Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to measure for shortening a Ford closed drive torque tube

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 53OlderThanMe, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Hopefully this helps someone else that needs to shorten their torque tube and driveshaft. The following photos explain how to setup for the measurement and where to measure to and from. Important to remember is this measurement will be the desired torque tube length. The difference between this measurement and old torque tube lengths is how much the torque tube and driveshaft will each need to be shortened. There are many methods to perform the actual shortening so I won't get into that here. I will give a shout out to Rusty from Dirtys Speed Shop who taught me how to do this and shortened my torque tube and driveshaft.
    image.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg image4.jpg

patmanta, Corsa and racer32 like this.
  2. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

3. 1423450275701.jpg 1423450302668.jpg 1423450327178.jpg Last photos showing shortened drive line.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Corsa and bct like this.
  4. Nice easy step-by-step . . . thanks! I need to do this on a frankensteined Columbia for a 32, so this helps me validate my work! Take care.

B&S

5. midroad

midroad

The hamb comes through again. I've been asking everybody I know here in Australia how to measure this, but hardly anyone does it here.
    Thanks for a beautifully simple method!

6. Rusty

Rusty

Awesome! Glad I could help you out, looks good under there too