Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

this is almost what I did... but since my radio was a non working unit, I stripped the guts and put all of the above except the amp inside the old unit. Then Put all of it back into the dash. Looks classy, and works off the original stereo knob!

2. Ha ha...I forgot I started this thread!!! You can use the ipod cable I posted and plug it directly into your amplifier, just use the ipod volume. Its that easy. I dunno about any of the other stuff mentioned on here as I didn't really look thru all of the pages. When you get electronic geeks debating about stuff, I tend to glaze over. Plenty of ways to do the same thing on this one, just choose the one that fits your needs!!

3. kratebike

kratebike

Quick Question:
    I have a 1963 Delco AM Radio. I also have Realistic FM Converter in my glove box to play FM stations. Where would the RediRad fit into this set up. The Converter plugs directly into the antenna jack, and I tune the radio to somewhere around 1200 AM. I plant to use an MP3 player.

Thanks in advance.

4. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

That's why I dropped a post ... given how well it's done, you did a good ting with this post, negativeMatt!! Thumbs up!

5. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

kratebike, the RediRad also plugs into the radio's antenna jack... basically you piggy-back the RediRad and the FM converter... you can have both!!

Enjoy your tunes -or Polish Talk Radio- on your terms! ;)

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I didn't read the whole post so forgive me for what I might restate. I recently did a similar thing with my old convertible. In my case I was using a garmin that also played music. The NEAT things with the Garmin is that one it will automatically mute the tunes to give you traffic directions and it also puts out a FM signal so you could play the Garmin tunes over the radio IF you have a FM radio - which in my case I did not. My AM radio stinks so I was content to just hardwire into the existing speaker.

So what I did was go to Ebay and buy a CHEAPO amp - it was like 8 or 9 bucks (shippign was more) granted it is made in china - and I normally avoid that stuff, but I tried this out as an experiment so for 20 bucks I figured I couldn't go wrong.

If you search on these amps even the 8 dollar special I got - they have the 5 volt USB charger connection & the MP3 input (Ipod, Garmin, etc). Granted this ain't no high end system as some of the others have described, but if you just want some tunes this is a decent way to go. No high tech knowledge needed - add 12 volts - a cable or two and you're done. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure you get one rated for 10-14volts.

7. Yup, good post indeed. For radios that are not working, it doesn't get any easier than a hidden amp and feed your MP3 player right in thru the RCA inputs.

I like that rediscover radio guys stuff too if you already have a factory working unit. Nothing looks uglier in an old dashboard than a new modern head unit.

8. Here's how our project ended up in my Valiant. maccustom here on the HAMB does moldings and made us this slick piece. My dash was already cut so I was just interested in making the hole go away without welding in a new plate, etc...

Amp is hidden and speakers are hidden in their normal spots.

[​IMG]

9. ;) What's an ipod?:D

10. Glen

Glen

No shit....Matt you should order a bunch of those connectors, make a packaged deal, mark it up $50.00 and put it in the classifieds for non-techo guys like me.

11. I can do that for ya... and I'll give ya a 15% HAMB discount. :D

12. richie rebel

richie rebel

question,will the redirad work on am/fm,or just the am,can it be used on the fm side,i have am/fm/cd in my car thanks richie........

13. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

Nothing more traditional or period correct than an Ipod in your '64 or earlier car...I still don't get the difference in this and putting billet wheels on your car...neither is traditional or period correct. I personally don't care what ya do with your ride, it just seems that some of the posts (and posters) get fried, reamed, lambasted, blasted, ridiculed, and run out of town if something isn't "traditional" or period correct, yet there are 12 pages about an Ipod.

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

For over 25 years I haven't had a radio in any of my cars really!!but This Ipod thing is wicked cool. How about a update for a Do it you selfer, we all know things change daily on tech stuff. So I need a Amp ,Ipod ,Speakers and What kind of cords or wires?? Were can I buy the wire setup or can I can make it,I would like to make it if I could. Thanks

15. richie rebel

richie rebel

16. Tacson

Tacson

17. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Here's the deal... when you put MOST billet stuff on its for looks... this is for functionality. Notice most of the thread is still talking about keeping your rod looking traditional. Hide the modern stuff... keep your stock stereo... make it function correct.

You can't hide billet wheels, you can't hide a cut up dash (very well), but you can hide a cord.

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This post has me in a quandry. My brother is supposed to be helping me wire an auxiliary jack and a toggle switch into the amp of my old tube radio (that way, I should be able to toggle between an accessory of my choice and my iPhod), per these instructions:

However, the idea of an integral charging station would be great, since this is also my telephone, after all. I still wanna keep the radio, though.

-Dave

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I just picked up a 5th generation iPod Nano the other day and I'm really impressed with the features it offers. I think this particular iPod is perfect for a hotrod that is using a set up like this thread is about.

Not only does it store up to 8g of mp3s, it has an FM tuner with external antenna (uses the aux cable ot earphones at the ant.) and has a feature called "live pause" which lets you pause live radio and restart it without missing anything. You can set favorite channels also. The reception is really good.

Another cool extra is the video camera. Should be fun for recording cruising and road trips. Here's a quick little video I took with it the other day. Keep in mind this is at sunrise with a heavy overcast....on a nice day it would look much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGKdZNpIqYc

I picked mine up for $90.00 plus shipping on eBay (barely used) which to me is a steal for what all it offers.

20. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

I pod. Death of the music industry.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fixed.

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

Ryan, that's a good point.

23. Zartman456

Zartman456

What size amps are you guys using? I want to drive 2 6x9's and possibly a set of 4"

24. The one I use is a 300W amp with my MP3 player. It's a 4 channel and feeds 75W per channel in my Valiant and get's the job done. I use 2 6x9's and 2 4" rounds. :cool:

25. flat34pu

flat34pu

Another cool extra is the video camera. Should be fun for recording cruising and road trips. Here's a quick little video I took with it the other day. Keep in mind this is at sunrise with a heavy overcast....on a nice day it would look much better.

Thanks 64cyclone, its now on my build list of items needed.

26. I have this loud whinning noise whenever I start my engine. Someone said it's the blower belt. Will an Ipod help this?

27. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

No, you just need louder speakers.:cool:;)

28. BEAR

BEAR

thank you for this