Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to keep American Shifter arm from loosening up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Jun 5, 2013.

1. I thought I had it locked down but it just loosens right up again.

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Are you talking about the arm on the transmission? If so, I use a punch to stake around the hole in the arm so it fits tightly on the shaft, use two washers behind the nut and use blue locktight on the nut. If the shifter has stops, set them so the shifter stops against it instead of the stop in the transmission.

3. Egg shape lock not ?
    Slightly foul the threads ?

4. Dapostman

Dapostman

More information would be helpful. What is loose exactly? It could easily be a bad/striped thread, It tightens, then slips under stress.

5. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

It has been my experience that their parts are manufactured from a softer alloy of steel so they can be stamped easier. The arm may be loosening because the steel will not hold shape.

6. It's the shift handle that I mean. The "lock nut" doesn't lock.

7. do you mean where the Ball mounts ?
    or where the Shifter Handle mounts.?

Just my 3.5 cents

8. use Locktite on it that will Stop it from
    losening up
    or drill a hole in the Bolt & use Tie wire & locktite

Just my 3.5 cents

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

If your talking about the jam nut that tightens the shifter knob on you could use either thread sealer OR a nylock nut instead of the stock nut. should be 3/8 course thread.

I have an American Shifter, and I'd never buy another one. Same deal, had to thread lock everything to keep it together. That and the park lock hasn't worked from day one.

10. tnich123

tnich123

Junk it and get a Lokar. Its the soft aluminum big nut at the bottom of the shifter causing the problem. Lokar uses a brass nut which holds tight. Just went thru the same problem . Thank goodness I won the shifter handle because now its hanging from the work bench.

11. I can't thread the 23" arm I have down tight because it would be at the wrong angle, so I have to back it off a little. This leaves it very wobbly because the threads are such a loose fit.Then when I thread the lock nut down it doesn't lock it tight. Would epoxy set it for good if I put it on the threads and under the lock nut?

12. Buy a Lokar ---Problem solved
    American shifter = More Hoffman JUNK

13. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Buy some Loktite bearing and stud mount. It will take up the gap and hold like a sombitch.

14. Out of money.Gotta use what I've got.

15. Thanks! I'll try that.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All one need do is Google: Hoffman Group, and nobody would ever purchase any products from this company, ever again. Why is this so hard?

Stop supporting this evil company.

17. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Exactly ! I won't even deal with rod shops anymore who sell Hoffman's shit !
    Unfortunately, there are people who are not clued onto Google and only find out about how poor the quality is after they have bought and tried to get the rubbish to work...or get a refund !
    I hate these pricks with a passion and have even stood outside one of their trade stands at an event and warned people not to buy the shit !

18. Buy an actual American shifter and not one made in like China? ...

But since you have it and a second nut apparently won't do it I'd try some Lock-Tite first. If you can replace the stud and bolts, that's also worth looking at.

The last car with an auto trans I planned to set up a floor shift in I had a mid-80s Camaro cable and attachments and a '64 GM floor shifter and figured to modify the latter if it wouldn't reach all the gears in a 700R4. Cost? After I scrapped the '64 carcass and sold some parts out of it I was way ahead even after buying the cable out of a you-pick yard for like $10.

19. We just had a "Hoffman" made in China tilt steering columm that was brand new fall to pieces internally here in New Zealand, luckly didn't cause a fatality. They are junk with plastic internals. Ive heard the shifters are good but the rest is shit, how the hell can a company feel good knowing they are sending this death trap crap out on the roads.

20. cutitup

cutitup

ill second that everything they sell is junk