Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. lowmaster

lowmaster

I just hooked up my amp in my 48 Chevy pu and used the headphone jack. My MP3 is a Zen and has FM tuning also. Works great just no recharging of the MP3. Great tech article.

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Philips GoGear 2GB MP3 player like this. It uses a different power/data cord than the iPod, but just like the one for my Kodak Easyshare digi camera. Does anyone make a cable for that type of connector?

As is usually the case, I ask a question and find the answer myself after further reflection. At least I think I have, tell me if I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

That is a U8 connector?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Perhaps if you get the one with wide white walls? Exactly what I was thinking. It's remarkable how some new tech is adapted with enthusiasm around here, and other stuff gets pooped on for not being traditional. Go figure. Gary

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

JMO but can't get more traditional than music! What's the big deal as I see it all your gonna see is a knob that can be hidden or "traditionalized". I think it's great how man evoles and figues out ways to make things happen.................. like music in an oldie.... in a new way....

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dont get me wrong, it is a good idea and I might solder one up myself. I'm just surprised it isn't disguised as an 8 track, or have a vintage Motorola radio face plate. Like hiding your IFS under fenders, eh? Gary

6. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I just wired Ipod sounds in the missis 58 Studebaker. I went to the local thrift shop and got a pair of computer speakers for $2.99 Most powered computer monitors are 12 volts just throw the wall wart away wire to power in your car and plug in the Ipod/Mp3 player

7. That's a great idea. I've been looking at electronic kits to add on to or complete rebuild my stock AM radio with an input and amplifier to plug in whatever, MP3, portable CD, ipod, etc.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/

This looks like a decent amp:
    http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=UAM2

8. I only play old music..... :D

9. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

That's what I'm saying.......Where didja put yer speakerz? I have a '49.

10. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Damn! This is way more simple than what I did! I took it a step further, I got mad that they only made those ipod converters for FM so I decided to make my own which converts the AM station on the radio to one that is put out by the box, and then the antenna picks up the signal. I used a crystal diode and two weeks of engineering but it works the same a a FM one that you put into the cig. lighter and that is the only wire running to the dash. I never even thought of using the antenna hook-up directly dammit! that would have saved me 70 hours of work! Oh well... :)

11. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Thats how we do it in the boogie van a amp under the seat controlled by the Ipod and a speaker under the dash. I just charge the Ipod up at the hotel or home between trips. One charge lasted on our trip from jacksonville Florida to Houston texas

12. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

13. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

is that not a mini-usb cable?

14. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I just did this last night. important notes...

#1 A rockford fosgate bass amplifier...probably not the best first choice, but it will work.

#2. I got the gear from Target for CHEAP. the car had nothing to start with, and Wifey is simply trying to drown out the squeaks and rattles, so a set of 24.99 6x9's and we are oficially "rockin in the free world."

#3. it ain't happenin with an Iphone.

#4. screws are sharp and do not like You back.

#5. I opted for the "el cheapo" cables from the headphone jack, simply because I couldn't find the other cables/knob last night. (I should mention I started looking for them around 7 p.m.) The sound quality is...well, it's not terrible, but it could be better. This is also loosly based on the fact that I am using an amp designed to push 2 15's to push 2 crappy 6x9's. (suffice to say that took a bit of "fine tuning" to make it sound like a car stereo and not like a bullhorn.) I noticed that if You wanted the amp farther away from You than under the dash, They make a 25 foot version of the y adapter...They just call it something other than a y adapter. it's in the home stereo section.

#6. it works. Party On, Wayne.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  15. Abomination

Abomination

The iPhone's dock connector pinouts changed. :(

~Jason

16. Abomination

Abomination

I've dealt with them before, but it was to buy like 100 - 1000 units of whatever I was buying. I thought places like that were just areas for businesses to buy and sell their stuff, and they didn't sell onseie-twosie.

~Jason

17. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

I have no idea i have a friend in china so when i need somptihng i ask him..

18. nexxussian

nexxussian

Aint that the truth.:(

19. I personally just use the Fm transmitter i bought for my Ipod and dial in my station no wires no nada just sounds. It will charge with a liter hookup if you want but does not have to. It may not have the sound of a direct connection but it is good for me and the stuff I listen to which is not all that well recorded anyway. You just need a Fm radio and the transmitter cost me $30.00 thats all.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Head phones aren't legal while driving in many states. The one I live in is one of them.

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

I think he meant he was using a patch cable with a heaphone jack on it.

Yeah, oficer Fife wouldn't be amused here either if he saw you bombin' down the ave with yer headphones on. :rolleyes:

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

My old truck is so loud when driving, the volume would have to be jacked pretty high to even hear anything - and then of course when I would roll to a stop, everyone would be looking at me like an annoying idiot. Probably need to add some decent sound proofing to my list first. But, then of course before that is all the rust repair to the floor, etc. Ah, hell with it, not worth it. Maybe when I get a better truck on the road. Of course by then ipods will probably be so passe I'll have to skip to the next big thing.

23. krooser

krooser

WTF's an iPod? And will it play my 78's?

24. Sean

Sean

It's the traditional MP3 player. It's keep me on my second tour at Apple for the last 8 years.

25. cretin

cretin

I have the same problem with how loud my car is. I installed my Ipod anyway and don't care if the guy next to me thinks I'm an annoying idiot. One day I'll have the proper sound proofing and rust repair.

26. novadude

novadude

For you guys doing the MP3-direct-to-amp thing...

Is there anyway to have a front / rear fader with this set-up?

27. I just got one of the Redi Radios where it taps into your AM radio antenna. It works pretty good. It uses one station if I remember right is channel 1010 AM.

The only nuisance is when the volume gets too low, like when Johnny Cash throws in a slow ballad, the device switches back and forth to bad reception Mexican station that happens to be on 1010 AM. You just have turn up the volume on the MP3 player is all. And once the your AM radio warms up you have adjust the knob to get better reception.

28. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

29. Herdez

Herdez

I like this one.

I guess its time to make the switch.
    Just need an Ipod now! Anybody Walkman?? LOL:D

30. rebelrat

rebelrat

Great post, Keep your head down and return safe and THANK YOU .