Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to make a banjo strong?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marq, Apr 9, 2006.

1. marq

marq

I have heard stories about making a banjo axle hold power without snapping after some welly has been given ,can someone perhaps do a tech or enlighten me on the subject please................Marq

2. swazzie

swazzie

I'm a tad curious also? bttt

3. The not so cheap way...............

http://www.hotrodworks.com/Modernaxles.htm

4. Moderbeat posted and then reposted his tech for using stronger Merc guts in a banjo. It came up a couple weeks back.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

You've already got the answers--are you a machinist or do you know a good one who will do you a favor? Otherwise there ain't no free lunch on this deal. The usual failure mode is the axle shafts. The other posts address that. The ring & pinion you're stuck with since nobody else ever built rearends where the pinion gear met the ring gear on centerline.

6. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

either i got these here or another site.......can't recall now....CRAP and it's only been a few weeks...

couldn't get the 4th pic from the article to shrink enough and still be readable...

Attached Files:

7. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Attached Files:

8. is in't that an oxy moron unless you spend rediculus amounts of money and event then there marginal

9. krooser

krooser

MANY manufacturers used non-hypoid rear drive axles in the early days....

10. nitro29

nitro29

Street Rodder did an Article in the 70's or 80's that used 28 spline axles these are far stronger than the axles in the article shown Roger

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I stand corrected (on that point) but there still isn't any real choice to upgrade the R&P part of a Ford Banjo. As a matter of interest though, the Lincolns used a hypoid version of the banjo not that it does any good-the gear selections were limited to 4.44 and maybe 4.30 and nothing interchanges.