Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to mount a 47 Flathead starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Jul 3, 2012.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Just sold a flathead V8 to a guy from Mn. But dog gone it, how does the starter mount on the bell housing. Worked on lots of 49 - 53 Flatheads, but not any earlier ones.

2. Starter attaches to the side of the oil pan and uses a small twisted clip with two holes to attach at the front to the oil pan rail.

You can see the starter provision on the pan in the photo.

Attached Files:

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The through bolts of the starter hold it on just like the later ones,in fact the starter is the same .

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The only actual trick to flathead starter R&R is simply realizing that the drive kinda hooks in behind the flywheel, so you need to tilt starter nose up and in to unhook it.
    Oops... also you need to know that once bolts are out it is going to disassemble itself into a heap of parts on the ground if you don't hold the baseplate on as you pull!

5. jack orchard

jack orchard

Bruce is right.
    i have had at least 5 of them fall out in pieces. It seems I never learn. I am sure i'm not the only one...jack

6. Anyone can confirm if when the starter is installed in the worng position is impossible turn the engine "by hand"?

My engine was tuning by hand before I install the starter, and now do not move anymore!

please you tips will help alot

7. If the bendix hangs up on the flywheel during install, it can jam things up.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If you tried to get it in by rolling the Bendix forward to try to get it in front of the flywheel instead of in its home behind...I have no idea, but I betcha it would jam everything very well.