Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to infill lettering in metal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by casper50, Jun 19, 2020.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

being incredibly handsome and talented I would get some black paint and a proper brush and paint them that way. not sure what's wrong with the rest of you guys. this ain't rocket surgery.

2. The original painting was done with a stencil, not something easily done on a one-off basis...

If you have a good eye and a steady hand, the best way is with a small fine artists brush and spray paint sprayed into a cup. The spray paint is thin and will flow well, keep the brush 'wet' and 'flow' the paint into the desired areas. Don't let the areas you're working get dry as you'll get brush marks. And try to keep the paint 'level' (how much paint) in the indent as low as possible. It takes practice, but gives very good results. Keep some Qtips dampened with thinner handy to fix mistakes.

This is a slow process, not for the impatient...

FWIW, a guy I used to know who did this sort of thing recommended 'monument' paint, used to paint lettering on headstones. He claimed this had much higher pigment content so covered better with less paint plus was much better at resisting weather. Some pieces I got from him held up very well.

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Are you wet sanding with your finger tips?

4. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

No backed with a small flat piece of steel 1/2" thick.

5. Heat the plate up (around 70 /80 celcius, kitchen oven is OK), lay on a flat level surface (not metal, you don't want the plate cooling down too quick), enamel paint in a syringe, and, drop by drop, the paint will flow like water into the low , level spots. You will have to experiment with the thinners ratio for the paint, you want it thin enough to be able to be used in the syringe, but not too thin. Keep a hair dryer handy, to give the plate a little warm up as you go along.
    Also, a shot glass with your favorite poison is a good hand-steadier.

6. patterg2003

patterg2003

I would clean the plate with lacquer thinner or acetone as a degreaser. Since the letters are indented then level it as best as possible. Take a slightly thinned enamel then slowly tap & bleed the paint into a letter with a fine brush & let the paint self level. If it tends to flow one way then work with that direction then then let it dry and give it another coat with the plate shimmed to fill the rest of the letter for a second coat. Have some paper or poster board shims to adjust level as paint flows. If a letter messes up then it can be wiped off and redone with no issues.

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  7. X-cpe

X-cpe

I wonder if one of those shops that do vinyl lettering and signs could make you a stencil on some kind of low tack material.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think the guys suggesting to mask the plate off are on the right track. Masking tape is OK for this, not great, but you could give it a shot. I've found contact paper, the stuff you line kitchen cabinets with, works really good. Cover the plate, cut out the letters with an X-acto knife, spray it with black paint, after it's dry remove the masking.

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Frisket masking film may work, if you’re going to try masking it.

[​IMG]

You can get low tack or medium, it’s clear so you can see what you’re doing while cutting your pattern. I’ve used it for airbrush work on other projects.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. 31 5w

31 5w

Maybe a black Sharpie pen? Can clean-up area with thinner if you get outside the lines you want. Just dampen paper towel and wipe away from boo-boo-

lostmind and Atwater Mike like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Testors hobby paint must be clear coated afterwards, if exposed to elements. Door jambs/threshold plates maybe not so much:
    I have done the hood medallion on my '55 F100 (red background and chrome) 3 times, also the same on my 'Custom Cab' outer door plates & HAMB license plate 'topper'. Fades in 3 months, (truck is inside when I'm not driving it, which is every day...I like driving it, have for 45 years)
    BUT, I Hate having to repaint and detail these pieces every year. What'd Henry use???

loudbang likes this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I wish you lived here. , I would just come over and knock it out for you. You have plenty of ideas from the guys , just pick one and try it. Worse case you mess it up a little and you have to touch up .

brEad and alanp561 like this.
  13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

As said, go with a paint pen. My mom used to use those when we were kids. She would draw and write on our t-shirts.
    Get them at the craft shops.
    Tell them that I sent you...

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

o_O Wait a minute! You got headstones from this guy? Used or new?:confused:

Hnstray likes this.
  15. X-cpe

X-cpe

I remember taking a crafts class where we did some enameling. Sprinkled the material (colored glass powder?) on copper and put it in the kiln. Leads me to wonder about powder coating.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Not to be dumb, but why not ship the plates to somewhere to have them striped? Someone on here would surely hook you up.

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had this reproduced for a friend's 32 3W by a local trophy shop
    upload_2020-6-23_9-1-21.png

Hnstray likes this.
  18. cfmvw

cfmvw

Awhile back in Hot Rod Magazine there was an article about a Tucker that was built from scratch. There was a picture of someone named Hot Rod Jen who hand painted the font on the gauge cluster to perfection. Maybe someone on here can put you in touch with her, seems like she would be able to do something like that.

19. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

Like David said use something like this. Its available in a clear film or paper. I like the paper as it follows curved surfaces better than the film and it just may cut a little easier. The film is a little more transparent. Stick it on and cut out the letters following the impressed lines then spray paint. I have purchased rolls of it on-line and at my local auto parts store but you may even be able to buy single sheets at a craft store.. You could also check with any auto body shops in the area to see if they have a small piece you could get. I use RBL 371 Tracing / Masking Paper.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  20. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota