Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to keep cars from getting stolen from Hotels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

I like the GPS alarm that rings your cell phone.

I have done some crazy to protect my ride at hotels. I even purchased on of those tire boots like the parking cops use. As much as I hate it I always try to park it in with all the other plain Jane cars and in a place where you cant reach it easily with a wrecker or rollback.

2. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

try one of these

Attached Files:

• 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      172 KB
      Views:
  3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

That's pretty funny about the guy banging the club on the ground while security walked past.

It says a lot.

I looked at that GPS system that's been discussed. If it works, it looks pretty neat.

Not cheap, but not outlandish at $100/yr plus $1 a text after the first year.

I like that you can see a route of the vehicle plotted out on a map so if the car is driven into underground parking or whatever you can follow the route to see where it is. At least that's what it appears to be for to me.

I like the idea of a gps dog collar on the rear axle, but I'm sure it'd break and it's still $10 a month.

I just wish there were some competition for a GPS tracking device, or should I say, I wish it was cheaper and I wish there was a main established company I could go with, as I'd hate to buy one and have it be useless in a year.

My latest plan is : kill switch, club type device, a CAR COVER , and GPS.

I tell you what, I think that car cover is the best thing since sliced bread. It's the next best thing to a cloaking device.

*maybe* a thief would hop out of a truck and un cover it to see if he likes my car enough to steal it, but it might be just enough to have him take something else.

4. Greezeball

Greezeball

Not being a smart ass but 99 % of people couldn't even shoot out one tire let alone hit the truck from anymore than 20 feet with a hand gun. I used to repo and had a wing ding start poppin' rounds at me and I ran his ass over! He spent six weeks in hospital and then was charged with assault on a peace officer and got sentenced to 3 years. In the province of Ontario we were deputized as bailifs under the sheriffs and were also armed. I quit when we were no longer aloud to carry. Oh and when it comes to shootin' someone stealing your shit in the middle of the night. If you had time to put your pants on and get your gun out of the closet you had time too call 911 first. Just tell the 911 operator you're in the process of arming yourself, the cops usually show up pretty quick then.

5. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ya that's a nice piece. Taurus .45 or 2.5" 410 rounds check out the Winchester PDX rounds for these just wicked.

Ooops this one uses the 3" x 410 rounds.

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

I dunno, man...I just did a 5000 mile roadtrip a couple of months ago in my Jet. I stayed in nothing but the cheapest motels for thirteen straight days. Most were in very, very sketchy areas. More often than not, my car was parked completely out of my sight, and it doesn't lock. :eek: If you are too scared to drive it and park it someplace, why even bother owning a car? If it's not enjoyable to you, then what's the point?
    It sounds to me as though the recent thefts have been somewhat thought out, and planned by the thieves. I don't think many of these are crimes of opportunity or convenience, but of specifically targeted vehicles in well cased locations. I'm not trying to make light of a serious situation, but we can't just stop driving our cars either. I think first and foremost the best deterrent is a car cover. Thieves are much less likely to bother with the unknown....after that, there are many decent ideas so far in here. I really believe that a strong deterrence strategy is a much preferred alternative to tracking, and eventual (hopefully) recovery.

7. I like the GPS idea as a second to watching the cars during the night, but the dog collar idea has flaws. We use these dog collars on our boats when we are training and though we can see them seven miles away from the safety boat, once they are out of a line of site view then we will lose them. If you don't know what I mean, line of site means no obstructions or land masses that could be in the way of a direct line of communication.

8. Jeff J

Jeff J

What we really need is to change the laws so there is no more slap your hands and get off law ! Time to take a stand and change the laws on the books. They do not work ! Time has proven the laws are to easy.When we have a mad dog it is put down ! We need to follow that pratice ! The rope needs to come back !!!

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

People have been stealing since the beginning of time. All the ropes and guns in the world are not going to stop anything from ever being stolen. They never have, and never will. History proves this. It is a moot point. Deter the theft by being proactive with your vehicle.

10. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

+1 on that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.