Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to keep cars from getting stolen from Hotels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daddio211

daddio211

Ha ha ha, great idea, except the car guys would pour their old beer on it!

The hotel where Chick's roadster was stolen at the GNRS is the nicest place in the area, and the area itself is pretty nice too. This hotel does patrol the parking lot regularly, but even if they see someone driving a car out, how do THEY know it doesn't belong to the driver?

2. daddio211

daddio211

Yeah, but we wanted to be able to drive it there AND home! LOL

3. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

I know in today's world where all the bad guys have trailers etc it may seem like an over simplification but.... During the second world war people in England with cars were required to pull the rotor when a car was parked to keep spy's and prisoners from using the car for nefarious deeds. I have done this from time to time. At the very least it will slow them down.

4. There was a '57 Chev convertible stolen here a few weeks ago. Behind a security gate, in a locked garage with a kill switch.. The MF's used a truck to push it down the street to a waiting trailer. The video was even on TV. Nothing is 100%. We have got to get smarter then the thieves. Lojack has an early warning system the sends you and lojack a message when the car is moved. Someone else posted (bumper boys) a like system, but you pay an annual fee. Regardless of or cars not being high tech, our protection of them needs to be. Ron Francis has a new remote battery switch too. Nothing will stop a asshole from stealing your car, but what can YOU do to make it tuff and get it back? I don't go to runs or shows with groups of people, so guard duty wont work. Each of us needs to protect our own cars first.

5. I've always liked this idea....but then you lose the car.

Attached Files:

6. Paul Y

Paul Y

Having had people decide that they were a more deserving owner than I of my pride and joy, I fitted a really simple device that has meant that my car has been returned both times it has been taken within 10 minutes of it being taken.

Without going into fine detail it consists of a device that cuts power to the coil after 60 seconds if the hidden micro switch is not pushed to reset the system.

It activates each time the door is opened, automatically.

To prevent the car being rear ended if it were to suddenly stop the device flashes the brake lights at 5 second intervals and puts them on continuously after 60 seconds. The horn also starts to sound after 30 seconds which acts as a good reminder if you forget to push the button.

Why 60 seconds? To give you enough time to call the law and tell them what has happened and give the thief enough time to get far enough away from you he cant come back and force you to turn the device off! First time I got car jacked at a set of lights, thief drove off, waited a few minutes and then just followed the sound of the horn, 10 minutes later I was back in my car and driving home.

You would need to have this in conjunction with some other deterrent, like Shrek said it is all about layers....

P.

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That, my friend is how much sentimental & value of your car. In my case ('32 roadster all steel, full fendered since 1962).
    I live in OREGUN', where we respect life & property.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Like Daddio said the hotel where Chick had his roadster stolent his past weekend is a top notch place, Sheraton Suites. Even had a security guard lurking around BUT to tell ya the truth he was too busy kicking folks outta the bar and lobby area to watch the cars in the parking lot I guess.

The Sheraton is the only one that I can think of that I sleep at during a car event that doesn't have the whole portoco area filled up with hot rods and customs. There werent that many hot rods and customs in the parking lot over night last weeken. They really could have all fit on both sides of the curb. Must be a fire marshal thing that the city of Pomona cracks down on.

It's funny, I'm more worried about the drunken assholes in the parking lot at night during events like the HAMB Drags then I am about my car getting stolen. :rolleyes: If I find out who the drunk asshole was that thru the chair that hit my passenger door and took two chips outta my paint I'm going to kick your tough guy ass with your car club pals watching. :mad:

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Of course that is different if you are in Texas, shoot to kill.
    I'm surprised at the vehicle thefts that happen there, they have some brave (or stupid thieves).

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats tellin' em Denise!!

11. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

it does in Texas....i deal with this every nite as my company repossesses cars

12. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

Guys the bottom line is if a low life thief wants your car they are gonna get it. All we can do is make it harder on them and hope they go to a easier target. Get GOOD insurance and read your policy. I hope they find your car in one piece. Thiefs suck.

