Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How to fit a chevy wheel to a ford steering column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Jun 27, 2015.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I would like to put a chevy impala steering wheel on my 56 ford steering column.Has anybody done thios? Is there an adaptor available? Thanks

2. If there is enough "meat" in both wheel hubs, you can put one hub into another wheel with some machine work.

3. Weld a section of the chevy steering shaft to the ford shaft.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Did something like that years back,the GM wheel was tapered but with lots of small splines,and the ford shaft was tapered too,but with a key way.
    I tryed placing the GM wheel on to ford shaft with out the key on the Ford shaft,it was fairly good,but the tapers were a little off each other matching up,so I Dramel tooled the GM hole tell it fit good and looked strait with the nut pulled on. Next after fig out were I wanted the key to hold wheel for it to look strait when its on,I took a one ended handel hacksaw and sawed lines down inside GM hub that were how wide and deep the Ford key was,clean that up with a file,and it work good.

5. pitman

pitman

The story of a rodder! ^^^

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

Everybody makes engine mounts to put a Chevy in a Ford, you'd think someone would make an adapter for the very popular Impala wheel no?o_O

clem likes this.
  7. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

The problem with an adapter is it would add too much length.....the posts above have it right.....either bore out the chevy wheel and turn down a ford hub and press/weld it in - or modify the shaft.......I guess another way would be to go with a chevy or aftermarket column and a u-joint or rag joint to the box......sorry, there is no easy bolt on to do what you want to accomplish