Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to minimize fog in old delaminated glass?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, May 17, 2017.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Short of replacing old slightly fogged (delaminated?) glass, does anyone know any tricks to help clear it up any?
    The answer I would probably give if asked would be to replace it or live with it but maybe someone out there has a more creative idea that would actually be useful???

....comments?

2. squirrel

squirrel

it's the plastic that's between the two layers of glass....I don't think you can do anything about it. But it'll be interesting to see if anyone has some old tricks to try :)

Hnstray and low budget like this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Never heard of fixing that. Can it be done? Gary

low budget likes this.
  4. Larry T

Larry T

I passed up buying a 1967 Olds Vista-Cruiser because the roof glass was all delaminating. Always wondered if there was anyway to fix it. Subscribed.

low budget likes this.

5. stimpy

stimpy

I know not to use a iron , one f the guys tried it and the window cracked ( old safety laminate ) and the laminate was still opaque . I know what they make it its opaque till it hits the ovens but the process to make the glass was slow as it had to be heated slowly .

low budget likes this.
  6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I had wandered if some sort of heat gun process might help, or soaking that part of the glass in a tub of rubbing alcohol or some kind of solvent or other magic potion to soften the plastic while in it,then lightly press it back together after taking it out and let sit while pressed???.....also thought about taking a syringe and injecting that windshield chip repair stuff into the edge of the glass, if everything was just right to allow it and all the stars aligned not cracking it.:D

......all crazy thoughts I guess but thoughts none the less:rolleyes:

Anyone else want to try?:)

7. Slopok

Slopok

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to bend it!:eek: Bet you're wondering how I know huh???:rolleyes:

Bruce Fischer, 302GMC and low budget like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No way! Did you try that, too?!

Max Gearhead, Slopok and low budget like this.
  9. skipperman

skipperman

Well.... fix it ??? NO way ..... but ... I've done this on a few KUSTOMS I have owned with the "foggy" glass .....
    Went to a glass etcher ..... had him USE the "fog" in his etching on the glass and got SOOO MANY COMPLIMENTS on the " look " that I would do it AGAIN !!! Not a FIX but SURE LOOKS PURDY !!!

low budget likes this.
  10. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I wanted to bend some laminated safety glass for the corner windows in my '51 GMC. I put the glass in a kiln, heated it up and let gravity do it's thing. The glass bent into the form nicely but in the process the plastic laminate was incinerated. So far I haven't been able to figure out how to get new plastic in between the two halves of the glass. The pieces kinda look like giant glass potato chips. If I ever get back to that project I'll be sure to let you know how it worked out.

low budget and mgtstumpy like this.
  11. I had to replace the glass in my sedan,my area of vision kept getting smaller. HRP

low budget likes this.
  12. BJR

BJR

I wonder if the stuff they use for fixing rock chips would work?

low budget likes this.
  13. stimpy

stimpy

when I used to deliver stuff to the OLF glass plant in Naplate Il when they still made windsheilds ( now all they make is large plate float glass sheets ) I got to see it done , the glass is formed on 2 metal bucks in a kiln , then they let them cool , clean the snot out of them ( this was the chemicals I delivered for water treatment ) , then put the laminate on the lower then place the top piece on , trim it and put it in a lower temp oven to melt the laminate that had a chainmail conveyor belt running thru it , then they go thru a long ( and I mean LONG almost a 1/4 mile ...) cooling tunnel , I still have a section of the laminate it's about 3/16 thick , very flexible , gummy and opaque , the heating process makes it turn clear . over the years it yellowed a little bit .

302GMC, squirrel and low budget like this.
  14. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Thank you for that information. I have been trying to glue in a thin piece of plastic. The problem is that the glue causes visible distortions. I guess that I will try the lower heating method. The main problem that I see is that the controls on my kiln are iffy at best and I may end up burning up the laminate, again.

15. How to minimize fog in old de-laminat glass?

BFH,big friggin' hammer.:D HRP

KoolKat-57 and stimpy like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My thoughts too Danny, after the hammer, it's really clear :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. RDE

RDE

To minimize and maybe stop the fogging, you might paint the edge of the glass with clear fingernail polish. The only way I know to get rid of fogging caused by delamination of old safety glass is to take it to a good glass shop and replace it.

18. stimpy

stimpy

I do not know the temps they used , but I do remember the laminating ovens did not glow inside like the forming kilns did , and the heat coming from it wasn't as bad , kind of like sticking your face by a 350* oven , verse the kilns which your hair started to curl . but the thing was long as they said they have to reheat it slow and cool it slow otherwise the glass sheets will explode from the stress of expanding and contracting

19. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

When I bent the glass I let it cool naturally in the kiln with the lid closed. The only piece that I cracked broke when I got in a hurry to see if it had bent and opened the lid while it was still hot.