Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to ruin a perfectly good 54 Chevy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Nov 4, 2008.

1. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

"All of the suspension part that couldv'e been welded from both sides were done that way. We also cleaned the areas to be welded before we got busy on them." - aceuh
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not in these pics!

Sometimes it is easier to grind the paint of before attaching them,
    especially if you know its gonna need to be welded beforehand.

The setup looks fine its just those welds wouldn't pass the "hammer test".
    Unless you have some kinda insurance policy on your wife! ;)

TP

Oh yeah contrary to "zmans" suggestion, those flux-core welders make a stronger weld,
    supposedly more penetration than gas, and winds not a problem.
    The only bummer is the "chispas" but they usually come off easy.

2. roddinron

roddinron

Oh yeah contrary to "zmans" suggestion, those flux-core welders make a stronger weld,
    supposedly more penetration than gas, and winds not a problem.
    The only bummer is the "chispas" but they usually come off easy.[/quote]
    Yeah, they're not as pretty or clean, but they're strong.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Looks like all that little welder is melting is the wire.

\/not my weld but should look more like this.
    [​IMG]

4. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Hey man, I like where you're heading with this build, you seem motivated and are definitely hauling ass as far as getting stuff done.
    One thing though, please re-do those welds unless the missus is loaded and your name is on the will.
    I don't have a degree in welding, but maybe even if a guy like me can see it, then it might be an issue?

5. Great project! Keep us posted as you progress through the build, I for one will be watching since I want to do the same mods to my '54.~Mojo

6. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Flux Core welding is stronger than MIG welding with gas?

7. aceuh

aceuh

Issues are addressed. I'll keep you guys updated as we progress. Thanks to all for the concern and encouragement.

8. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Any updates? Pics?

9. cody repp

cody repp
    BANNED

that was my first thought, second was....wheres the shielding gas ???

10. Funny how everyone has turned into experts on welding lately. Haha. Internet is fun.

[​IMG]

Looks like a fun build. Looking forward to your updates, keep it up. Happy Holidays.

11. hotdamn

hotdamn

as long as he left an deacent gap in between the gusset and the top that will be fine. further more there is no real cost effective way to make it all one piece.

if the gusset like that was going to be a problem then there would be literally thousands of cars out there that would be screwed.

and as long as the welder is a 220 and he knows how to weld then that welder should be fine.

12. hotdamn

hotdamn

dont be afraid to take a rock wheel on a grinder and cut burly welds out and re do them.
    if you do that though after you cut the weld out take a ziz wheel and cut a line through the center, like all the way through, so you can make sure you get real penetration when you re weld it.

remember, welding on top of a weld does not constitute strenghth by any means...

also love the car!

I have a 54 with a fatmans ultra low too.
    one day I will get off my ass and post pics...

13. rodknocker

rodknocker

I second this statement.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  14. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

That looks like a 100 amp 110 volt Lincoln to me. Bad deal for serious chassis work.

15. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

You can get better welds with the small lincoln if you pre-heat to about 400 with a torch. I agree with everyone else that the welds look suspect. Dont clean them up for us, clean them up for your wife and piece of mind.

Nice build otherwise on the car. Not sure I like the M2 front end, however its your car.

16. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I do not mean to hammer you on the welds since that has already been done here but do NOT make a vertical weld from top down. It needs to be bottom up, period! There is no penetration in the weld when done from top down. The weld will crack down the center. I have been there and done it. If the welder can not do a weld from bottom up, they are not the right welder for you.

Looking at the date of this thread, my two cents is too late but keep it in mind for the future.

A piece of duct tape will serve the same purpose as a vertical weld from top down. :)

Neal

17. 48cad

48cad

Top down no good?? huh didn't know that.... Learn sumthin new everyday. Please explain why it's not good. Thanks

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The weld flows into where you are trying to get penetration. It looks good but is only on the surface. When you weld from bottom up you will see how the weld is burning in. It is tougher to weld from bottom up. I turn the heat down a little and step from side to side as I weld up.

Like I said, I found the value of welding from top down through personal experience. The weld failed very quickly.

Neal

19. 48cad

48cad

I guess that makes sense.. As long as you have enough juice (big enough machine with enough heat and penetration), I wouldn't of thought it would be that big of deal. But hey, I never really thought about it. Thanks for the insight.

20. sololobo

sololobo

Some folks are trimmin the x-mas tree, you are trimmin the firewall!! neat car, I dare not let my wife see this build for your honey!! Keep up the good work on the build. The title could be--How to be sure of gettin the booty, a build for my women!!~Sololobo~

21. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

the front end of that......er "thang" looks to be settin a bit LOW son ! !

22. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

Keep up the good work your wife's car looks great:)

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

Many of them are.

24. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Yup, and those welds scare the crap outa me.

Not trying to hurt your feelings, just trying to help.

25. So I say's to myself. I don't believe J'st Wandering. So I calls my welding buddy. Who happens to build drivelines and shortn / lengthn' truck frames, and I asks him...... And he says hell ya, you only go from bottom up. And J'st Wandering is right. See I larns somethin today..... It's a good day.:D
    And those welds scare me too......... That top of the crossmember picture. There is poor penetration on the x-member. :eek: It is thick and the frame is thin, and you can see the difference on it.
    And sometimes, I looks at my welds and I get mad at myself and am critical. Then sometimes, I looks at other peoples welds, and I says Slick, you got nothin to worry about..................:cool:

26. "Up welds" are stronger, but require more patience and practice. Deffo not as pretty as a "down" weld. Properly done, a good down weld with enough penetration is satisfactory for what you're doing.

I'm a bit old school, I prefer to use my Lincoln 225 cranked up to 135 amps with a 3/16 diameter 6013 or 6011 rod for work like that. I do try to avoid the 6011 rod for overhead work though, since it pops and sizzles excessively.

Bob

27. Just because a weld is not "pretty" it doesn't always mean that its not strong enough to do the job. When in doubt, give the welded piece a healthy whack or two with a 6 lb hammer. It shouldn't break off, crack or otherwise move.

Bob

28. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

your off and running, keep us posted.. looking good

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think he said the lincoln was only for tacking,and they used the gas miller for the finish work,

30. cavman

cavman

Good lookin' old Chevy. Other than the welding issue, the only question I have is, How many times did you trip over those bumper brackets?

cav