Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to pick a starter.SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowongas, May 31, 2011.

1. lowongas

lowongas

Well my engine will be home shortly and I keep forgetting things I need to buy BUT I am stumped on the last few things I will need.Now the engine didnt come with a starter so I dont know which one to buy..I looked through a few sites and I know that that chevy used 2 different flex plates...( I have both here..) but when looking they dont ask about how many teeth are on the flex plate..will it matter..?

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Small flex plate had 153 teeth and used a starter with a long and short bolt straight across from each other. The larger 168 tooth flexplate used a starter with two long bolts that were staggered.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Next thing, make sure the flexplate matches the engine, neutral or externally balanced. You could have some harmonic issues later.

4. The flexplate diameter (tooth count) will not matter to the ENGINE, but some are for externally ballanced engines and some are for internally ballanced engines. How your engine is ballanced WILL make a difference as to which type of flexplate you use. (posted above) The diameter of the flexplate might make a difference as to which transmission you are using. Some bellhousings will not be large enough for the larger diameter.

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Cheap SB starter for the 153 flexplate (inline starter holes used) is the factory 94-95 LT1 starter, gear reduction and work much better than the older permanent magnet style. I have found them new for $75 and under.

6. brady1929

brady1929

Some good info here

7. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

drptop70ss is right on there... I bought new chrome LT1 starters for 99 bucks . And never had a problem with one. Fast starts and got the shine to boot!