Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to preserve a well earned patina?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ritchj, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ritchj

ritchj

One of my toys has a pretty nice patina of years - scratches, use, a little surface rust, a 25 year old state inspection sticker, and the rest.

I don't want to restore it, but I also don't want to have it rust apart while I'm enjoying it.

What can I do to keep 45 years worth of use in place, without having it get worse, or having to disassemble and feel like I need to do a nut and bolt resto?

Yeah - it's a scooter and one of about 40 in the US. I like the rust on the carb door, especially when I pass the new ones like they're standing still.

[​IMG]

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

you can slow the rust down, you can't stop it without getting rid of it.

3. Nimrod

Nimrod

Just use it enjoy it and wash it now and then. As long as you don't abandon it in a field it'll outlive you. Thats my opinion.

-Jeff

4. Noland

Noland

if thats 45 years of use it looks like itll last another 1000 years if you just do what youve be doing

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Actually you don't have to do anything. If you like it, park it inside when you aren't driving it,, if you don't lay it down in the mud for months on end, it'll still be working well 60 or 70 years from now. (see my every-other-day driver)

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Dude, you're in California. You have no idea what rust really is. Midwesterners would consider what you're picturing as dust. Ride it, enjoy it, and don't worry about that "rust".

7. Lucky444

Lucky444

A good a waxing with a natural wax (like carnauba) will seal it and slow any growth down. Steel sculpture that has forced rust patina applied to it just gets a coat of wax now and then to keep it from getting orange and fuzzy. I've got a 1962 Honda motorcycle that still has it's original paint on it too. I never store it outdoors and wax it religiously and the rust hasn't grown any...even out here in Hawaii where everything rusts like crazy!

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have successfully saved some serious patina, much more pronounced than the "dust" I see on that shiny scooter. I scuff with a scotch pad to remove any glaze, surface rust and to open up the finish, then I give it a couple of coats of matte or satin gloss. rattle can style. Now they can sit out in the rain, get washed and will even dust off with a CA duster. Saves the look and gives it just a bit of sheen. Actually, enhances the patina

9. shoveled71

shoveled71

Looks great, what ya can see, show us more. Spike

10. Willy59

Willy59

"Dude, you're in California. You have no idea what rust really is. Midwesterners would consider what you're picturing as dust. Ride it, enjoy it, and don't worry about that "rust"."
    I agree, that looks like a 5 year old scooter here in Canada, ride it and enjoy it, have fun!

11. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I agree with Lucky, just wax it. Wax seals and preserves.

12. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I have sprayed the rattle can clear coat myself.... works pretty well.

13. ritchj

ritchj

Thanks for the interest - I have a thing for the odd and unrepairable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It was in Pennsylvania until last year - so I know how lucky I am.

14. troylee

troylee

I always see the rat rod guys spraying PLEDGE on their rides. lemon sent