Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration How to mount club plaque

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaddyJules, Apr 23, 2020.

1. DaddyJules

DaddyJules

I’m trying to mount a club plaque on my car it’s a 63 rambler, under the back plate but I don’t want to buy a mounting kit, how have you guys mounted it? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  2. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I believe it the full drag look is what you are aiming for? Perhaps having it swing from a lavender feather boa ?

Chili Phil, DaddyJules and Muttley like this.
  3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Not knowing what vehicle you want to mount this on I see is your profile shows a 63 rambler. Assuming you want it hanging below the bumper your choices could be either drill 2 holes in bumper and use hardware store S hooks and insert the hooks in bumper holes and in plate and with pliers close the eyes. or if you need it really low use a bit of small chain in there.
    If you do not want to drill holes in bumper you could take nuts off of 2 bumper bolts & cut and drill a piece of angle iron and bolt behind bumper and drill and insert S hooks or chain there. This way none of the mounting will show. This is what I did back in the 50's on my custom Ford convertible. BUT you need some slack so in you come out of a driveway the plate will not be too stiff (not enough swing or give) mounted and will bang straight down on the pavement cause then something has to give.
    Jimmie

catdad49, DaddyJules and KoolKat-57 like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

X2 what Jimmie said.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was this 'cruiser' (newby) that ground off a full inch from the bottom of a 'collectors' plaque, before hanging it on his '50 Ford shoebox...said it "added class"...

6. I assume from your opening post the license plate is centered on the bumper and has a bracket. If it's not possible to extend some chains or straps from the existing bracket bolts, then buy a license plate frame kit that comes with a fairly robust backer plate that goes behind the license plate. It should have oval punched holes that match the same location as the state-issued plate. The lower holes are therefore reinforced with the backing plate and ready for a bolt and nut to attach a pair of "S-hooks", as mentioned above", or a couple of chain links or whatever it takes..... the tougher the better because it has to last against all types of road hazards.
    But lay on your back and look around under there to see if there's any place that looks like a better alternative. Don't be afraid to make your own bracket dedicated to just the 'drag plate'. MacGyver that sumbutch.

DaddyJules likes this.
  7. When they are mounted by chain and actually drag they make more noise clanging around, people turn their heads and look, see your club's name on said plaque and they know you have arrived, which is the whole point of a club drag plaque.

catdad49, DaddyJules and TagMan like this.
  8. Chain is how they were mounted back in the day, you got to drill 2 small holes in the bottom of the bumper and attach with "S" hooks
    HRP

DaddyJules, catdad49 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  9. I remember hanging club plaque from chains, but I don't remember them being so low as to touch the pavement while driving (late 50's and early 60's).

Phil

Slopok, jim snow, i.rant and 3 others like this.
  10. Phil, I think that dragging the plaque on the ground is kind of a rat rod deal, it sure will mess them up. HRP

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

No one with any sense wanted them to drag on the ground! That said though, they would drag on occasion when pulling in a driveway or through a severe dip in the road.

Slopok, lothiandon1940, egads and 2 others like this.
  12. Exactly, people always trying to twist what was said for their own motive, the photos clearly demonstrate what I'm talking about and the owners of those cars were cruising in the 50's, way before any freaking rat rods came around.

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  13. Dragging this morning, I guess he changed his mind. HRP

14. silent rick

silent rick

tie him to the car and drag him

15. A generic plaque mounted to my tag on the old wooden box that was on my T... 20200424_145631.jpg

DaddyJules likes this.
  16. DaddyJules

DaddyJules

Yeah I changed it from drag to club because someone above corrected me and I didn’t want any confusion

17. DaddyJules

DaddyJules

Yes I changed it because of what Phil and Dick said and that I don’t want any confusion about having them drag I just want them to hang off the license plate

pprather likes this.
  18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If you cant figure how to mount a plate on your own, what kind of car club is this anyhow?

badshifter, A Boner, Muttley and 5 others like this.
  19. ^^ Almost like the Old HAMB. It's a valid question...

rob lee likes this.
  20. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

Hey,these guys keep saying RAT ROD

5window likes this.
  21. jim snow

jim snow

Remove the nut on the bumper bolt. Get a fender washer drill a hole on the edge that a s hook will fit thru. Then get some sash chain at the hardware store cut to the length you want it to hang. Drill two holes on your plaque and ad two more crimped s hooks. Job done. Snowman

22. To the OP: I've held my tongue while reading this thread, but I feel that I must offer up this thought. If someone feels compelled to mount something on their car that might occasionally drag on the pavement while at speed, be prepared for the inevitable litigation that will take place if it breaks loose and goes through the windshield of the car behind you!.:eek:

Muttley, X38, egads and 1 other person like this.
  23. Once again, I have a west coast bias. Put the plaque in the package tray.

24. 5window

5window

I don't know if it's a west coast bias: I'd mount it with S hooks, I'd never ask on the HAMB and, honestly, JMTC, I think the look is dumb. Especially on a late model like a '63. But, otherwise,that being said, it is your car, welcome to the HAMB and good luck. :)

jim snow likes this.
  25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Well this was the stupidest thing I’ve read today.

TagMan and swade41 like this.
  26. I still can't believe that some of you think you drive around with the plaque constantly dragging on the ground, it only drags/clangs when entering the lot or the driveway if you go through a dip. Like I said that's the whole idea, it clangs people turn and look, reads your clubs name on the plaque and they say hey "the Lost Angels just arrived"
    It's also a good representation that you actually drive your car, because of the ground off spots on the plaque, like credibility. Normally only hung that way on a custom only, a rod would not mount the plaque that way.

Lone Star Mopar and LOST ANGEL like this.
  27. Be safe, hang a mirror muff.

Chili Phil likes this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed: I don't remember any rigs around the Pacific North West having a club plaque hanging from the rear bumper. They were always mounted on the package tray or mounted on a matching bracket opposite of the license plate.

lothiandon1940 and Chili Phil like this.