Register now to get rid of these ads!

How To Post Images On A Thread

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ryan, May 12, 2014.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Going to give it a try with my roadster and my son and DIL in it on a driveby. BGII pic.JPG

lothiandon1940, Hombre and RICH B like this.
  2. Congratulations Dave, who says ya can't teach a old dog a new trick? :D HRP

3. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You did good, it worked:) Like that truck, is it a banger?:cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. chopndrop

chopndrop

Don't know why my pictures don't show up in the post. Every once in a while it works, but usually I get this generic thumb nail at bottom you have to click on to open. I'm sure it's operator error

Attached Files:

6. Lil32

Lil32

7. Lil32

Lil32

I sent mine from my Apple IMac

photos were taken on Pentax camera that were loaded onto disc
    and placed on computer
    I seem to have no problems

8. motorplex88

motorplex88

IMG_20171021_140655091_HDR.jpg Test

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Hombre and Lil32 like this.
  9. Just noticed that the photo you uploaded here appears to be full size right out of the camera... It's 15+ megapixels (5312 x 2988 pixels), which is way bigger than it needs to be for web display in this forum. The HAMB may allow you to upload these huge image files but some internet services can have trouble handling them or they can make some browsers act a bit wonky.

Try downsizing your images to something like a maximum of 1000 to 1200 pixels on the longest side while retaining the original aspect ratio. Your camera will probably allow you to shoot smaller image sizes (1600x1200 for example) as well, if you don't want to resize them after the fact.

If you're shooting for the purpose of making large prints, shoot at the largest size possible. But for web display your images can be a lot smaller. The full size 15+ megapixel image file you uploaded was 2.9 MB (or 2,900 KB). The image in the post directly above this is only 350 KB or so. You'll also find that the smaller images upload a lot faster and they display more quickly when someone opens this web page.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  10. chopndrop

chopndrop

Thanks for the reply. Id like to figure this out . Picture was taken on phone. It was on highest setting. I just selected the lowest (2048x1152) but doesn't look like it's working still. Could it have something to do with my Internet connection? I don't have good service out here in the garage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  11. chopndrop

chopndrop

Oddly enough, if I attach a screen shot, which is a png., works no problem. But a jpg, no worky.
    Screenshot_2018-10-11-22-56-17.png
    I don't get it. I don't claim to be technically advanced, but it shouldn't be this hard. I got to be doing something wrong

12. Well since the PNG file is only about 168 KB and it loaded up and displays properly, I'm going to say that the larger file sizes are at least a contributing factor to some of your problems. But your internet connection may not be helping matters either.

Are you trying to upload directly from your Samsung SM G870A phone or are you using a laptop or tablet with WIFI from your garage? Do you have a desktop machine in the house with your main internet connection that you can try uploading from? Is your internet service supplied by cable, fiber optic, landline DSL, satellite, etc.? o_O

13. chopndrop

chopndrop

Posting directly from my phone, that's all I have, no other devices. I tried several times last night in the house, both connected to our phone based WiFi as well as with WiFi turned off. Odd to me that the png files are no problem. As you can kinda see in my screenshot, the jpg will load but doesn't even give me the option of how to attach

Screenshot_2018-10-12-07-59-25.png

Attached Files:

14. It sounds like you maybe have a landline phone with DSL and a router for the WiFi connection. That sounds similar to my setup and the DSL works fine for my needs. Sufficient speed for uploads, downloads and general surfing, but I'm not uploading 15 MP images or downloading 4K movies or playing multi-player video games.

Are you using the HAMB app on your phone or can you try using a mobile browser of some kind and see if it works any better? Maybe try a different browser than your default or current choice.

https://www.lifewire.com/list-of-mobile-web-browsers-3486250\

Think maybe I'll try uploading one of your full size images with my desktop browser and see how it works.

15. Attempting upload...

No go. Just shows like your examples above with no option to choose to insert full size or thumbnail.

Attached Files:

16. chopndrop

chopndrop

Not using the hamb app, have been using chrome. I am trying out Firefox right now but it looks the same, will load jpg quickly but doesn't even give me options to insert as thumbnail or full image.

