Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to hook up a 1940 Ford 3spd to a 8'' ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LUCKY R, Jul 17, 2012.

1. LUCKY R

LUCKY R
    from Denver

I have a 1940 Ford sedan,
    I am building the car in stages, I would like to put a leaf spring kit on the rear and run a 8'' rear end,Would like to know how to run a open drive shaft to connect to the stock 3 speed ,Looking for ideas or a method ,truck trans,kits,custom drive shaft,ect. (new to this site and just learning to navigate around) Chris in DENVER

2. Get an open drive 3 sp tail end and mounting casting and put it in your 40 box..........or get an open drive 3sp and swap the box out.

3. what he said......

PICT0016.jpg

4. LUCKY R

LUCKY R
    from Denver

So parts wise the truck and car 3 speeds have compatable parts. I will start looking into this .CR.

5. jw johnston

jw johnston

you need the output shaft and tailshaft/mount from a 39 to 50 ford half ton three speed truck trans to be compatible with your gears and box. i would pull yours a part and inspect all of the gears then take your first/reverse slider gear and output shaft and make sure it matches the truck trans output shaft (they changed the spiral cut on the output shaft in i belive 51.) you could also use an entire 1951 ford truck box column shifted, th box is stronger, diamond cut gears and needle bearings instead of caged needle bearings. just do your home work and check all parts for compatibility because ford made aton of three speed flathead boxes and gears that all look similiar but had subtle differences.

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i used guts from a 47' ford truck with a 6 popper. Just the guts from the case, and they fit right in my 39 toploader case

7. ram-rod

ram-rod

Search (flathead open) on US ebay there are to sellers there regular. they sell the bits for the open tail shaft around $150 might be expencive for your taste, but at least you can eyeball the parts you need.