Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to remove stainless part from wide five hubcap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dutch deuce, May 22, 2018.

1. Anyone has an idea how i can remove the stainless Mercury part from the steel section without damaging them 20180522_212419.jpg 20180522_212435.jpg 20180522_212405.jpg 20180513_185226.jpg .
    It is pressed on and i want to use it because it has the same diameter as my Clev-Weld artillery wheels and think i will look great.
    Hubcaps are 1939 Mercury and wheels will probably also go on a 1939 Mercury (before you ask: it doesn't have wide five axles anymore)

Thanks Hennie

2. ...good ?,...I'd also like to know...

3. saltracer219

saltracer219

I have not done this myself, but my neighbor has 36 Fords. The method he uses is to drill a small hole on the back side of the cap, just through the steel and not into the stainless, he then takes a rubber tip air nozzle and uses air pressure to take the stainless cap off. DISCLAIMER! I would try this on a junk cap before I did it on anything real good.

Hamtown Al, LOU WELLS and cactus1 like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

If you don't want the steel part of the cap anymore, I would take a die grinder wheel and cut a slit from the outside edge right up to the edge of the stainless. Maybe you could do this in a few places. Then maybe you could pull the newly cut piece of pie inward and pop the stainless off.

5. I don't want to use the steel part anymore and was thinking to grind inside to pie cut them just like you said, but i am afraid to grind through the stainless part also.
    The idea to blow them off with air pressure sounds good but i don't believe they will come off since they are pressed all way around the steel part.

6. ...so,...do those stainless caps press on over a rib all the way around the circumference?
    ,,,anybody got one with the cap removed?

7. Budget36

Budget36

I wonder if you could drill two holes across from each other about where the red stripe is, get some all-thread, couple of nuts and washers and squeeze it together. It might leave enough of a gap to get something in there and pop the cover off?

8. alchemy

alchemy

I was saying to grind from the farthest outside radius toward the stainless. Not behind the stainless. Stop when you get to the edge of the stainless.

9. 5window

5window

If they're pressed in, is there access from behind to press them out?

10. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

What's the back side of the merc cap look like? might be something to work with there, but I'd have to see it.

Mike

11. Using the drill and air pressure is the way to go.

12. The back is steel. It is a complete steel cap with the stainless part pressed on it.

13. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I'd go with the hole and air pressure then. Worst case you wind up with a more round cap. Best case it comes off cherry.

14. Might try it soon, thanks for the reply

Hennie

15. drill a hole in the back, fill with water and freeze it, mite come off that way.