13. 61falcon

61falcon

I do my best to disable my car by removing ignition items and unplugging connectors. if they do get it, they are gonna need to push, pull or tow it. wouldn't it be funny to go to a rod run and see a hotel parking lot full of 3 wheeled rods. and house keeping would love to find a wheel and tire in every room.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Somebody chipped your paint? If I find out who did that, I'll certainly earn my cookies!

15. Lets see them get it up on one.

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

:D:D

hey it could work

I've got one in my shop that is tucked back in the corner with so much shit around it and under it with all 4 wheels off of it and up on jackstands..

If they get in there with the intent to take it..the dogs, the shot gun and Me are going to have a good 'ol time with that sorry fucker:eek::D
    hell just for entertainment, Ill let the Boxer in,lock and shut the door, go back in the house and start the coffee ..hahahhaha

Wow Denise..thats total Bullshit about your paint..fuckin clowns

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Maybe buy and carry a wheel boot, like some cities use? Maybe two?

18. nachodog

nachodog
    from socal

That's funny!

19. James Curl

James Curl

If you have ever watched a re-po man work with the new pick up re-po trucks you would be surprised just how quick they can have the car and be gone. I watched one re-possess a new BMW from a HEB grocery store lot, he never left the cab of the truck. Slickest thing I have ever seen, not like the TV show, probably less than a minute and he was gone back on the highway with the car. Not saying that a re-po man would steal your car but a thief could always get his hands on one if he desired to.

20. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

They sell car boots like the kind the parking authority use but they are expensive.

I was thinking somebody could rig up an alarm system that played kids music extremely loud, that way the thieves would run away in embarrassment and it wouldn't be ignored like a car alarm would. :p

Seriously, if I heard Barney the dinosaur blaring out in the parking lot at 3 am I would go see what the hell was going on. :D

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

James ..you are so right.
    I have a Re-Po Business next to my Company..those guys make taking cars look like childs play..

One guy told me he can snatch a car in 20 seconds flat..never get outa the truck..
    He takes it down the street a ways before he stops to safety chain it for the long haul.

3/4 ton Chvy pick up 4x4 with a electric over hyd. snacher rig in the bed

Seems to me the theifs can buy the same equipment.

Its all about many many different ways to slow them down all wrapped up in your security system,Multiple layers of security
    so many..that it becomes a daily PITA for you as the rightful owner of the car
    But if you want to keep it..its the price to pay i guess

I think im going to walk over there one day and ask his best guy what slows him down the most when re-po-ing a car..

22. banditomerc

banditomerc

Anyone who parks there multi$$$ car unattended out of the owners sight,is nuts! IMO.

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

not that i have anything worth stealing but i can remember going to goodguys or an nsra event and most hotels had a staff of security gaurds ....like 2-3 gaurds per parking lot...i think they still have gaurds at bonneville at some of the hotels....what happened to this practice?.....i mean some of these hotels are still carging in excess of 100 bucks a room per night right?

24. ironpile

ironpile

Sleep in it with Mr.Smith and Mr. Wesson.

25. daddio211

daddio211

I don't swing that way, but Ms. Ruger snuggles nicely! :)

26. spot

spot
    from usa

When I take my stuff to areas that are suspect or out of my view I have the steering wheel with me. Fuel shut off switch moved to off, master cut-off to off with key removed and I try to park an in accessible spot for a wrecker or rollback. If I trailer it the tow-rig is chained to the trailer with a square link chain, car is chained to trailer with square link chain and usually i'm with several other guys that towed as well and we sorta circle the wagons to make it harder to just steal the whole outfit.

27. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Don't stay in a Hotel. Bring your own with you.

Attached Files:

28. dirty4

dirty4

My buddy is 6'5" 270 lbs he says I will knock them out..break all their teeth out with a pair of pliers....then wad up a roll of aluminum foil and shove it in their mouths...then duct tape their mouths closed...then slapem awake...and watchem squirm!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  29. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

Battery powered electric fence energizer.

30. I'm dreaming of a day when my theft deterrent system consists of an M14 with a Leatherwood scope and a full load of 150 grain silvertips....how's that for old-school! The bastards......ventilate a few and maybe the next dickhead will reconsider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.