Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to remove oxidation from inside aluminum intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OahuEli, Jun 13, 2015.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I just got a pretty good deal on a Ford FE 3 deuce intake. One issue it has is oxidation in the coolant crossover passage. I can remove stuff close to the ports but does anyone know of a way to remove the oxidation further inside the passage?

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Bead blasting always works.

3. aaggie

aaggie

Stiff bristle bottle brush.

4. I toss em in the sugar sand cabinet, leaves them silky smooth, make sure to rinse copiously afterwards

OahuEli likes this.

5. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Its junk send it to me. I'll throw it away for you...

OahuEli likes this.
  6. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

I've been out of touch for a bit..... how did the intake turn out? On the ones we do, a good coat of por 15 will seal it up for good after it's clean.

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I took a good look at it and I think I can get to most of it with a brush. Haven't tried yet, it was at a friends house for a little weld repair and remachining. Corrosion at two corners in the coolant passage. Hopefully I can get to it soon, been working alot.

8. Might try some duPont Alumi-Prep, if it's still available.

9. rfraze

rfraze

Someone mentioned Oxyclean for cleaning out aluminum fuel tanks. Wonder if that would work to soak manifold in?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  10. stimpy

stimpy

antifreeze is alkalinic try a very diluted acid solution ( HCL or muratic acid ) to break the deposits down with a alkaline wash , if you have mag wheel cleaner try that as it has a mild acid solution and its made for aluminum .

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought some golf clubs once that needed cleaning so I soaked them in Coca Cola overnight. Maybe you could seal it up and fill it with coke? If nothing else pour some of it over a couple ounces of Crown Royal. It cleans out internal oxidation also I hear.

OahuEli likes this.
  12. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

This stuff works good on aluminum.

ZEP-A-LUME
    TYPE: PROD.# 1063

13. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Several years ago, I was told electrical contact cleaner would clean aluminum corrosion on manifolds, but I suppose EPA regulations have taken the "good stuff" out of it by now.

Gary

14. My favorite is milkstone remover for use in dairy milking systems, it is phosphoric acid and soap. Be careful, as acids like to eat aluminum, but a rinse with baking soda will kill the acid and leave you smiling.

15. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

What's the mix ratio of baking soda and water to neutralize the phosphoric?

I just want to cleanup the exterior of my aluminum intake manifold and I don't have a sand blaster!