Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to remove pinstriping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Since the changes on here,I can't get anywhere on a search. My buddy wants to remove some of the striping on his car,what works?

2. shotrod

shotrod

As long as it isn't cleared over ez-off oven cleaner works

3. squeaky32

squeaky32

wetsanding with 1000grit, or eazyoff oven cleaner

4. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

If it has not been cleared over fire up the heat gun it will come right off.

5. I think the heat gun would work well with pin stripping tape but paint I don't think I would try it.

As others have said easy-off oven cleaner but make sure you rinse it off as soon as it's done the job,,it can dull the paint. HRP

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Like said above. I've also had success on older stripes hitting them with the buffer and some light compound. Of course this depends on how good your base layer is too. Usually easy off (yellow top can) dab/spray it on, 5-10 mins, scrub the line, wash off with soapy water. I like to hit it with the buffer after as it does sometimes dull the surface below. be VERY careful if you do this on single stage paints. My white truck looked like ass after it had easy off on it. Took a LOT of doctoring to get it back to less crappy.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Ez Off is pretty harsh, try different thinners on a non visibe part of the car to be sure it won't effect the base paint, then try them on the pinstripes.

8. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Sometimes a car wash is hard on 'em! O.K., lets put it this way, if you want to keep your stripes, don't go to a car wash!

9. On a clear coat surface.
    Do not spray easy off onto the stripes. Spray some into the cap and dip a Q tip into the easy off and apply it right on the stripe. let it set a full minute then use a non scratch plastic pad and rub the stripe, spray some water on it and rub more with a paper towel. Takes several applications but you can cover a lot of striping while waiting for it to work.
    This process will be the least abrasive and will remove the stripes clean.
    Make sure to liberally spray with water to remove any ex off from the surface.

Can work on most paints if done carefully and watching for any paint softening.

10. aircap

aircap

Used to know a guy who would take a brand new box of single edge razor blades who would scrape them off carefully without harming the color under the stripe. He would then hit the vehicle with a quick buff job, and it looked clean as a new penny.

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

12. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Once One Shot quit using lead in the paint it's not nearly as bullet proof as it used to be. Try thinner and a rag. That will usually take it off. You'll need to work it for a few minutes, but it will work.

13. rollie

rollie

Methyl Hydrate {fuel line anti-freeze} on a rag

14. Stingraystripes65

Stingraystripes65
    from NWI

I've used easy off oven cleaner a few times, it works great as long as you make sure to get all of the residue off. Then buff it, if it's been on there for a real long time you may have to wet sand it with 800-1000grit. Good luck!

No brains, no headaches -Ed Roth