Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to give away a project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rschilp, Jan 4, 2010.

1. rschilp

rschilp

I've got a dilemma..

I have too many cars and car parts, and I want to get rid of some. Some of these I've been selling off slowly, others I just want to get rid of without having to deal with selling them.

Part of what I have is essentially a very good start to a nice hot rod. Including an engine/trans, frame, front axle, some wheels and some other odds and ends. Most of it still attached to a car in some form or shape, so take the pieces you need and take the rest to the scrap yard or part it out.

I don't want to scrap it... just hurts too much.
    I don't want to give it away to someone just to make a quick buck.

I've been trying to give this stuff away, and I seem to have no success, one guy wants it, but his wife says no go, another came to pick it up, with a buyer in tow.. not what I had in mind when I give something away to someone who I thought was going to build their first hot rod.

So how do I pick a good recipient of a good start to a hot rod? The only catch I have is, when you finish it, you take me for a ride, if you don't finish give it to someone else to do so.

What I've got is a mostly 1947 Packard clipper with major rust problems.. but a good engine/trans/suspension/interior/dash and a clean title. A 1940's Ford front axle. A 1946 Zephyr frame/car (no axles, suspension or powertrain) also with a clean title. I would think it would make a great start for someones first project.

Any ideas?

2. freebird101

freebird101

well than throw it all to one HAMBER (I want it) that promises to make it a hot rod out of it
    I would be there in a heartbeat if I were closer

3. I like your style... i too have to much shit often,,, I also tried to give away and kept coming up short. Till I met a cool litle guy with a big heart, dreams and lotsa ambition. He was the winner of my free parts... Little bugger is off in college now, miss him, but hopefully he'll get good and smart so we can have fun while making doe!

I gave him this little T body, and a bunch of parts. My buddy Dave here on the Hamb gave him a great handful of stuff too. He is on his way!

Attached Files:

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're on the right track. Someone in your area is gonna want it. Nice of you, Rob!

5. rschilp

rschilp

I'm all for giving it to a Hamber that will take it and make something out of it.

If you think you can pickup two HUGE 1940's luxury cars, one without a drivetrain, you're welcome to come get them. if you can handle my gotcha.. I get a ride when it's done.

6. See your PM, Rob. That Packard might be a player for me.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I gave a '31 Chevy coupe to my father in law as a 60th birthday gift. It's his first hot rod and the time spent building together is going to be worth every penny I have in it plus some! I think finding someone that would cherish it and be very thankful is something to set your sights on. One option would be to HAMB auction it off and perhaps the proceeds could go to Ryan. Another would be to ask your friends if they know someone deserving. They probably know a guy or girl that hangs around but just has not jumped in for one reason or another. I think listing it as free in craigslist or in the HAMB classified would be your other or last option.

I know my friends would have no problem scooping up free parts whether they need them or not.

8. rschilp

rschilp

Packard is a 4 door car, starter and tail lights are missing.. many many extra parts.. Car is from Michigan and is probably not a good candidate to repair.. way too rusty.

But it rolls and if it stays dry and cold we can winch it out with the Willys and get it to a place where we can trailer it.

Clean Texas Title.

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

there is a pay it fwd post.

10. rschilp

rschilp

That is what I was thinking, I know I would have jumped on an offer like this when I was young or without a project, but I can't seem to locate someone like that now.

I like that idea, does anyone know how I start that process?

That's not what I want to do, I'm sure someone is willing to take the cars for parts and use them over time, but in that case I can just drag them to the back 40 and let them sit there until I need a part.. seems like a waste.

11. Be cool if a cool kid, with no cars yet would step up...

In that 1st pic I dropped, the car body in the left hand corner was built from a 26 T cowl, and a rusted 4 door Chevy. The kids 1st project.

12. rschilp

rschilp

If that would happen I would even deliver it to his place, just to get him/her started and I would help them if they wanted to ask questions, show them how it's done.

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

I got a 51 ford club coupe project given to me. I either build it , give it back, or give it to some one else. but I can't sell it. Now most of the parts have been given to me for the build, with the same agreement made. It looks like I am going to build this car. Cuz now we are attached at the hip with each other. It will work out for you, but be carefull who you gift them to. You can usually tell if the recipiant is sincere, by there excitement, and the look in there eyes...John

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not that I would be up to the challenge but are you saying you could build the 46 zephyr with the packard running gear?

I think its going to take someone really wanting the Zephyr to follow threw with that deal.
    Free or not it still wont be cheap.............what about the buyer/guy that was brought to look at it?
    What were his intentions?

15. rschilp

rschilp

I think that while it would be possible to build the Zephyr, it will be very expensive.

