Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to rid rats/mice from field cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

2x this works great on snakes, bugs and rats. Anything that breaths lol.
    MrC

2. imperialman67

imperialman67
    from minnesota

Not to get off track from the OP but I couldn't let that statement slide.
    South Park and Family Guy can't hold a candle to the Simpsons!

3. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

Sorry, have to say it...

"Field car? What's a field car?" :D

4. Deuces

Deuces

Whatever! :rolleyes:

5. HopFrog

HopFrog
    from no where

I'm not sure of the bumpy ride theory :/

I once took a load of roofing tile up to Vandenburg AFB for a new single family housing tract they were building for officers and their families. Then I loaded 6 stacks of empty pallets onto my flatbed that were out in an empty lot . It is about 200+ miles back to our truck yard down the 101 along the ocean. When I got back to the yard, I was unstrapping the pallets and a field mouse ran out of one pallet along with a lizard.

I was wondering why they picked Santa Clarita as a jumping off point when I had just driven through Santa Barbara and Mendocino, 2 of the wealthiest communities in California. Could have been good grub there. Or why didn't they jump on one of the produce trucks or to the farmland along Hwy 126. I think both lizards and mice like fruits and veggies. I just hoped they liked their view of the country side. It's one of MY fav drives. :rolleyes:

They thanked me for the ride and scurried down hte back ramp and off into the hillside. There is a nice hill with rabbits and I know they have lizards on it too. The guys in the materials shop told me they have seen mice come up to them wanting some lunch during break. I do hope they've made some friends in their new home. If they don't like it in L.A. I can always take them back to military life.... hmmmm.... I wonder if they were AWOL :confused:

Attached Files:

6. SLCK64

SLCK64

"Field car? whats a field car?"

Anyone....? :rolleyes:

7. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Yup , I got a couple big black snakes in my tractor shed they get bigger every year and I never see any mice small price for mouse relief

8. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Park it in an enclosed garage. Park a running car inside. Close the door. Come back in 1/2 an hour.

Mice will be gassed.

9. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

After we load a car on trailer the first place we go is the car wash . Blow out inside, under hood, under car , trunk, door jams . It will chase out anything in there and you wont be draggin new dirt and spiders home .
    Best one was a opossum that jumped out from under hood and ran scaring the crap out of some black girls LMAO, they jumped back in there car

10. SLCK64

SLCK64

Oh dammit thats what I get for not reading ALL the pages....

11. Clik

Clik

A "Field Car" is a car manufactured by the Field Motor Company in Possum Snot West Virginia from 1926 through 1936. No not really. It's just a term for a car that's been sitting in a field. Field cars often look great on the outside but have rotted badly from sitting over moist dirt or grass rather than asphalt or concrete.

12. SLCK64

SLCK64

I was thinking more of this exchange....:D

Bob Falfa: Hey man, I'm sorry if I scared ya!

John Milner: You're gonna hafta do one hell of a lot more than that to scare me!

Bob Falfa: Hey I've been lookin' all over for ya man. Didn't nobody tell ya I was lookin' for ya?

John Milner: Man, I can't keep track of all you punks runnin' 'round here backwards.

Bob Falfa: Hey you're s'posed to be the fastest thing in the Valley man, but that can't be your car. It must be your mama's car! I'm sorta' embarrassed to be this close to ya!

John Milner: Yeah, well I'm not surprised, drivin' a field car!

Bob Falfa: Field car? What's a field car?

John Milner:A field car runs through the fields, droppin' cow shit all over the place to make the lettuce grow.

Bob Falfa: Ha ha! That's pretty good! Say, I like the color of your car
    there, man. What's that s'posed to be? Sort of a cross between piss yella' and puke green ain't it?

John Milner: Well, you call that a paint job, but it's pretty ugly. I bet you got to sneak up on the pumps just to get a little air in your tires!

Bob Falfa: Well at least I don't have to pull over to the side just to let a funeral go by man.

John Milner: Oh ho, funny!

13. Clik

Clik

Oh, that went right over my head. Duh! I thought maybe you were one of those city boys who had never seen grass before.

14. SLCK64

SLCK64

Lol nope, born and raised in Sycamore('82). We just hit 17,000 people.

15. Clik

Clik

Well, you know about field cars then, and probably what manure does to a pick-em-up truck.

16. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

a small container of formeldehyde powder will keep them away!

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

"Badgers? We ain't got no badgers.:D
    We don't need no badgers. I don't
    have to show you any stinking badgers!"

