Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to install Bear Claw door latches in a Shoebox Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by '49 Ford Coupe, Oct 18, 2015.

1. VictorPaul and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I did it to my shoebox a few years back - pics are in my build thread (link below) . I used the large bear claws though . Great improvement on a 49 , isn't it ?!?!

4. Yes, thanks.. they just go "pop" and the door is open. AND a lot safer if one is unfortunate enough to have some sort of accident...(I hope not)....hahaha

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

5. rfraze

rfraze

Really excellent info in your albums. Thanks much.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  6. Good job, the 49 Fords especially, have very poor stock latches.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  7. Well, thanks again. They are more than poor-- they sound nasty when they close, too.. By the way, I'm adding pictures nearly every day in the Doors Gallery.... So check back often.. I'm not done yet. Plus I'll be adding the installation of single piece door glass and electric operated windows, too.... lots to see .....https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/The-Doors/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  8. Final report : ultimately I had to add a mechanical (bicycle brake cable assembly) to operate the bear claw latches with the inside door handles. The solenoids simply will not work with gaskets and windlace installed. To open the doors from the outside it is necessary to give them a "hip bump " while pressing the fob button. Pictures are on page two.

By the way, the first bicycle cable kit that I paid 999 for was trash because the sheath collapsed with very little Force when they are clamped so I bought the expensive sheath spiral wound that won't collapse with a clamp on it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  9. Also I added some spacers on the "open door " stop so that the cool sliding spring wiring harness Connector would not continue to be sliced into when the doors open all the way and eventually short out the wiring and ravage the paint on the forward edge of the doors.