The Zephyr has a really nice frame under it (yes I know it's supposed to be a unibody car, it's not) that would fit the engine / trans / rear axle from the Packard very well, add body of your choice sourced elsewhere and you've got yourself a very nice and unique ride.

Not saying that this is a complete set of parts to build a top of the line car, just a very very good start. Recently there was a 1929 Tudor on Craigslist here locally for $300.. that would have really nicely completed this set of parts.

The guy that wanted to buy it wanted the Packard engine and was going to sell the Lincoln on ebay.

16. rschilp

rschilp

Not sure I get it... all the questions if this would be worth building.. but here you go, here is a set of pictures of the Packard, it's a lot worse then it looks, there is no floors in between the rockers and the trans tunnel and I don't think there is much left of the rockers either, the fenders and quarters are mostly bondo and fiberglass.

http://gallery.me.com/rschilperoort#100086&bgcolor=black&view=grid

The lincoln is a full car, with some interior, but in bad shape, most glass broken, lot's of rust and pieces missing, but the underlying frame is in great shape, the attached pictures are of a frame from a 1946 lincoln that my son is using for his project. These should give you an idea of what someone would be starting with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

That Packard running gear would look great in one of my ole Huppmobiles........

Mark

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Damn , I wish I lived closer . That will make one great family cruising hot rod !
    I wish the guy that came to my house today to ask about a carb he is trying to rebuild . His Dad gave him his 77 Ford p/u with 390 and he wants to fix it up . He loves the truck and won't part with it ! Runs good and all but has rust . Not too bad but he is 25 years old and wants to learn very badly how to do everything and build a hotrod one day . Well I open the door of my garage and I haven't seen a look on anyones face like that in a long time . He saw my 55 Ford that I am working on now and all the engines I have among all the other parts I have . He says I want something like that one day to fix up and just drive ! We all remember that same thing that happened to us .
    Anyway I told him I would teach him how to rebuild a motor I have ready to be built . Just got the block back about 2 months ago . He has a 390 in the truck plus a spare one so he wants to watch and help me rebuild the engine . You just don't see guys wanting to learn and do things like that much anymore . He asked me so many question while he was here and after about 3 hours he finally had to go home to get ready for work . He asked if he could watch and help me when I start replacing sheet metal and the whole 9 yards . I told him he is welcome to watch or help anytime .
    He reminded me of myself when I was you wanting the same thing but I was about 7 or 7 at that time and he is 25 . The way he kept thanking me and all , he was just so excited . No one will do that anymore .
    Anyway I just wanted to share this with you and there are truly still young guys wanting to go through all the work to build a "Old Car" !
    Hell I might be helping him build one in a few years , never know !

This is the kind of person you need to find to give your parts too !
    Good Luck and hope you find a good needy person for the Packard !

RetroJim

19. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Just a thought, how about donating it to a local to you high school auto shop class?

20. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

post a thread like this...

21. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I second this. Put a decent value on it, get the shop teacher to sign a reciept and deduct it off your income tax.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  22. rschilp

rschilp

:D :D :D

Tried that, the local high school shut down their program a few years ago and the nearest other high school that has auto shop class wants to teach their kids late model stuff "to get them ready for the real world"

23. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

I would take and build something ! NOT sell it...I can haul it away ! (I'm not going to beg) but if you're interested...

24. There's probably only one other guy on the planet who can see the same thing you do in that stuff. Sell the Packard to a Packard guy cheap, sell the Lincoln to a Lincoln guy cheap, put the '40 axle in the classified; Packard and Lincoln guys think they got a deal, someone gets an axle they need, shit is gone from your property, everyone's happy.

25. i got a bud w 56 merc 4 door frame off, body blasted new trunk and roof
    power steer sector and about 3 more spare cars located ada MN mostly the guy wants it out of his shop got a electronic 302 to power it, a lot of work to finish but he is motivated to get rid of it

26. rev616

rev616

i would offer to take that packard,but its too far from me! you can however give me the dash out of it for my buick coupe!

27. VanHorton

VanHorton

awww mel, it takes a big heart to step up and do what you did too...

seriously though rschlip, find a kid who wants to get his feet wet, hopefully they will work on it and appreciate the favor...

28. ewf

ewf
    from fl

29. 454navyss

454navyss

after the dairy-ette show on the first my girlfriend decided that sge wants a project if you want to give it away.

have you checked into donating it to the shop class at Naaman Forest? i know they have a different shop teacher than they did when i went there but they still might be interested in it.

30. rschilp

rschilp

Yes, I want to give it away.. understand that this is not an easy project.. but I guess the Packard could be salvaged if you really wanted it.

I'll PM you my info, maybe you can come over and have a look.