I think the old how to fix your chevy book is cheap and has all most all settings and how toos.
    You do need to find out if your engine is solid or hydraulic first. all three speeds should be solid lifters along with all truck engines, automatics are usually hydraulic but you need to check to be sure. engines and parts are commonly swapped around.

heres some links for you first one is the chevy online manual page. if you cant find your specific year the settings for most 235s are the
    same.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1949_53/index.htm

procedures from the stovebolt on setting valve lashhttp://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/235_valve_adjustment.html

In my experience the easiest way to set the valves is with the engine running. Turn your idle speed down real low and have a friend slide the feeler gauge in between the valve and rockers while you adjust the nut on the push rod. oil just drips out along the rocker shaft so you dont need to worry about oil going every where while the valve cover is off.

9. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Vacuum advance is very important your engine shouldnt be backfiring at all. These engines do tick adjusting the valves does minimize the ticking and usually once the engine warms up and the carb turns down the idle speed they quite up a little. add some dual exhaust and you wont hear your valves anymore!

10. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Thanks alot for the help....Chris

11. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I dont have a backfire..but a stall out when i put gas to it..(in gear)..Now ive only driven it to the end of the street and back...so it dosent..Really warm up...i have some water leakes when i fired it up..so im dealing with that..and didnt wanna drive to far from home....Hair line cracks on my Tank...

12. fnla39

fnla39

13. At first glance I thought the title of the thread was "How to set my valve CAPS" !!! :D