Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to make your flathead faster for 2 cents

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1pickup, Mar 27, 2017.

1. 1pickup

1pickup

I'm sure most have heard of this, but I thought I'd post pics for the younger guys. I've been rebuilding carbs this winter, so I dug this Fenton intake out of the shop & sent it out to take a bath. I knew the heat risers were blocked off, but I didn't know they had 1953 pennies in there! This is my second flathead intake with the front milled smooth. Any idea why this was done?

2. Ummm? Because they fit and they only cost a penny each??

tartar_sammich likes this.
  3. 1pickup

1pickup

Yeah, I was askin' about the front being modified, but thanks for playin'!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. badshifter

badshifter

Ive seen them milled to accommodate an idler pulley setup or shortened generator/pulley/fan setup. The stock generator doesn't clear the front carb.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Most of them broke from weak castings & misuse. Instead of repair they were smoothed off & an offset bracket used.

chop job likes this.
  6. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Aaron Fenton used to melt down aluminum pots and pans, aluminum doors, and whatever scrap aluminum he could find lying around to cast his flathead intakes and heads. Some of his intakes and heads were good, others not so much. 302GMC is right; the generator mount ended up being broken and was then machined smooth instead of trying to repair it. Ever wonder why you see so many Fenton intakes out there, and if you see a flathead intake for sale it is almost always a Fenton? The Fenton intakes were the least expensive flathead intakes that were available at the time and hundreds were sold, (maybe into the thousands) because of the price. They were the cheapest because they were made the cheapest.

7. cretin

cretin

Interesting, that's the first time I've seen the pennies in the intake. I normally see them brazed into the block.

3340, olscrounger and Jerrybigbird like this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

One of my blocks (I forget which one and where it is) has heat port holes that are too big for pennies. It takes nickels. Anybody else encounter a block that needed nickels?

9. Will new pennies melt I wonder?

10. They're mostly made of zinc now but the melting point is still like 700 some degrees.

cactus1 likes this.
  11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I put them in the block...heads up for luck.

Runnin shine likes this.
  12. I was dazzled by your thread title and the first set of photos which caused my reading comprehension to lock up.
    To err is human; to forgive is divine. I'll try harder to be a good neighbor.

1pickup likes this.
  13. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Rather than mill the stops off, the slot can be filled with a plate so the gen or alt can be tilted out of the way. A xler alt might fit straight up. Jack E/NJ

14. Slopok

Slopok

The pennies block the heat riser chamber and also alter the sound.