Attached Files:

17. chopndrop

chopndrop

Interesting. So problem with my jpgs? But screens shots from same phone work. Maybe I need to change a setting on my phone? I'm so not an IT guy

18. Now we'll try it with the 15 MP image downsized to about 1 MP (1339 x 753 pixels). The file size is about 150 KB compared to about 2,953 KB for the full size image.

BigImage02.jpg

That seems to work OK. That's not to say that there still isn't maybe something a bit flaky with the forum, your browser or your internet connection. But this stuff always seems to work better and faster when you're working with smaller file sizes.

19. chopndrop

chopndrop

The lowest setting on my phone is 2048x1152. And oddly enough, it appears the screenshot png that works is slightly larger than the smallest jpg that doesnt, 975kb vs 752kb. I don't know. I appreciate your help, and I am beginning to feel embarrassed I'm taking up so much space on this thread that apparently no one else has issues with. I did download your resized version of my large jpg and it worked. So, I guess the question is, how can I resize the pics on my phone? BigImage02.jpg

20. Don't worry about wasting space in the forums. That's why the thread is here. Had you been able to properly upload full size images with this camera phone previously?

You can have two different jpeg photos with the same pixel dimensions and they can have notably different file sizes. It mainly depends on the subject matter and detail of the photo and the amount of compression applied when saving the jpeg file.

I don't have a lot of hands-on experience with smart phone cameras. But it seems that the later models are surprisingly sophisticated and capable of turning out better than average photos. I wish I could scan thru your phone's camera menus to see just what you're working with. Do you see any picture settings that say VGA, HD or Email instead of pixel dimensions like 1600 x 1200?

I wonder if the phone might have some built-in software that allows for cropping and resizing images after the fact. Many of the mid-range, non-professional model cameras will do this in-camera to produce smaller, compressed images that are more suitable to send as email attachments. It would make sense that a phone/camera combo might also have this feature.

21. chopndrop

chopndrop

I don't see those any settings like that. There is however a separate program to edit photos. I have used it for cropping, but that's it. Looks like there is a way to resize images. 2018-10-15 16.13.54.jpg

And looks like that works. So I have to take pic in lowest setting, then go and resize it in studio? Kind of a pain, but maybe that's what its going to take. Good thing I don't post much. Thanks for taking the time.

22. 37_Ford

37_Ford
    from Illinois

23. 193257

24. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

Lil32 likes this.
  25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't know this thread existed until another member mentioned in another thread the problem he was having posting pictures. Fortunately, Claymart posted a link to this thread and there was the answer, along with comments by several other members who were having the same problems and for the most part, found another skill they could use. Looking at the different posts and the way the members become aware of how this stuff works is reassuring. I belong to an age group in which I'm sure technology pretty much passed us by before Dick Tracy's 2 way wrist radio came to be a reality. The idea that I can actually have a discussion via this forum, live with Skype or share pictures with someone on the other side of the world still blows my mind. Every minute I spend on the HAMB is an opportunity to learn from others and to share what little knowledge I have. My thanks to Ryan and to all who make this place possible, and especially those who, whether they know it or not, keep me from making costly mistakes.

Alan

26. One of the best aspects of this site is the effort made to keep a somewhat narrow view on a specialized area of the old car hobby. The majority of members here appreciate this effort and work to keep things on track as much as possible. This is not a "social media" site and they work to keep it from becoming one.

This intensity of purpose doesn't just apply to the hot rod related nature of the site. It seems to also bleed over into helping other members learn the features and workings of the site itself. The more you can contribute, the more you can take away. If you get stumped, just ask and you'll likely be swamped with help.

27. Devil69

Devil69
    from Glen Ellyn

Riff Raff v Psyclone 1 (2).jpg

this image is natively 2160 x 1007 pixels, but when I attempt to upload the "full image" it is changing the size and restricting it to have a maximum dimension of 1200 x 559. How do I upload it at the true resolution?

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't have any idea, but the dude on the left is the epitome of "cool":cool:

lothiandon1940 and Hombre like this.
  29. Devil69

Devil69
    from Glen Ellyn

Well I have a number of pictures like this that I would like to figure out how to post at their true full resolution. Nobody wants to click on a link to flickr or photobucket so I just want it posted directly on my thread post at full res.

alanp561 likes this.
  30. 173