[​IMG]

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

19. davidh73750

davidh73750

I've learned from cars dragging back while on the trailer I hit the car wash first and usually vacuum then power wash that way you don't just have a muddy mess.

the big ones(rodents) will leave from the power wash. My buddy bought a 41 ford from a farm auction and some badger or huge rat was in it making all kinds of noise as he washed it out. His wife was so pissed he had to sell it right there. So I bought it and flipped it

I'm not a big fan of putting out d-con in a garage or in a car they go and hide when they die and stink it up. No thanks.

20. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

lot's of threads, the best way is to get the elecrtionic pest machines. They work and they don't do any damage/

21. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

FYI - They dont work. I own a pest control company and the only way your going to rid mice and rats is to use snap traps or rodent bait. Use the snap traps first. with rodent bait they can die in hard to reach areas and stink really bad. People please dont get duped by stupid internet myths - Mothballs, Lavender,Dryer sheets,Bug bombs,Fireworks,Carbon monoxide,Electronic plug in devices. LOL, I see people all the time "Go on the cheap" and there classic car or vehicle in the shop gets destroyed. If your going to spend $15.00 on mothballs and dryer sheets why dont you actually buy $15.00 worth of traps and bait that will actually kill them.

22. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

Statefarm add "I could have got a falcon"

http://youtu.be/FZMWMbRChuA

When I lived with my parents we had lots of mice and snakes living in my cars (as the child I didn't get garage parking). Found lots of mouse nests one in the headliner, that was nasty. Had a mouse run across my feet driving a post period mopar. That was a little unsettling. Then there was the 3' snake skin I found in my old meadowbrook with the empty mouse nests (ah the circle of life.) I'm just thankful I don't quite live in rattle country that's a few miles away from what I hear.

23. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

.. the best idea that I can think of for getting rid of field rodents.. Is, get the car/truck outta the field!! :)

24. Really long pick hammer... I moved into the first house we bought and was walking into the 3 car garage. There is a wall along the 1 car side... and a mouse walking along the top of the wall... upon this observation, I decided that the little bastard had to go... Looking around, I thought hhhmmm what do I have that - YES that pick hammer with the 10" long skinny pick end (had to have it when I saw it at the swap meet) - real sharp point... Oh boy!! here we go! I wonder if I can get him from here!!?? A swing and a HIT! Hot damn! :eek: here the little bastard was hanging off the end of that pick hammer without a clue of what hit him.... I love it when a plan comes together!!
    Now I use plactic "Clamp" traps or the V traps that have been around forever... Probably won't get another pick hammer shot like that again soon... :cool::cool:

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Geeze dude maybe you enjoyed that a little too much ?

26. OK, I admit, I did enjoy it... too much is relative, but after having cleaned up the destruction these little critters can cause enough times in the past a bit of vengence did motivate me... :D

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Standard gas&oil [​IMG]
    FYI - They dont work. I own a pest control company and the only way your going to rid mice and rats is to use snap traps or rodent bait. Use the snap traps first. with rodent bait they can die in hard to reach areas and stink really bad. People please dont get duped by stupid internet myths - Mothballs, Lavender,Dryer sheets,Bug bombs,Fireworks,Carbon monoxide,Electronic plug in devices. LOL, I see people all the time "Go on the cheap" and there classic car or vehicle in the shop gets destroyed. If your going to spend $15.00 on mothballs and dryer sheets why dont you actually buy $15.00 worth of traps and bait that will actually kill them.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Agreed! Mice have to eat, so they can't resist a baited trap. My personal preference is to do a little "maintenance" work occasionally, keeping snap traps cleaned and baited, rather than to worry about a pet or kid getting hold of poison.

But I gather that at least SOME of the respondents on this thread don't live in urban areas. If you live in the country or the sticks, I'm a big fan of allowing NON-venomous snakes to co-exist (though preferably kept OUTside!) I'd rather have snakes around than mice, any day.:) Mice'll chew up and crap up your interior and ruin wiring and brake and fuel hoses!:mad: Snakes don't chew on any of that.:p

Down in the country where I keep a '38 and a '75 O.T. and we camp there, we once had a big problem with mice getting into the vehicles and a nice shed I built there.:( When a 4-foot blacksnake took up residence in the vicinity, I welcomed him/her. And, soon, the mouse population died down. Hmmmm! :rolleyes:

28. Deuces

Deuces

But what if they crawl up inside a draft tube or inside your exhaust pipes????

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  29. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

glue traps with a peanut on it. we got 6 in one weekend using that.

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Nope. The plain, old-fashioned snap traps have a strong spring that snaps a bail down and kills the mouse. It can't CRAWL anywhere at all. You find it right where YOU set the trap, and dispose of the dead mouse wherever you prefer, presumably not in a draft tube or exhaust pipe.