Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to remove spray paint from car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shakedown St., Sep 24, 2017.

1. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

I found this '64 Thunderbird abandoned.

Someone thought it would be fun to spray paint over the original blue color with "Purple Gloss" Rustoleum.

I can still see parts of the blue that were never painted over, is there anyway I can strip the spray paint without damaging the original paint underneath?

He also spray painted the chrome black, the original owner I happen to know by the way did not do this. :p

IMG_1166.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. With the bumper and trim you can use paint stripper,you might try lacquer thinner if the purple is thin it should remove it,you can always use a heavy compound on a buffer and remove the offending color. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Easy off oven cleaner may work. I've used it on one shot and it worked well to remove pin striping with out damaging the paint.

slimcat7m3 and Big A like this.
  4. The automotive paint should be/could be a bit more solvent resistant than the rattle can paint. Start with something mild and work your way up in steps with "stronger" stuff. Naturally you want to test a small, area. If or when you find the Goldilocks solvent, you may find it's best to remove only 70 or 80% of the spray paint and take off the remainder with a power buffer plus hand rubbing. You may have to invent your own bag of tricks such as keep only your pad wet with solvent and don't let puddles of it sit long on the paint. This is not going to be a pleasant afternoon in the driveway.

onthefritz likes this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

I would guess the paint under the spray paint was not in the best shape to start with. Try enamel reducer. It might soften up the spray paint. Next lacquer thinner soaked rag, just wiping at first to see if it removes paint. Gradually leaving it on longer to see if it softens paint. If the car has original or older repaint you might get lucky and wipe it off. But remember that damn spray paint will stick like the best paint job in the world, in every scratch, crack, and nick in that old paint.

onthefritz likes this.
  6. What he ^^ said! The Easy-Off works pretty well if the spray paint is a softer enamel like lettering enamel is. Try a small inconspicuous area first. And wash and rinse the stripped area well to neutralize the lye in the oven cleaner. It can darken or stain lighter colored paint if left on too long.

Shakedown St. likes this.
  7. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Like a urethane reducer or that tractor stuff?

8. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

They also have that Goof Off made for spray paint, but heard it takes off other paint too.

Something to preserve what might be underneath, just a real thin coating he put on top. I will test your recommendation.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mineral spirits worth a try. Inconspicuous are first as others said.

Strange, that's got to be 50 bucks worth of spray paint, yet they paint the wipers right on the windshield.

10. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Somebody needs to be slapped.

11. oldolds

oldolds

Yes like that tractor stuff.

12. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

i wouldnt touch reducer on it...the longer it sits it will eat into the paint.
    i would try easy off oven cleaner (x2) has worked for me on lots of stuff like that.

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  13. Slopok

Slopok

If they didn't sand the original paint it may just blow off at the quarter car wash, boy did I just date myself!:eek:

flynbrian48 and 1964countrysedan like this.
  14. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

You don't even want to see the inside!

IMG_1197.JPG

15. Careful with the paint stripper on the chrome and trim, If the trim bits are anodsied aluminium you will end up with a horrible etched mess. I would try thinners,a rag and elbow grease on them.

16. southcross2631

southcross2631

This car was spray bombed when I got it. I used a green scrubby pad and no chemical. Was just careful and when I got the rattle can paint off I wet sanded the car with 600 and shot it DSCF0936.JPG with satin clear.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Try WD-40.........

Ray

18. Somebody thought it was funny to paint the outside??? What the hell- is that thing part of someone's Halloween costume?
    Pimp taste on rat budget.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Diamond in the back, sunroof top...

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wipers are stainless so you can try the oven cleaner on the arms. If not the coin-op wash, use a home pressure washer that's at least in the 24-2600 psi range, but it might take more than the purple if the gennie metallic was weak to begin with. Goofy sense of humor in that car.

21. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

Wish that was all, sprayed entire dashboard!

IMG_1227.JPG

Astro turf floors!

IMG_1229.JPG

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    patmanta and slv63 like this.
  22. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

This got me curious.

IMG_1230.JPG

tetanusshot likes this.
  23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

you must want that 'bird pretty bad to think about dealing with that mess.......:eek:

Ray

24. Slopok

Slopok

Thought Cheech & Chong were only interested in "Chebys"!:eek:

Nostrebor likes this.
  25. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

26. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

I usually never do this, but friend, your Bird is a turd. Either the goon who "painted" it "Lower Intestine Purple" was off his prozac, or his mom told him he is talented. Oh yeah, the blacked out chrome is so cool, and the gorilla fur upholstery is a show stopper.
    I respect your fondness for the T-Bird, hope you can rescue it from the dark side.
    Good luck.

Shakedown St. likes this.
  27. Great pimp cars are hard to find.... Restore it to its purple glory?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  28. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

oh geez... the freakin' dash too?! Start to love the color purple I sez.

mrspeedyt likes this.
  29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"I found this '64 Thunderbird abandoned."

I'd be more concerned that you picked up a hot pimpmobile. Did you get the title?

30. Once owned by U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D... :p