Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to Install a flathead & K Member in an Model A V8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by VCS, Jan 29, 2012.

1. VCS

VCS

Would like to get advice/suggesstion on how to install flathead and K member in Model AV-8. Some background, have a bone stock 31 model A frame, 1941 flathead with bellhousing as part of the block, 39 top loader transmission, 32 Transmission mount, Vern Tardell front engine mounts and 32 style K member.

Seems straight forward, I have the bishop/tardell book where they did the same thing. However wanted the experiance of the HAMB memers who have actually done this before to point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

2. I'm sure there are 50 different ways to get it built, but if I had that book I'd consider it the Holy Grail. I think most of the guys here would agree.

3. walter

walter

Fallow the book. I did the one in my roadster using the book and everything fit great. Use the 32 pedals and the patern for the brake master cylinder mount and life will be good.
    Walter

4. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

cool thread so bttt

5. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Here is how I,m doing it. 39 engine and 39 transmission.

Attached Files:

6. brawler500

brawler500
    from Roxbury NJ

VCS,

One of the great things about building an AV8 with a Flathead and a K-member is that it is a "bolt together." The easiest way to find the position of the k-member and the placement of the engine is to mock it up with a Model A rear and a 32 wishbone up front. If you don't have a 32 wishbone then just bolt the model a rear to the transmission mount and install everything in the chassis. This will locate the k member and motor. Do a search on AV8 as there are several builds that have great pictures showing this or PM me and we can talk.

David